• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The 2023 Trade Deadline Thread

Looks like Max Domi on his way to Dallas.
Yes, in an all former Cane trade. The Blackhawks send Domi and goalie Dylan Wells to Dallas for Anton Khudobin and a 2025 2nd rounder. Dobby has spent the season in the AHL, appearing in 24 games with a 2.89/.899 stat line.

Even Dylan Wells has an indirect Canes connection. He played 3 games for the Chicago Wolves in the 21-22 championship season.

Nick Bonino from Sharks (50% retained?) to Pens for a 5th and 7th round pick. Another team gets the 5th round pick to retain another part of Bonino's contract

Jakub Vrana from Wings (50% retained) to Blues for Dylan McLaughlin and a 2025 7th round pick

Nick Bonino from Sharks (50% retained?) to Pens for a 5th and 7th round pick. Another team gets the 5th round pick to retain another part of Bonino's contract

Jakub Vrana from Wings (50% retained) to Blues for Dylan McLaughlin and a 2025 7th round pick
Back to the future for Bonino, he was on the Pens 2 Cup winning teams.

Vrana has been up and down to Grand Rapids this year.

This is the thing that I know a few pundits said that I agree with. Sure Patrick Kane is a flashy addition. A sure fire first ballot HoFer, one of the better offensive players of his generation. But the Rangers biggest issue this season has been keeping the puck out of their net and their 5v5 play. Those are 2 things that Kane actually hurts more than helps. Shesterkin hasn't been .935 Vezina Shesterkin this season, he has been an average .910. That is not good when you have a team that doesn't play a good 5v5 defense.

Right on cue, with Kane in the lineup, the Rangers went into Ottawa and gave up 4 goals (the 5th one was an empty netter). All 4 of the goals the Rangers allowed were 5v5. The Rangers scored 3 goals, 1 SHG, and 2 5v5 goals.

The Rangers didn't really NEED Patrick Kane. What they really needed was another upgrade on the blueline or some tight checking forwards. Instead they elected to add Patrick Kane. I hope they fall apart just to shut up all those pundits declaring them the best team in the Metro now.
Honestly, both of their additions up front suck defensively. Now, they've got the depth and structure to work through that but scoring goals and playing on the rush was never their problem areas ... and yet, that's where they spent a ton of capital. And look, it might work just fine. It's the freaking NHL, so who ever knows.

Back to the future for Bonino, he was on the Pens 2 Cup winning teams.

Vrana has been up and down to Grand Rapids this year.
I honestly don't think Vrana got a fair shake in Detroit after his break for substance treatment. Now, who knows what bridges he burnt before he shut it down and got help. Still ... it's not a great look. Hopefully he can get a fresh start in St Louis and get back to driving offense.

FWIW, we've officially reached the "shift some 4th liners around so it looks like we're doing something" portion of deadline day. Bonino, Lemieux, Lazar, MacEwan all on the move. Mercifully, the Canes are not involved in this most performative portion of the day ... at least not yet.

Pens send Brock McGinn and a 3rd to Anaheim for Dimitry Kulikov. Anaheim is retaining part of his salary.

The Habs get the pick.

Pens send Brock McGinn and a 3rd to Anaheim for Dimitry Kulikov. Anaheim is retaining part of his salary.
Kulikov was in a clown car the other night against the Canes. Playing with Cam Fowler, he basically abandoned the blueline and joined the forwards on every shift when the Ducks had possession in the offensive zone. I kept waiting for him to have a normal shift ... and waited all game. It was pure YOLO

McGinn is a good veteran addition to that young forward group in Anaheim.

JVR to Detroit fell through at the last minute. We’ll see what else shakes out at the deadline.

Nothing from the Canes, Wadded to address the media at 3:30

JVR to Detroit fell through at the last minute. We’ll see what else shakes out at the deadline.

Nothing from the Canes, Wadded to address the media at 3:30
Imma guess that Stevie remembered he can just sign the guy this summer as a free agent without ponying up a pick for JVR. There won't be a line ... he hasn't been good in years.

Back