• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Sinclair/Ballys/ESPN/TNT ... broadcasting access, tips and notes

*AH*

Most of us - y'all - are covered by your cable or...? package for getting games on TV. And many of us would be AT all or many games live if not for the Covid that has so disrupted our lives. And there are three more diseases that're gonna vex us as well: the cable/streaming/ISP service, Sinclair, and Bally whose sole raison d'etre is to separate many more fans from their money - no matter how much of it is family/household funds.

I've been able to make it work out with Fox Sports GO (and 'last season' with YouTubeTV) despite Spectrum whose remote program does not allow ANY live current sports channels. And despite our illustrious Harvard grad color-guy, I have yet to actually find the app he proclaims is wondrous and available. That usually means phone or tablet, tho' I saw some reference to web browser as well. I have no knowledge of how to port such a signal to a TV size screen. I use HDMI now from a laptop but USB...? Any input..., experience?

Bill and Kurtz explain my wordiness well and 'Nam, your timeframe is likely right. With the next two games on NBCSN that may give us some time to figure out a bit more. I did see that {"The FOX Sports GO app will update to the all-new Bally Sports app upon the release of the new app. Fans can also download the app for free from … (???) Does it mean clicking the FS Go will directly link to Bally?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still not sure about finding a Bally app. And it looks like I might have some major problems getting the games. There are two other options.

The first puts me in bed with some whores I'd prefer not: Sinclair, Bally and AT&T TV at the outrageous sum of $85.00 /mo.

I have thought about a VPN and pretty much understand how they work in general. I may need some guidance in specifics. I'd prefer not to learn by trial and error and would appreciate hearing from those who've been there. I will likely use Mozilla. Will it shield and hide me from local blackouts on NHLTV? THIS IS MY BIGGEST QUESTION - - ANY EXPERIENCE ON THIS?

Last edited:
Bally app will not be available until just after midnight the day they take over the RSNs. It’s a licensing issue. At least that is how it’s worked in the past with other services. Best bet is to download it sometime on the 31st.

And what do you mean spectrums remote program won’t let you watch live sports? I watch on the spectrum app just about every night and the Fox sports go app with my spectrum login on other nights. Maybe I’m misunderstanding what you’re saying

I have Spectrum at home in Raleigh & several hundred channels. We have been hunkering at our coast house for over a year - wife's son is at Raleigh house. The remote I refer to is the watch live tv thingy: most all channels are available here BUT NO local Raleigh area channels and no live sports, i.e. ESPN(s), Fox Sports, NBC Sports. I do have the GO app and can get NBC Sports thru a browser but only via computer ported to tv via HDMI.

And what do you mean spectrums remote program won’t let you watch live sports? I watch on the spectrum app just about every night and the Fox sports go app with my spectrum login on other nights. Maybe I’m misunderstanding what you’re saying
I think what Allen is referring to is that you can only watch some channels (including FSC) in the app when you're connected to the Wi-Fi in the home where you have Spectrum service. That's why he's needed the Fox Sports Go app to watch the games live when he's trying to watch from his home on the coast.

Can't really help, other than confirming that the Spectrum TV app cuts way, way down on the number of cable channels you can live stream when you are not at the address of service, so if you're trying to use your Raleigh Spectrum TV from the coast, yup, that's Broken As Designed. I use the Spectrum TV app on tablets (as well as 2 of the 3 TV's in the house so I only need 1 cable box), and when I take the tablet on the road, the channel list is much reduced.

Last edited:
I think what Allen is referring to is that you can only watch some channels (including FSC) in the app when you're connected to the Wi-Fi in the home where you have Spectrum service. That's why he's needed the Fox Sports Go app to watch the games live when he's trying to watch from his home on the coast.

Oh ok. Fox Sports Go works for me when I’m at Emerald Isle. Hopefully the Bally’s app will also

It should work the same way as Fox Sports Go...emphasis on "should."
Should yeah ... it's my understanding that all they are changing right now is the graphic overlays. The app's structure and programming are supposed to be the same until they fold in updated features later this year. That said ... best of luck everyone.

Bill, Andy, all who have experience connecting a tablet (or phone) to a TV. Help me understand how and what to expect. I'm used to laptops and HDMI but it looks like USB is the only way from a tablet. I have a Samsung Android and Barb has an I-Pad.

I may have found an app that will hide the IP address from NHLTV by 'spoofing'. Not illegal but against the terms for NHLTV but then with all the crap they put us through I'm not exactly broken hearted.

Bill, Andy, all who have experience connecting a tablet (or phone) to a TV. Help me understand how and what to expect. I'm used to laptops and HDMI but it looks like USB is the only way from a tablet. I have a Samsung Android and Barb has an I-Pad.

I may have found an app that will hide the IP address from NHLTV by 'spoofing'. Not illegal but against the terms for NHLTV but then with all the crap they put us through I'm not exactly broken hearted.
I’ve never had a problem connecting my iPad to the TV. If you don’t have a streaming device on your TV, you can make a hard connection with a lightning to HDMI adapter for the iPad. They ain’t cheap though, but at least you can charge the iPad while you’re streaming.

I’ve never had a problem connecting my iPad to the TV. If you don’t have a streaming device on your TV, you can make a hard connection with a lightning to HDMI adapter for the iPad. They ain’t cheap though, but at least you can charge the iPad while you’re streaming.

Yeah ... at that point it might be easier just to buy a streaming device that would allow you to cast from your iPad. Plus, that would make it easier to stream other stuff.

Yeah ... at that point it might be easier just to buy a streaming device that would allow you to cast from your iPad. Plus, that would make it easier to stream other stuff.
That's would I endorse as well. I cast a bunch of stuff from my iPad (Peacock, ESPN+, AppleTV+ etc.) because my 2017 model Samsung doesn't have built-in apps for them (and is a generation too old to install new apps from these services). A Chromecast from Google or a Fire stick from Amazon (both are under $50) will do the trick; I have both attached to the TV.

One thing I can't figure out in this whole transition is that I'm seeing messages that the Fox Sports Go app will change update to the Bally Sports app. I can't imagine that Fox Sports--which covers a lot of things beyond the RSNs they've sold to Sinclair, such as FOX, FS1, etc.--is not going to continue to have content on Fox Sports Go. That would mean that the Bally Sports app should be a new app, but that runs counter to messages I've seen on Twitter from Bally Sports-owned accounts.

Update from their Twitter. Just keep
Using the Fox Sports Go app it will automatically update. Eventually

That's my point. What is Fox Sports--which again, still includes events broadcast on FOX, FS1, FS2, and other outlets--going to offer for streaming if Fox Sports Go updates to Bally Sports?

That's my point. What is Fox Sports--which again, still includes events broadcast on FOX, FS1, FS2, and other outlets--going to offer for streaming if Fox Sports Go updates to Bally Sports?

They have a separate Fox Sports app that has those channels. I’m watching it now as a matter of fact

Apparently, there is/was an issue with the Fox Sports Go app and U-verse? I think I’m one of the few subscribers on this board, but my daughter couldn’t get the game on the app last night. I tried logging in at the arena and the message came up that it wasn’t authorized. My wife used it last week, was last night a one time thing?

Back