• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Shane Wright

See and that comparison in numbers makes me feel pretty damn good about Wright. Even with 2 years of development being hugely interrupted he still put up those numbers.

Don't get me wrong... I'd love to have see a lot more out of him, and I'm not "guaranteeing" that he'll be a surefire stud centerman. However, I feel very strongly that he's going to be a very good top line center, with the potential to be an elite one. Very unlikely that he'll be a generational player, but I don't think it's unreasonable to think he could be a top 5ish center in the game in a few years.

Sure, I can say that he was robbed of 2 years of development... but it's yet to be seen how he develops over the next 2 or so seasons.
You only have to watch the highlight reel to see that Wright is a stud who will probably wear a Team Canada jersey at the next Olympics and become one of the league's premier players. No, not McDavid level, no real "wow" factor, but elite nonetheless.

See and that comparison in numbers makes me feel pretty damn good about Wright. Even with 2 years of development being hugely interrupted he still put up those numbers.

Don't get me wrong... I'd love to have see a lot more out of him, and I'm not "guaranteeing" that he'll be a surefire stud centerman. However, I feel very strongly that he's going to be a very good top line center, with the potential to be an elite one. Very unlikely that he'll be a generational player, but I don't think it's unreasonable to think he could be a top 5ish center in the game in a few years.

Sure, I can say that he was robbed of 2 years of development... but it's yet to be seen how he develops over the next 2 or so seasons.

Top 5 C in the game would be a home run pick

I have watched him since he was 14 , my cousins kid played with him for 2 years in the GTHL

Some nights he didnt battle hard enough but I think it was more due to being bored and playing down to the competition .

He is not generational but should a good first line C

GGPx had a good post about having a Backstrom caliber career ( not style just impact potential )

Simply put this pick has to hit

Precisely no one is saying that Wright will be a generational player. Generational players, by definition, come along once in a generation. But most of the players currently in the Hall of Fame weren't generational. They were, however, elite (well, except for the obvious duds like Federko, Gillies and Duff who don't belong there) and Wright has all the tools necessary to be an elite top line center for the bulk of his career.

Also, Dahlin is a defenseman (who generally take longer to mature) and he plays for a crap, directionless franchise in Buffalo. If the Sabres wanted to trade him they'd have plenty of very good offers to choose from, despite Dahlin's underachievement.

Dahlin took a major stride this year , and getting close to being a star ...not Makar, or Hedman elite but in the second tier star range

It is very difficult on a player when you play for a shit team and so much is expected early on

Top 5 C in the game would be a home run pick

I have watched him since he was 14 , my cousins kid played with him for 2 years in the GTHL

Some nights he didnt battle hard enough but I think it was more due to being bored and playing down to the competition .

He is not generational but should a good first line C

GGPx had a good post about having a Backstrom caliber career ( not style just impact potential )

Simply put this pick has to hit
100% on the last part. They cannot afford to swing and miss on this pick and they can't just get a bunt single or a ground rule double. For this one pick, they have to hit a dinger and clear the bases. It's not that Wright has to be generational, but he can't be a Nugent-Hopkins. Moreover, if they do take Wright, he can't wind up being an inferior player to Cooley or Slafkovsky. Maybe some guy taken at #10 (Geekie?) winds up being the best player of the draft 20 years from now, but that would just be a fluke and the Habs wouldn't be on an island of ignorance by themselves. They'd have 9 other teams right there with them. But Wright has to at least be better than those other two guys who are going to go in the top 3. They can't pick Wickenheiser 2.0 while New Jersey or Arizona gets another Denis Savard.

Dahlin took a major stride this year , and getting close to being a star ...not Makar, or Hedman elite but in the second tier star range

It is very difficult on a player when you play for a shit team and so much is expected early on
I still believe Dahlin will be a Norris contender for many years.

I still believe Dahlin will be a Norris contender for many years.

Sabres should be a much improved team this year , he needs those secondary assists to pad his stats

It will be Makar for the next decade with Josi and Hedman for a few more years

Dahlin is in the next mix

Wright has played more than twice as many games as Cooley, who some team in the top 5 (likely Arizona in the third spot) is going to select and be quite happy to do so. I see him as a reach because he's hardly played at all. Wright's chances of becoming a great NHL player are much more predictable than any other player in this draft and certainly more predictable than Slaf or Cooley. Maybe if Slaf was a center I might hem and haw a little but he isn't so Wright is the right call as far as I'm concerned. He won't be generational but he could be a future Hall of Famer all the same.
You do realize Slaf has played about 4x as many games as Wright over last couple of seasons right?

Also as I posted before, Slaf has dominated @ Olympics & WC vs grown men vs U18 kids

I’ve heard it said that Wright does all the little things that coaches love. Not sure how that translates, but I’ll guess there are tonnes of responsible, high-IQ prospects who never made due to lack raw ability.

Is it possible the combine actually matters this year?

I’ve heard it said that Wright does all the little things that coaches love. Not sure how that translates, but I’ll guess there are tonnes of responsible, high-IQ prospects who never made due to lack raw ability.

Is it possible the combine actually matters this year?

Other than interviews and some other aptitude testing , many of the other metrics dont mean much

He could barf winning the VO2 test or have the best vertical leap

All I care about is his development as a 1C

The NFL is notorious for falling in luv with fancy tests and then a player cant catch a ball or read a play and looks like shit

I dunno... Casey Mittelstadt looked like a future star, until he couldn't do a pull up.

You definitely want to use the results carefully... but there's definitely some value.

In many ways this is like the 3OA selection of 2012 draft - talk of Grigorenko & Forsberg at start of draft season but both of whom fell because of a poor showing at WJC during draft season & Galchenyuk who got benefit of doubt because he simply hadn’t played much due to knee injury.

I dunno... Casey Mittelstadt looked like a future star, until he couldn't do a pull up.

You definitely want to use the results carefully... but there's definitely some value.

Brady couldn`t bench press once , others look like chiseled gods but cant process the game

Watching the Canes series on TNT, they mentioned Svechnikov was brought up penniless / dirt poor, and work ethic & desire was ingrained due to sheer necessity for family survival (identical story line to Panarin and some guy named Jagr) creating that drive factor - all 3 players were renowned for being told by coaches they were forbidden to stay on after practice for fear they would spend all night on the ice & not get any sleep.

I’m curious what the back story line is with Wright & Slaf?

You can’t teach hunger …

Watching the Canes series on TNT, they mentioned Svechnikov was brought up penniless / dirt poor, and work ethic & desire was ingrained due to sheer necessity for family survival (identical story line to Panarin and some guy named Jagr) creating that drive factor - all 3 players were renowned for being told by coaches they were forbidden to stay on after practice for fear they would spend all night on the ice & not get any sleep.

I’m curious what the back story line is with Wright & Slaf..
I like how you think.

Slafkovsky has played basically non-stop since last August. He was dominant at the Ivan Hlinka Under-18 tournament before playing one game for Slovakia at the Olympic qualifying tournament. He then played 11 games with the TPS Turku junior team in Finland, 31 regular season games with TPS in Liiga, another 18 playoff games and four Champions League games as well. We saw him briefly at the world junior championship in Alberta for two games, he was named MVP of the Olympic tournament in February, and he just played eight games at the world championship, finishing as Slovakia’s top scorer with nine points.

That’s a lot of hockey, and many different situations he was exposed to, and the fact Slafkovsky kept improving throughout the course of his season is one of the most impressive things about him.

Back