• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The 2023 Trade Deadline Thread

I mean ... maybe? He's barely made any impact in Detroit this season (4 goals in 28 games) and after his weird Covid period I can't see Yzerman viewing him as a core part moving forward. So, he's probably cheap enough to get, but other than a bit of crash/bang, I'm not sure what he's meant to be adding here.
Well he is just the kind of high energy player the Canes usually like, but after getting Puljujärvi it doesn't seem likely. I wouldn't really have seen him as an upgrade to the top two lines but more of getting some play off depth. He would be a really good upgrade on the third line in Martinooks place though. ;););)

Well he is just the kind of high energy player the Canes usually like, but after getting Puljujärvi it doesn't seem likely. I wouldn't really have seen him as an upgrade to the top two lines but more of getting some play off depth. He would be a really good upgrade on the third line in Martinooks place though. ;););)
How is Bertuzzi an upgrade over a guy who has almost 3 times more goals and costs less than half as much? I mean, if Detroit wants to retain half and sell him for a 4th rounder or something, then fine ... I guess.

We need to get insurance for deHaan and PP help. If deHaan holds up with his injury history and we can somehow have 2 fairly cohesive/consistent PP units, I really do think we are able to win a Cup. We are nothing to sneeze at now, but BOS and NYR can be our Achilles’ heal.

How is Bertuzzi an upgrade over a guy who has almost 3 times more goals and costs less than half as much? I mean, if Detroit wants to retain half and sell him for a 4th rounder or something, then fine ... I guess.
You don't think Bertuzzi is an upgrade over Martinook? Wow. You guys really live in a Martinook bubble.

Shockingly, Arizona is the third team in the Kane trade. They get a 2025 3rd rounder for absorbing 25% of Kane’s salary.

Caps trade forward Marcus Samuelsson to the Wild for a 2024 3rd rounder.

Leafs trade dman Rasmus Sandin to the Caps for dman Erik Gustafson and Boston’s 2023 1st rounder that they acquired in the Orlov/Hathaway trade.

You don't think Bertuzzi is an upgrade over Martinook? Wow. You guys really live in a Martinook bubble.
Where do you put Bertuzzi? If it’s not with Aho or KK, there is no reason to get him. And he’s nearly $3 million more than Martinook.

This year's version of Bertuzzi? You know, the current one? Nah. He's a bigger name but is producing less than half a point a game (again ... FOUR goals all season), has missed a ton of time and is currently ringing up a GSVA rating of around 1.4 which basically the same as Martinook's for the current season. This is not some sort of Martinook fan club thing. He's having a terrific season ... and Bertuzzi has been a ghost for most of this season. You want to disagree, that's fine ... but show me something from this season.

We need to get insurance for deHaan and PP help. If deHaan holds up with his injury history and we can somehow have 2 fairly cohesive/consistent PP units, I really do think we are able to win a Cup. We are nothing to sneeze at now, but BOS and NYR can be our Achilles’ heal.
Yeah, and I don't think the front office is blind to that need. They've got SOME cover with LaJoie, but I think they'll make a low key move on D before the deadline. That said, deHaan has been playing his best hockey of the season over the last ten games or so. He's no dummy ... he knows he's got ice time to protect.

The Puljujarvi deal was apparently a prelude to EDM acquiring Mattias Ekholm from NSH. Sounds like we'll be seeing the details of that deal soon.

If TO doesn’t win the Cup, Dubas is toast and TO keeps looking like Clemson before they became Clemson- perennial chokers. Dubas’ moves are good but those are a lot of new bodies to digest.

Martinook is a career 4th-liner who this season is playing with two really good defensive guys that would make most guys look good beside them. He hasn't somehow at the age of 30 became a much better hockey player than he was before.
Sure I too think that he has looked better than seasons before, and he has work ethics that are second to none. But please stop acting like he is more than what he is. There are plenty of players out there that would be better than Martinook on that line.

Back