• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Sinclair/Ballys/ESPN/TNT ... broadcasting access, tips and notes

Sadly this is all a fairly accurate depiction of the league's standing in the sports world. Their regional networks are basically scratch and dent shelf stock, and the only interested party is the league itself. Congrats to Gary Bettman for another triumph.
This impacts MLB and NBA teams as much as it does the NHL.

This impacts MLB and NBA teams as much as it does the NHL.
I mean, yes ... but to an entirely different degree. The RSN revenue is a much higher percentage of an NHL team's operating budget than for any of those clubs. The NBA has a proper national broadcast rights deal and MLB has their insane gate receipts to fall back on.

I read a couple of those articles yesterday. It sounds to me like bankruptcy is roughly equally as likely as an immediate sale to the NHL, but I think the league can probably end up paying far less for the assets if they purchase the RSN rights out of bankruptcy. It's a matter of weighing the short term loss of revenues for impacted teams while Sinclair operates in bankruptcy against the lower out of pocket expense up front. At the end of the day, the NHL is almost certainly going to end up with the regional rights and that's going to be a good thing for everyone in the long run. The question is how much cash flow pain the teams will have to endure while the matter is settled.

Dundon ought to love this. It's the ultimate distressed asset acquisition. Sinclair got the RSNs for roughly half their market value in the Disney/Fox fire sale and now the NHL is going to end up with the RSNs for half of that. Sadly this is all a fairly accurate depiction of the league's standing in the sports world. Their regional networks are basically scratch and dent shelf stock, and the only interested party is the league itself. Congrats to Gary Bettman for another triumph.
It’s not just the NHL, the NBA and MLB are involved in the purchase too. I don’t know how the NBA would work it, but MLB Advanced Media took over the NHL websites 7 years ago. They had also taken over NHL.tv but I don’t know how that ap was affected by the NHL/ESPN deal. If they operate the RSNs, it shouldn’t be that big of a change, they have a background in it and bid on them when Disney sold them.

It’s not just the NHL, the NBA and MLB are involved in the purchase too. I don’t know how the NBA would work it, but MLB Advanced Media took over the NHL websites 7 years ago. They had also taken over NHL.tv but I don’t know how that ap was affected by the NHL/ESPN deal. If they operate the RSNs, it shouldn’t be that big of a change, they have a background in it and bid on them when Disney sold them.
Yeah, the technical/production side of things shouldn't really be impacted at all, and at the end of the day this is a chance for the NHL to consolidate its broadcast rights. At a cost, obviously, but less of a cost than they would have incurred before the Disney acquisition of Fox triggered all the market upheaval. But I still feel like the NHL and the other leagues dropped the ball in not being more proactive in the Disney/Fox fire sale. They played the passive participant role and got caught up in Sinclair's obvious ineptitude. There was no possible way this was going to end well once those clowns got involved.

Ok you techno wizards-I am late to the game on streaming from my phone or iPad to the tv. It looks like I just need an Apple lightening to digital AV adapter and a HDMI cable. Will this let me stream the games from the Canes' website?
Thanks

That should work, or probably for not much more money buy a Roku and do it wireless; that's what we do on our TVs.

I have Roku-but how do you get the stream to the Roku since Bally Sports isn't supported? (Pls help this techno weenie)
For preseason I will bring it up on the website and then use screen mirroring to broadcast to the Roku.

I'm in Boston so I just use ESPN+ all season on the Roku.

Yes. It’s so much easier to just use Apple airplay if you have iPhone or iPad and steam it wirelessly. Android has similar features I just don’t know what it’s called.

just click on the airplay icon and choose your tv or device you want to stream too. If you have never done it before your screen will prompt you to set it up

Attachments

• 204D8E7D-802D-4757-83DF-DB0404C04496.jpeg
    204D8E7D-802D-4757-83DF-DB0404C04496.jpeg
    109.9 KB · Views: 1
My contract was up with Dish so I tried several streaming options and have settled on Directv Stream and love it. Unlike the traditional directv i used to have, Directtv stream has Ballys. Saving me lots of money and has every channel I watch with unlimited DVR. I bought the optional box that comes with it and use it instead of the smart tv app. It works great.

I got the Bally Plus 7 day free trial just to check it out. I signed up while in NC and am now in Massachusetts. The app keeps telling me that by watching while out of my home area, I risk losing my service. What is that all about? If I’m in NC I’d have to get the Bally app but if I’m not I’d have to get the ESPN app? Is that seriously the way this mess works now? Will probably end up back with DirecTV Stream.

I don't know how they managed this, but the audio is a good 10 seconds ahead of the video on the Bally's channel on Directv Stream. LOL. I have to now watch it on my phone with the sound muted and let Mrs NoMich watch whatever.

I don't know how they managed this, but the audio is a good 10 seconds ahead of the video on the Bally's channel on Directv Stream. LOL. I have to now watch it on my phone with the sound muted and let Mrs NoMich watch whatever.
Those boys could screw up a nocturnal emission.

That happened a couple of times last year too. It generally regulated before the end of the game, but ... woof.

You won’t have to deal with them until Tuesday. Tonight is ESPN+, Sunday is regular ESPN.

Back