• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The 2023 Trade Deadline Thread

Several guys on XM kept saying the ask for Chychrun was just too high. Someone said something along the lines of "he's just not that good".
I mean ... he's not. He's got a good contract though, which does elevate his value. Top 4 defenseman who over-perform their contract value are fairly rarely available in the trade market, and Chychrun doesn't have to be all that good to over-perform his.

That said ... even that price that everybody is disappointed in is too freaking high for that guy.

Lost in the shuffle ... the real deadline head scratcher.

Vancouver blowing the Horvat 1st round pick AND a 2nd round pick on ... Filip Hronek????? What? I mean, I like Hronek ... really sharp playmaker kind of defenseman, mid-20s on a decent contract ... but are you freaking kidding me with that cost? Plus, Vancouver's not going anywhere the next two years while Hronek is cheap, and he's a guy who has to be sheltered ... a bit of a luxury item unless he's a guy you got organically through your system. Bananas, man.

Bertuzzi to Bruins ... 1st rounder and a 4th, and Detroit retains salary. That's gonna be unpopular with the "do something" contingent around here because Carolina could have swung that if they were willing to part with the picks. Of course, he just scored his fifth goal of the season, so ... you know where I stand.

That's fine. I would rather that the stain of that family name not be associated with the Hurricanes

Bertuzzi to Bruins ... 1st rounder and a 4th, and Detroit retains salary. That's gonna be unpopular with the "do something" contingent around here because Carolina could have swung that if they were willing to part with the picks. Of course, he just scored his fifth goal of the season, so ... you know where I stand.

Bruins pulling a Kucherov by all accounts, but dont worry, Uncle Gary says the league is watching closely on this type of thing! ;)

Because Arizona needs the refill their cap hit ... https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/tradecentre/...-f-jakub-voracek-to-arizona-coyotes-1.1925946

Somebody wanna tell me why the league keeps letting them do this? There ABSOLUTELY should be a limit on what percentage of your cap hit is dead money. Arizona's IR now houses 3 straight up retired players and one guy who may as well be retired. It's insanity to let them keep doing this.

I would rather allow what Arizona is doing than what the Bruins are about to do with Taylor Hall now on LTIR (conveniently allowing them to add Bertuzzi, and likely magically having Hall come back in the playoffs).

I would rather allow what Arizona is doing than what the Bruins are about to do with Taylor Hall now on LTIR (conveniently allowing them to add Bertuzzi, and likely magically having Hall come back in the playoffs).
I just don't get how allowing one team to obviously and publicly fail to even try to compete is allowed. This is not some short term thing either. They've been a clearinghouse for bad contracts for years now. Maybe you let it slide for a set period of time to allow for a rebuild, but what exactly are they rebuilding? The Coyotes are just gonna leverage this fresh set of young players into more cash and picks later on ... same as they've done for the last decade.

Jackets send Jonathan Quick to Vegas for goalie Michael Hutchinson and a 2025 7th rounder. Jackets are retaining 50% of Quick’s salary. Vegas had recalled Hutchinson on an emergency basis on Monday when they placed Laurent Brossoit on IR; he was dressed as the backup last night. Logan Thompson has been on IR since February 11, so Adin Hill was their only healthy goalie.

Lost in the shuffle ... the real deadline head scratcher.

Vancouver blowing the Horvat 1st round pick AND a 2nd round pick on ... Filip Hronek????? What? I mean, I like Hronek ... really sharp playmaker kind of defenseman, mid-20s on a decent contract ... but are you freaking kidding me with that cost? Plus, Vancouver's not going anywhere the next two years while Hronek is cheap, and he's a guy who has to be sheltered ... a bit of a luxury item unless he's a guy you got organically through your system. Bananas, man.
Hronek led all defensemen in 2019-20 in plus/minus . . . on the minus side.

I am thoroughly enjoying the theoretically upgraded Rangers dropping the home debut of Patrick Kane to Ottawa tonight!
This is the thing that I know a few pundits said that I agree with. Sure Patrick Kane is a flashy addition. A sure fire first ballot HoFer, one of the better offensive players of his generation. But the Rangers biggest issue this season has been keeping the puck out of their net and their 5v5 play. Those are 2 things that Kane actually hurts more than helps. Shesterkin hasn't been .935 Vezina Shesterkin this season, he has been an average .910. That is not good when you have a team that doesn't play a good 5v5 defense.

Right on cue, with Kane in the lineup, the Rangers went into Ottawa and gave up 4 goals (the 5th one was an empty netter). All 4 of the goals the Rangers allowed were 5v5. The Rangers scored 3 goals, 1 SHG, and 2 5v5 goals.

The Rangers didn't really NEED Patrick Kane. What they really needed was another upgrade on the blueline or some tight checking forwards. Instead they elected to add Patrick Kane. I hope they fall apart just to shut up all those pundits declaring them the best team in the Metro now.

Back