• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The 2023 Trade Deadline Thread

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
A new thread to avoid clogging up the Miscellaneous thread. Canes signings get their own thread.

Some GM is sitting at his desk this morning thinking..."how can we make a Tanner Jeannot-like trade and get back five draft picks and a young defenseman for a third liner by Friday". :)

Some GM is sitting at his desk this morning thinking..."how can we make a Tanner Jeannot-like trade and get back five draft picks and a young defenseman for a third liner by Friday". :)
What do you mean "some" GM? All of them are doing that.

It's a bummer Martinook isn't a spare part for the Canes.
Oh heck yeah ... if Jeannot is worth 5 picks and a 7th D, imagine what Carolina could get for a version of him that's a more reliable scorer. That's how this works, right?

My thoughts on the trade deadline: is there a guy out there that is available at a cost of less than a pyrrhic victory to obtain? A guy that can also kickstart playoff scoring from the likes of Svech and Necas and the other top dogs on the team? Was Bo Horvat or Timo Meier the secret elixir to make that happen? If Waddell can find that guy, then excellent, but I don't that the player exists. I think we have the parts in place to actually win the Cup this season, but we need our best players to be the team's best players come mid-April through late June. OK, fine, we could use another strong defenseman, but even without him, I think we have a Cup winning team in Raleigh.

ETA:
We're seeing the ridiculous returns that teams are getting for third line guys!

Does Patrick Kane really want to trade in the Red Jersey for Broadway Blue? Just sayin.

I wonder if the Canes are eyeing Tyler Bertuzzi.
It depends on whether Yzerman thinks he can compete this year. I don’t think he’s decided if he’s going to be a buyer or seller. They’ve lost 2 in a row and dropped behind Buffalo in the Wild Card standings, 3 points behind Pittsburgh and tied with Florida, but with 2 games in hand on the Panthers.

I wonder if the Canes are eyeing Tyler Bertuzzi.
I mean ... maybe? He's barely made any impact in Detroit this season (4 goals in 28 games) and after his weird Covid period I can't see Yzerman viewing him as a core part moving forward. So, he's probably cheap enough to get, but other than a bit of crash/bang, I'm not sure what he's meant to be adding here.

Back