• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Shane Wright

Any indication as to which teams we're talking about and/or which assets might be in play coming our way?

He wont divulge anything , only that Wright is a hot topic leading up to the draft

I think the Habs are happy with 4 or 5 players and if a cant say no deal comes along , its on the table

2023 is a great top 10 draft loaded with centers and top end skill

IMO Wright wouldnt go top 5 in next years draft

He wont divulge anything , only that Wright is a hot topic leading up to the draft

I think the Habs are happy with 4 or 5 players and if a cant say no deal comes along , its on the table

2023 is a great top 10 draft loaded with centers and top end skill

IMO Wright wouldnt go top 5 in next years draft

It's the same shit every year. They old Ryder,, Halak, 2nd pick type of offers.

But I agree with Krusty no way in hell they move it with the draft in Mtl.

If they see Cooley and Wright as equivalents, then all bets are off. NJ is taking Slaf no matter what.

Weber + Wright for Chychrun and Cooley.

The Habs will take Wright for one simple reason, the same reason why the Habs took Wickenheiser 42 years ago: risk aversion.

NHL GM's are uber-conservative and they make decisions not out of enlightenment but mostly out of fear. Back in 1980 nearly every team in the then 21 team NHL had Wick ranked as the #1 guy. Maybe 3 others had Dave Babych as their top pick. Not a single team had Denis Savard rated as first overall. So yes, with the benefit of hindsight it's possible to say that the Habs blew it but had any other team been picking first, they'd have made the same mistake. Savard ended up going at #3 behind Wick and Babych but had Chicago picked first and the Habs third, Wick would have been the Hawks' big mistake while Savard would have been a Habs' coup.

No GM at the time wanted to be embarrassed down the road by taking a flyer on Savard. Wick was the sure thing, the lead pipe cinch to be a superstar. To go against the grain came with more risk than NHL GM's were willing to take. Nothing has changed in the last four decades. If Wright is the consensus #1 pick and the Habs take Cooley instead and Wright goes on to be a star and Cooley becomes another Wick... The Habs aren't going to risk it.

The scouts and pundits who question Wright's position as the prohibitive favorite at #1 don't have the first overall pick. The Habs do.

So you wouldnt flip with Zona and take their # 1 unprotected in 2023
The issue is not what I would do, as I’m not Arizona or HuGo. Arizona is not going to offer that - they can draft Cooley at no. 3 because it’s 99.99 percent certain that NJ will not draft a center at no. 2. And the Canadiens aren’t going to just flip with Arizona for the hell of it. There is a PR element to picking 1OA at the Bell Center, right after your worst season ever, with a new management team. They’re not trading the pick. Get it through your thick noggin’, bro.

2003 is the last time an NHL team actually traded the first overall pick at the draft, before the pick was made.

Last edited:
99.99 yeah. It would take a stupid good offer and why would anyone do that for Wright? He's not Lindros.
“None of the top picks in this draft are all that, so let’s overpay and trade up to draft one of them.” Makes perfect sense, no?

So you wouldnt flip with Zona and take their # 1 unprotected in 2023
Sure I would consider it, if Zona were dumb enough to make such an offer. But no GM in his right mind ever would. Rejean Houle, on his worst day, doesn't make that trade. Gord Stellick, the guy who traded Russ Courtnall for John Kordic, wouldn't be that stupid.

Back