• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The 2023 Trade Deadline Thread

The Puljujarvi deal was apparently a prelude to EDM acquiring Mattias Ekholm from NSH. Sounds like we'll be seeing the details of that deal soon.
Eckholm and a 2024 6th rounder to the Oilers for Tyson Barrie, forward Reid Schaefer (drafted 32nd over all in 2022, playing at WHL Seattle), a 2023 1st rounder and 2024 4th rounder. Nashville retains 4% of Eckholm’s salary.

Last edited:
Martinook is a career 4th-liner who this season is playing with two really good defensive guys that would make most guys look good beside them. He hasn't somehow at the age of 30 became a much better hockey player than he was before.
Sure I too think that he has looked better than seasons before, and he has work ethics that are second to none. But please stop acting like he is more than what he is. There are plenty of players out there that would be better than Martinook on that line.
Maybe, but not Bertuzzi, especially at his pay grade.

Martinook is a career 4th-liner who this season is playing with two really good defensive guys that would make most guys look good beside them. He hasn't somehow at the age of 30 became a much better hockey player than he was before.
Sure I too think that he has looked better than seasons before, and he has work ethics that are second to none. But please stop acting like he is more than what he is. There are plenty of players out there that would be better than Martinook on that line.
Martinook is all around better this season than in the past, and faster. He has good line mates but he brings it every game and fully carries his weight on that line. He’s been healthy which makes a difference. If you just look at that line there is nothing to fix there. We don’t need to make any move to make the Staal line better and any move we might try has at least as much downside risk as upside.

And, have you seen Tyler Bertuzi? Dude fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down.

Dreger says the Oilers and Yotes were deep on Chychrun this morning before Holland pivoted to Eckholm. So that’s one less landing spot for him.

Multiple reports of a Kings/Jackets trade that would send dman Vladislav Gavrikov and goalie Joonas Korpisalo to the Kings for a package that includes Jonathan Quick. All are on expiring deals. More to come on this.

Leafs send wing Pierre Engvall to the Isles for a 2024 3rd rounder.

Canucks send dman Luke Schenn to the Leafs for a 2023 3rd rounder.

Canucks send dman Riley Stillman to the Slugs for forward Josh Bloom.

Multiple reports of a Kings/Jackets trade that would send dman Vladislav Gavrikov and goalie Joonas Korpisalo to the Kings for a package that includes Jonathan Quick. All are on expiring deals. More to come on this.
Sounds like Quick might not report to Columbus and is not happy with the trade. Good value for the Kings to add Gavrikov and Korpisalo essentially for a first round pick and not much else!

Dreger says the Oilers and Yotes were deep on Chychrun this morning before Holland pivoted to Eckholm. So that’s one less landing spot for him.
Holland got the better player, especially for their current short term needs, but holy crap he has yet to meet an old guy on an expensive contract that he wouldn't go get.

And Bertuzzi is one of them? Because, no he's not ... not based on what he's actually doing this season. My comparison in based SOLELY on what the two players are doing in the present season. The one in which we currently live.

Ultimately, it’s Quick, a conditional 2023 1st rounder and a 2024 3rd rounder to Columbus. If the Kings don’t make the playoffs this year, the 1st round pick becomes 2nd rounders this year and next.

Columbus supposedly is seeing if any contending team would be willing to take Quick off their hands (I assume with rentention and for nothing in return). Given how bad Quick has been this season, it's hard to see any contender wanting him.

Once he settles down from the shock of being traded by the Kings, hopefully Quick will just report to Columbus. If not, then I believe Columbus can suspend him for breach of contract (and not pay him the remainder of his $2.5 million this season) or they could just work out a contract termination and he can stay home and ponder retirement.

Yeah, all that got talked over when Vegas was trading Fleury and it wasn't certain he would report. I'm pretty sure the consensus ended up being that a player refusing to report would simply be suspended without pay for breach, which would trigger a termination settlement.

Otherwise, I could maybe see a contender taking him on as a backup if the cash was right, but they'd have to have room for the Cap hit ... which I don't think can get whittled down to less than $1.45 million ... provided Columbus retained half and found a 3rd party to retain half of the remainder. That's a LOT of trouble for a guy who has been bad all year and is 37 years old. If Quick wants to play beyond this year, then it would best if he just swallowed his pride and reported to Columbus. It's not like they're asking him to do anything horrible ... just go and play out the last month of the year and then move on. Pretend it's a long road trip.

Caps sending Lars Eller to the Avs. Details TBD.
No brainer for them to move Eller. He's lost a step to the point of being only borderline effective, has been effectively replaced by Strome and there's no way they were going to re-sign him. May as well get what you can.

Yotes send Chychrun to the Sens for a 2023 top 5 protected first rounder, and 2024 and 2026 2nd rounders, both conditional. That is absolutely GM malpractice in the desert.

What a joke. Tell teams you want the moon and the stars then sell at regular prices.

Several guys on XM kept saying the ask for Chychrun was just too high. Someone said something along the lines of "he's just not that good".

Back