• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Shane Wright

“Zero chance,” LOL.
Lots of the highlights I’ve seen of Slaf, he’s pounding opposing players to the ice.

Kid is already a horse…with hands and speed.

I still think they pick Wright….but damn Slaf seems like the total package

Lots of the highlights I’ve seen of Slaf, he’s pounding opposing players to the ice.

Kid is already a horse…with hands and speed.

I still think they pick Wright….but damn Slaf seems like the total package
I wouldn’t be overly bummed if they picked Slaf.

Yes. But we why do you think that’s what he’s almost guaranteed to become?
I have no idea what he's almost guaranteed to become, and that's the issue with him.

The consensus seems to be that he's going to be a two-way NHL player.

After that, though, there seems to be no consensus. Some think he's a 1st line center, some a 2nd, some a 3rd.

There's already a lot of information missing on players that are drafted at 18; Moreso on this year's batch of players because some like Wright didn't play hockey for a full year outside of a handful of games.

Wright, based purely on his 15 year old season, looks like he could be a superstar. But then there are games (from reports I've seen, I haven't watched any of his games in a long time) where he doesn't seem committed, didn't backcheck hard in the U18 finals, doesn't always win his one on one battles.

This is frankly a terrible year to be drafting first overall. Everyone in the lottery has question marks about them.

Gun to my head, if forced to pick, I'd still pick Wright. But in an ideal world, I'd much rather trade down.

I have no idea what he's almost guaranteed to become, and that's the issue with him.

The consensus seems to be that he's going to be a two-way NHL player.

After that, though, there seems to be no consensus. Some think he's a 1st line center, some a 2nd, some a 3rd.

There's already a lot of information missing on players that are drafted at 18; Moreso on this year's batch of players because some like Wright didn't play hockey for a full year outside of a handful of games.

Wright, based purely on his 15 year old season, looks like he could be a superstar. But then there are games (from reports I've seen, I haven't watched any of his games in a long time) where he doesn't seem committed, didn't backcheck hard in the U18 finals, doesn't always win his one on one battles.

This is frankly a terrible year to be drafting first overall. Everyone in the lottery has question marks about them.

Gun to my head, if forced to pick, I'd still pick Wright. But in an ideal world, I'd much rather trade down.

Team needs to tell Joisy if you want Slaf you need to move up a slot

Trading with Columbus for their firsts would be best move, but , yeah, it ain’t happening. And I’m not sure the Blue Jackets would do it.

I think you're all crazy. Wright is a legit #1 pick. Maybe not generational, but he's a surefire top line center.

Even in these past 2 seasons with Covid throwing a wrench into everything and messing with the these young guys' developments he's had excellent seasons. Of course not quite what we'd have liked to see out of him given his "exceptional status." However, he was still the top draft eligible 18 year old prospect out there. That's after a slow start to the year too. Plus he's known to be a responsible 2 way guy.

You take this pick and sleep like a baby.

Who's all?

Pretty much everyone to a man has said Wright is the pick.

Hitting the sauce are ya?

HP sounds like a lot of what I read by "pundits" when it was the Rasmus Dahlin draft.

He's generational! He's this! He's that! He's going to be the best!

Uh, what about his bad playoffs in the SEL?

Whatever! Not worth bringing up!

You can like Wright, there's nothing wrong with that. However, there are holes that can be poked at in his game and there are legitimate concerns. Unfortunately, Covid robbed him of a full season to give us more information about him.

Comparison time.

Player A (Draft season)
63GP 32G 62A 94 PTS
Averages to
82GP 42G 80A 122PTS

Player B (Draft season)
65GP 45G 51A 96PTS
Averages to
82GP 56G 64A 120PTS

Player A is Shane Wright.

Player B, though... Want to make a guess? He's in the NHL, really good player, a tiny bit smaller than Wright (6' vs 5'11"), plays the same position and while their games aren't the same, they have the label of being two-way players.

Player B is Nick Suzuki, btw.

Again, just for argument's sake, if we take Wright and he ends up as Nugent-Hopkins / Suzuki type of NHL career as #2 centers that can get 20g/40a more or less, is that a disappointment?

Can someone tell me Slaf’s stats this year. Talent doesn’t always equate to goal scoring so I’m curious how he actually produced. I remember our KK pick who had a ton of raw potential and talent. Is Wright not the safer pick? Even if Slaf ends up better I think we can’t risk it.

Back