• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: WWE/MMA/Boxing Thread

ps - you may be right about no rematch GPX, Eddie walked back his post fight statement about a rematch clause……and specified that they have one more Rhiyad Season fight contractually agreed for Joshua, but that it’s basically up to Alalshikh who he wants to see AJ fight.

If the fight was a close, competitive fight with a finish in the later rounds, I'd be convinced that the rematch would be next. But it was a one-sided beatdown.

I think Usyk will beat Fury again, probably more decisively than before, and then retire. Tyson Fury doesn't fight nearly as often as I'd like and I don't know if he'd want to continue fighting following another loss. If he does, I think the AJ - Fury fight seems rather obvious. A final money fight for both of them.

One of the cons of fighters having control over their careers; They can purposely choose lower level fighters as a tune-up of sorts and still get handsomely compensated. We, the fans, will unfortunately eat shit.

Last edited:
Yup. But whatever brings us to Benavidez fighting Canelo, assuming Canelo actually stops ducking him, I'm down for.

These UFC cards are just not living up to the hype all year long. Sometimes you get 1 or 2 good fights on the same main card - but man, UFC is very open for a competitor with deep pockets (Middle East) to come in and make some noise with a better product + pay athletes well. I guess what Turner did to the WWF back in the day - but with better long term management.

These UFC cards are just not living up to the hype all year long. Sometimes you get 1 or 2 good fights on the same main card - but man, UFC is very open for a competitor with deep pockets (Middle East) to come in and make some noise with a better product + pay athletes well. I guess what Turner did to the WWF back in the day - but with better long term management.
Categorically false.

Categorically false.

With their willingness to lose money, the only hope. It’d be very tough, but I’m guessing if they bought off athletes and went the lawyer route to get them out of their contracts. I have always wondered what would happen in court if someone tried to buy out the fighters from these contracts that the courts are leaning towards saying the ufc are offside with them with the lawsuit. Might be the most interesting time to actually pressure the courts with flat out testing these contractor agreements. Trained lawyers might know the answer already lol.

It would come down to how well they can develop stars. The UFC has struggled doing this lately as they seem to not want a Conor situation to happen again. So lean on the brand more so. Competitors have really struggled with the marketing aspect.

I never thought the WWF could be in trouble, until they were for a bit. Who the fuck knows with the ufc - such a young sport.

American law, the way the UFC's structured their contracts and the fighters lack of any interest in forming a union makes it quite literally impossible for a competitor, regardless of how rich they are, to make a dent in the industry.

The UFC has set things up that they control the industry from top to bottom. There's a reason why so few of their top fighters ever get to real free agency, and when they do (Diaz & Ngannou), their careers are quite literally stalled out.

This is not my opinion: In the UFC lawsuit with the fighters, there were tons of emails with Joe Silva (former matchmaker) where he told the manager that if their fighter with one fight left on their contract didn't accept a new deal on their terms, they'd either sit them out for 6+ months or force them to fight a very difficult fight. But if they did sign the new contract, they'd give them a more favorable fight.

Also, part of UFC contract structure and the sunset clause they used to have, if a fighter was offered a fight and turned it down, the UFC could extend the length of their contract where they had control over the fighter's career. So when Nate Diaz was looking to fight out his contract to go to free agency, he accepted a fight with Khamzat Chimaev, who is the absolute worst possible matchup for him. He was willing to fight him Chimaev to complete his contract.

American law, the way the UFC's structured their contracts and the fighters lack of any interest in forming a union makes it quite literally impossible for a competitor, regardless of how rich they are, to make a dent in the industry.

The UFC has set things up that they control the industry from top to bottom. There's a reason why so few of their top fighters ever get to real free agency, and when they do (Diaz & Ngannou), their careers are quite literally stalled out.

This is not my opinion: In the UFC lawsuit with the fighters, there were tons of emails with Joe Silva (former matchmaker) where he told the manager that if their fighter with one fight left on their contract didn't accept a new deal on their terms, they'd either sit them out for 6+ months or force them to fight a very difficult fight. But if they did sign the new contract, they'd give them a more favorable fight.

Also, part of UFC contract structure and the sunset clause they used to have, if a fighter was offered a fight and turned it down, the UFC could extend the length of their contract where they had control over the fighter's career. So when Nate Diaz was looking to fight out his contract to go to free agency, he accepted a fight with Khamzat Chimaev, who is the absolute worst possible matchup for him. He was willing to fight him Chimaev to complete his contract.

Why I would find it interesting if someone actually tested walking out of a contract - knowing how unfair these contracts are (being tested in the current lawsuit). I don’t think anyone has singularly been taken to court trying to get out of the contract yet. Have wondered what would happen.

On top of it - I know Chael Sonnen is sometimes full of shit - but he seems pretty positive the fighter could get out of it. Wonder if that’s him talking or his lawyer.

Back