• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The 2023 Trade Deadline Thread

I know they tried, I know they won't overpay, and I know they keep a long-term view - but I was hoping for something more. I trust they made the right decision and hope we'll see a stronger performance in the playoffs.

It all comes down to our guys finally scoring in the playoffs. The Hurricanes have the talent to do it, they just need to start finally doing it.

I think the team did improve its fortunes somewhat by getting a guy that ensure that we don't have to see Dylan Coghlan on the ice anymore.

So 'we like our team' it is. Hopefully the players deliver on that faith shown by our management.
Waddell said they were really only in on one deal that didn’t happen. But he’d been working on Gostisbehere for about a month and a Puljujarvi for a few weeks Jesse has an appointment in Ottawa on Monday to get his visa and could play on Tuesday in Montreal.

I know they tried, I know they won't overpay, and I know they keep a long-term view - but I was hoping for something more. I trust they made the right decision and hope we'll see a stronger performance in the playoffs.
Well said, and I feel the same. No need to overpay for mediocre players that were left late at the deadline and empty the system...in a year where the draft looks very deep, I am at least happy they held onto their picks!

It's now time to put up or shut up with the players here...Freddy stay healthy and show up strong for the playoffs, Svech, Necas, Aho, Turbo, Jarvis...we need you all contributing offensively...this team has had enough playoff experience to take that next step, now go do it!

Perfectly stated, Jack.

I think my favorite comments from a Facebook group from today are the people thinking that having $10 million in cap space means that you get any player you want during the trade season

I think my favorite comments from a Facebook group from today are the people thinking that having $10 million in cap space means that you get any player you want during the trade season
giphy.gif

So 'we like our team' it is. Hopefully the players deliver on that faith shown by our management.
Yeah, I was hoping for a forward beyond Puljujarvi, but most of the options outside of Meier and Tarasenko really didn't do much for me. Shame about Konecny because I thought he would have been a nice fit, but look ... does adding a 4th liner or freaking JVR or whatever do this team any good? No. Was Schmaltz even an upgrade on what they have? Prolly not. So, yeah ... I get it. I don't really like it, but I get it.

That said, I was thinking Ghost would be an option on D and I think that was a good move. I didn't see Edmonton bailing on Puljujarvi before summer and I think he's worth a shot in Carolina's setup. So it's not like they did nothing. They just didn't do the one thing most everybody thought they needed to do. Not for the first time, and probably not for the last. As always, we'll see how it works out on the ice.

Last edited:
Yeah, the stupid is flying thick and fast on the internet today and the Facebook clowns don't sound all that much dumber than a lot of guys who get paid to write about hockey for a living.

In regards to Facebook…the pot stirrer of all pot stirrers is a guy named George Yuhas. I swear he’s got a full time job just railing on Dandy Don and Dundon on there. It’s just 10 times a day everyday…exhausting to even browse those sites.

A couple of old Canes friends changing teams again today as Patrick Brown lands in Ottawa and Chase Priskie traded to Anaheim.

A couple of old Canes friends changing teams again today as Patrick Brown lands in Ottawa and Chase Priskie traded to Anaheim.
Patrick Williams, who is a good Twitter follow for the AHL, thinks that Brown is destined for Belleville. Lots of NHL teams strengthened their AHL affiliates for the playoff run.

In regards to Facebook…the pot stirrer of all pot stirrers is a guy named George Yuhas. I swear he’s got a full time job just railing on Dandy Don and Dundon on there. It’s just 10 times a day everyday…exhausting to even browse those sites.
I do wonder what anybody thinks the point of that might be. You hate the owner and GM of a hockey club. Is somebody supposed to give you a medal for that?

My half-baked thought on an upgrade that the team has already made this season:

The Hurricanes actually did trade for a goal scorer this season, but it was early in the season. They traded the smooth skating but ultimately ineffectual Martin Necas for a vastly improved Martin Necas who is in the midst of a career year. He has plenty of playoff experience as well, so he knows exactly what he needs to do this season to avoid an early exit.

One thought we never got to yesterday ... by hanging on to that $2.6 million cushion, the Canes can go ahead and bulk up the roster with a couple of Chicago guys if they want. Drury has kicked into gear recently, almost on cue ...

The Hurricanes actually did trade for a goal scorer this season, but it was early in the season. They traded the smooth skating but ultimately ineffectual Martin Necas for a vastly improved Martin Necas who is in the midst of a career year. He has plenty of playoff experience as well, so he knows exactly what he needs to do this season to avoid an early exit.
Yeah, people who are still laser focused on last year's playoffs discount just how different this team is right now. Necas owns that second scoring line, even when Svech is on the other wing. Burns is a far cry from DeAngelo as well. Yes, they're a bit weaker down the middle on the 2nd line, but KK is a role player on that line. That's little Marty's party.

great point. And it’s super that Nachos has another year on that contract to show this year is a trend and not an aberration.

Back