• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

PLAYOFF GDT: Series 4 / Game 5: @ Tampa Bay, Wednesday, July 7th, 8:00EST (TB Leads 3-1)

I'm not bothered by losing any of the so-called "Big 4" because what we saw during this run is literally as good as any of them will ever perform. It's all downhill from here, not just for Chariot, but all four of them. They all played well above their normal levels (Weber played up to his former level) but that's it. They've all shot their bolts and that's all we're going to get. So if Seattle takes Chariot or Edmundson or even Petry I'm unmoved. This team needs to get a lot younger and fast because the 21st century NHL is a young man's league. The dinosaurs can only get you so far and it ain't far enough.
Shouldn’t you be outside walking up & down the strip hunting down Leafs supporters wearing your new hat?

I agree - but he turned 30 and will be 31 for start of next contract, I don’t see him aging well.

Not sure what path Ron Francis will take w Seattle, but Chiarot knows the Western Conf well, and could potentially net a 2nd or maybe a 1st at trade deadline. It would suck for Habs to lose him, but every team loses one player, and $3.5M cap space will come in handy for MB.

Habs broke Romanov on slowly (especially in the playoffs), goal should be to have him play 17-20TOI next season even if on the 3rd pair - w short off-season will need to distribute time across 3-pairs for an 82GP schedule.

Different story. I also think he's a prime candidate for pick up for Seattle. But he served us well in his years here. True warrior.

The goalie carousel in the league is too unpredictable so I am just assuming Allen is not taken by Seattle.

If we go with 4-4-1

That leaves open:
Drouin (No way he is taken)
Evans
Lehkonen
Byron
Kulak
Fleury
And all the UFA's (no one will be taken from that list)

My choice would be Lehkonen. He is the best player on that list and without an over bloated contract with term.

We likely don't beat Toronto without him. He played over 90 minutes the last 3 games of that series, gave up no goals on the PK and finished +3.
He can't do the same in the regular season with the way it is called.

I just don't see who you expose to keep him.

I'm not bothered by losing any of the so-called "Big 4" because what we saw during this run is literally as good as any of them will ever perform. It's all downhill from here, not just for Chariot, but all four of them. They all played well above their normal levels (Weber played up to his former level) but that's it. They've all shot their bolts and that's all we're going to get. So if Seattle takes Chariot or Edmundson or even Petry I'm unmoved. This team needs to get a lot younger and fast because the 21st century NHL is a young man's league. The dinosaurs can only get you so far and it ain't far enough.
The dinosaurs got us to the Finals while being injured.. they still have gas in the tank..

The dinosaurs got us to the Finals while being injured.. they still have gas in the tank..
This season they played a grand total of 78 games, not even as many as a full regular season in a normal year and they were completely spent by the end. Next season (which because of the late finishing playoffs will not afford as much rest as usual) they will, if they expect to go deep, have to get through 82 regular season games and anywhere from 16 to 28 post season games. I'm not seeing it.

The real issue is rolling the top 4 too much. The Islanders rolled three pairs and pushed the lightning to 7 games.

If you're going to lean on the old timers you need to give them more rest. The Habs need three solid pairings that you can roll without fear.

This season they played a grand total of 78 games, not even as many as a full regular season in a normal year and they were completely spent by the end. Next season (which because of the late finishing playoffs will not afford as much rest as usual) they will, if they expect to go deep, have to get through 82 regular season games and anywhere from 16 to 28 post season games. I'm not seeing it.
The condensed schedule made this season harder on them than a regular season.

are you kidding me,, the regular season was condensed because of Covid..

in the regular season it's a different hockey game.. no way teams play us that hard all season long
Yeah, it is a different game. In the regular season, the hooking, holding, interfering, slashing and cross checking that the Big Four routinely got away with in the post-season gets called most of the time. They won't be permitted to turn the game into a rodeo and their lack of speed and mobility will be exposed.

He can't do the same in the regular season with the way it is called.

I just don't see who you expose to keep him.
Oh no, he's being exposed for sure. That's a different discussion. I'm just praising him for his work in the playoffs.

Chiarot didn't seem too concerned about the expansion draft in his presser

Back