• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Sinclair/Ballys/ESPN/TNT ... broadcasting access, tips and notes

Season 40 doesn't start until Monday the 11th, so it's still in re-runs this week ... tick, tock, tick tock.

All kidding aside, from what I'm reading this Disney/Charter thing could potentially be an issue for quite a while since to one degree or another both sides a looking for model-changing new carriage fee structures. Better line up those Plan B options.
Do we know what format season 40 will be in? Their writers are on strike, are they using recycled questions?

Do we know what format season 40 will be in? Their writers are on strike, are they using recycled questions?
I saw a blurb back at the start of the strike indicating that Jeopardy had enough new clues and recycled unused clues banked to do the first segment of their taping schedule and that they were trying to find a way to carry on past that. Tournament of Champions got postponed indefinitely.

I saw a blurb back at the start of the strike indicating that Jeopardy had enough new clues and recycled unused clues banked to do the first segment of their taping schedule and that they were trying to find a way to carry on past that. Tournament of Champions got postponed indefinitely.
I think the majority of the TOC participants said they wouldn’t cross a picket line, nor will Mayim Bialik. So we have Ken Jennings for the foreseeable future.

I’m in a real shit place by the sound of things after reading this thread. Currently on Directv regular satellite programming with no CBS heading into NFL season. Google Fiber about a month away from being available in our neighborhood and I want to pull the plug on Directv once Google Fiber is here and go to YouTube tv full time as a streaming option, But if I’m reading all these comments correctly going to YouTube TV means no Canes games unless I purchase a BallysSports package over and above a YTTV subscription? It’s expensive enough to keep the Disney bundle for NHL programming on ESPN Plus…and the good old blackout takes me out of the Canes games option on there.

...But if I’m reading all these comments correctly going to YouTube TV means no Canes games unless I purchase a BallysSports package over and above a YTTV subscription?...
This is correct. If you go with Hulu or YouTube TV, you have no Canes games unless it's a nationally televised one.

I’m in a real shit place by the sound of things after reading this thread. Currently on Directv regular satellite programming with no CBS heading into NFL season. Google Fiber about a month away from being available in our neighborhood and I want to pull the plug on Directv once Google Fiber is here and go to YouTube tv full time as a streaming option, But if I’m reading all these comments correctly going to YouTube TV means no Canes games unless I purchase a BallysSports package over and above a YTTV subscription? It’s expensive enough to keep the Disney bundle for NHL programming on ESPN Plus…and the good old blackout takes me out of the Canes games option on there.
This is accurate. In your case, you'll probably be best off with YouTube TV combined with a monthly payment for the Ballys app which you can drop once the Canes season is done. That way you'll get your NFL on CBS.

Personally, I barely watch the NFL anymore these days, so I'm sticking with DirecTV. BTW, if you do drop cable, you'll need to adjust to rotating through various apps and services seasonally as your needs change and as the offerings on the various services change. It's a big mindset shift, but once you cut the cable, you're basically a content mercenary. If prefer YTTV, but if they don't give me what I need from their service, they can pound sand until they do.

CBS is also available on Hulu Live
It is ... but Ballys RSN, not so much. So far as I can tell, there's no one size fits all solution for the sports fans who want everything. There's more stuff available, but only from multiple outlets.

For what I watch it, was cheaper for me to get directv stream. Then I got the Disney Plus trio deal that includes Hulu and ESPN+. That is only 12.99 for all 3, if you don’t mind ads. It’s 19.99 for all three with no ads. Youtube tv was just missing too many things that I watch.

For what I watch it, was cheaper for me to get directv stream. Then I got the Disney Plus trio deal that includes Hulu and ESPN+. That is only 12.99 for all 3, if you don’t mind ads. It’s 19.99 for all three with no ads. Youtube tv was just missing too many things that I watch.
Be aware that ESPN+ does not mean you get ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN News, and ESPN U.

Yeah, for whatever it's worth that Disney bundle is pretty cost effective for what you get. Disney+, Hulu (not the live TV version) and ESPN+ for less than $15 a month doesn't suck as a supplement to whatever live TV streamer you select.

Yeah, for whatever it's worth that Disney bundle is pretty cost effective for what you get. Disney+, Hulu (not the live TV version) and ESPN+ for less than $15 a month doesn't suck as a supplement to whatever live TV streamer you select.
And if you’re a Verizon Wireless customer with certain 5G plans, the bundle is $10/month.

And if you’re a Verizon Wireless customer with certain 5G plans, the bundle is $10/month.
FWIW ... it's less than that for D23 members who can buy a 3 year version for like $3.50 a month. Pretty sure they don't offer the 5 year version of the bundle that I got ... checks notes ... almost 5 years ago. Crap.

So is the Bally RSN bankruptcy status so fragile that at any given time the entire company could just be dissolved leaving many of these teams scrambling mid-season for another platform to show these games on? I know Bally for the Canes telecast is acting as if it's business as usual with Tripp and Mike etc coming back...but is it still a precarious situation overall?

I think Bally's is taking it one court case at a time? They're offering to stay on as the TV partner to the leagues that they cover, but at a much reduced price. If you're a pro sports league, what can you do? Create the content yourself and keep all of the ad revenue? All of this will eventually come crashing down. Hopefully to a point where a local network affiliate can buy the TV rights for a local sports team, offer peanuts for the rights, and air them live like they used to back in the olden days. ABC can keep the national rights and just have a game of the week on Saturday nights. I just don't see how else this will all play out.

Joe and Joe talked about this situation earlier today:

Why wouldn’t the teams just keep their rights and sell a subscription to their season? Produce and publish it themselves. That would give them more control over the TV revenue and they could sell their own advertising.

So you’d have a CanesHockey app you watch the Canes on.

Or the league put it together with something like Center Ice. So you can get:
Center Ice - out of Market
Center Ice - Hometeam
Center Ice - Everything

I’m paying $100/month for DTV pretty much only to watch the Canes. Instead of the Canes getting a small fraction of that I’d probably pay 50/month for just the Canes games and find cheaper option for whatever else I want to watch.

I’m sure there’s a reason. I’m sure someone here knows the reason. I’m hopeful they’ll share the reason. I’m hopeful this wasn’t a stupid question.

I can't imagine how much it costs to produce a broadcast for a sporting game. HDTV, scorebug, news crawl, playback with many different camera angles, slo-mo playback, employee costs, travel costs. Phew! I get dizzy just thinking how much it costs to produce just a single game. Fine, get rid of the irritating news crawl, but even a simple scorebug has got to cost a lot of money.

So is the Bally RSN bankruptcy status so fragile that at any given time the entire company could just be dissolved leaving many of these teams scrambling mid-season for another platform to show these games on? I know Bally for the Canes telecast is acting as if it's business as usual with Tripp and Mike etc coming back...but is it still a precarious situation overall?
Well, they bailed on a couple of baseball contracts either right before it mattered or after the season had started ... so, yeah. It's fragile. The NHL has said they have contingency plans, but the NHL says a lot of things that I don't 100% believe are true. Just know that the whole thing could go poof in the middle of a game and try not to throw a shoe through your TV if it does. Forewarned is forearmed.

Back