• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The 2019-2020 MotherFucking Season Thread

Why is there a lot of chatter about Subban and the Leafs on twitter?

Because we're almost a month away from the trade deadline and silly season is kicking into full gear. And I guess to be fair, there was a lot of chatter that Dubas was kicking the tires on Subban at the draft, though only if Nashville was willing to retain salary.

But even if that was true then, I can't imagine Subban would be particularly attractive to Dubas now with the season he's having. Even with 50% of his salary retained, he'd be a $4.5M cap hit this year and for the next two seasons as well.

"He's better than Ceci", isn't a reason to trade for someone.

Because he's not better than Barrie or Holl. He's also about to turn 31 yrs old, so this probably isn't a slump, it's decline. He's maybe an okay #4 at this point.

From Friedman’s latest 31 thoughts on Robertson’s contract:

28. Rasmus Sandin agreed to a contract with no performance bonuses, knowing it would be easier to reach the NHL quicker for cap-tight Toronto. You know who else structured their contract similarly? Nick Robertson.

Last edited:
Keefe says Lilly is the next man up when we need to play another defenceman and he had a great practice today.

I hope he gets in soon - excited to see him on the ice to see what he can do.

Last edited:
Prediction time: how many Cups are we going to win in the next 10 or so years?

Colorado is building a powerhouse out west.
Calgary is interesting
Tampa will be good for awhile
Washington is a machine
Some other team will fluke out at least twice the next decade.
I say 2.

Everyone laughed at Joe Sakic. Thought he was a joke. Don't hear much chortling now. And he has what? 30 million in cap space for the deadline?

Guy was one of the best damn hockey players I ever laid eyes on. Looks like he isn't too bad as a GM either.

Hey, where is MynameisJonas? Haven't seen him for a spell. Good dude. His Blackhawks are showing a bit of spunk. Might make it interesting.

The thing with defensive "habits" that has to be kept in mind (and why the bigger picture, of overall defensive performance, over a sizeable sample is extremely important) is that as much as we want results and are in win now mode, the lineup is still a bunch of kids and this is by design. You want to have a bunch of super high powered players at the top of your lineup making 10+ million? Cool, then you're going to have to play a bunch of 20-25 yr olds on ELC's and 1st RFA deals and you're just going to get more mental lapses in all zones from young players.

So hold them to high standards and help them grow, but the choice isn't between a Kapanen or Johnsson and a 29 yr old equivalent offensive player who has good, veteran attention to defensive detail...that guys costs 6-7 million. It's a choice between a Kapanen/Johnsson and Darren Helm, Cal Clutterbuck, Paul Byron, Abdelkader etc.

and Auston Matthews is awesome defensively and has been for some time.

and Auston Matthews is awesome defensively and has been for some time.

He's gotten better but previously floated around on his defensive zone coverage quite a lot. Keefe's praise is not unqualified:
I think the biggest surprise or the biggest thing I’ve learned with him is just that he is a very good player defensively away from the puck when he is engaged with the way he can track.

Back