• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Shane Wright

If that 15 year old was playing Midget AAA you could say he plateaued. When a 15 year old scores like Wright did in the OHL against 17 and 18 year olds? That's not a mirage or a one off, that's a harbinger of things to come. You don't have to be a generational player to be a point a game player and have a Hall of Fame career. If the HHOF was reserved only for generational players it wouldn't be the Hall of Fame, it would be the Broom Closet of Fame because they wouldn't need much space.

If Wright pans out as expected, he will be the best player on the ice in most games he plays. His goal production went down a bit this season but his assists nearly tripled. 66 points in 58 games as a 15-16 year old and 94 points in 63 games this season while playing a 200 foot game. I'll take that bet every time.
Patrice Bergeron will be in the HHOF.

Trade for Askarov

Please. No.

I would like a rebuild that doesn't get propped up by a Hart Trophy winning goalie (Theo, Price)...let the chips fall where they may, so we can get max draft choice value.

Besides, I like our current speculative pipeline with Dichow and Dobes.

Because I expected us not to get the top pick I purposely avoided watching too many highlight reels of Wright. But now that we have the pick I've been looking at the video, especially what he was able to do as a 15 and 16 year old in his rookie year. This kid is the real deal. He can score from anywhere on the ice, whether it's in the dirty areas around the net or from the perimeter. He has an NHL caliber shot and he can snipe. He's also a good playmaker and as a right hand shot whoever plays left wing on his line is going to get rich. Yes he missed a year but his body of work is far more comprehensive than Cooley, who has barely played by comparison. I also am not convinced that the caliber of play in the NCAA is quite as NHL-like as the OHL. And the Russkie is an air sandwich. He's ranked high because he's 6'4" and 218lbs. Otherwise I'm not sure what makes him good.

Because I expected us not to get the top pick I purposely avoided watching too many highlight reels of Wright. But now that we have the pick I've been looking at the video, especially what he was able to do as a 15 and 16 year old in his rookie year. This kid is the real deal. He can score from anywhere on the ice, whether it's in the dirty areas around the net or from the perimeter. He has an NHL caliber shot and he can snipe. He's also a good playmaker and as a right hand shot whoever plays left wing on his line is going to get rich. Yes he missed a year but his body of work is far more comprehensive than Cooley, who has barely played by comparison. I also am not convinced that the caliber of play in the NCAA is quite as NHL-like as the OHL. And the Russkie is an air sandwich. He's ranked high because he's 6'4" and 218lbs. Otherwise I'm not sure what makes him good.
Bro, he's Slovakian.

If that 15 year old was playing Midget AAA you could say he plateaued. When a 15 year old scores like Wright did in the OHL against 17 and 18 year olds? That's not a mirage or a one off, that's a harbinger of things to come. You don't have to be a generational player to be a point a game player and have a Hall of Fame career. If the HHOF was reserved only for generational players it wouldn't be the Hall of Fame, it would be the Broom Closet of Fame because they wouldn't need much space.

If Wright pans out as expected, he will be the best player on the ice in most games he plays. His goal production went down a bit this season but his assists nearly tripled. 66 points in 58 games as a 15-16 year old and 94 points in 63 games this season while playing a 200 foot game. I'll take that bet every time.
McDavid
15 years old - 63 games - 25g, 41a for 66 points
16 years old - 56 games - 28g, 71a for 99 points
17 years old - 47 games - 44g, 76a for 120 points

Wright
15 years old - 58 games - 39g, 27a for 66 points - actually a bit better than the mcdavid numbers
16 years old - no games
17 years old - 63 games - 32g, 62a for 94 points - mcdavid was a bit better at 16 years old then wright at 17

Wright is no mcdavid - but what did the missed year do?
There are really good players that are not McDavid.....

Nugent Hopkins

15 years old - 5 games - 2g, 4a for 6 points
16 years old - 67 games - 24g, 41a for 65 points
17 years old - 69 games - 31g, 75a for 106 points - so similiar to wright

I am guessing Wright is somewhere in the middle - but is it closer to nuge or mcdavid

i am not a fan of the comparison to bergeron - as he is a unicorn - if it turns out that way - sweet but people also thought every big guy was the next Lucic

Reactions: CH1
Bro, he's Slovakian.
Tomato, tomahto. He's playing in Finland and his stats don't exactly jump off the page so who knows what this guy will become as an NHLer? You can look at Wright and easily see him as an elite NHL player. Given the way he plays and the type of hockey being played in the OHL it is not difficult to project what he might become. But a kid playing college hockey in the States or a Ru...err...Slovakian kid playing in Finland? No idea.

Barring injuries I think Wright will be the best player out of this draft over the long haul. If a pip-squeak like Caufield can come out of college hockey at five foot nothing, a hundred and nothing and score 23 goals on a garbage team, Wright can be even better.

Back