• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Fantastically Beautiful Joyously Superfun 22-23 Season Celebration Thread

I listened to podcast this morning where Mike Johnson made Dreger look like a complete goof claiming Seattles recent success has a lot to do with goaltending (26th in team sv%)

The Dregers are the ones jumping on the defenceman bandwagon because its the lazy narrative

The Johnsons of the media are singing another tune

There's 4 player types the Leafs "need" (as much as the 2nd best team in the league needs anything)

1) A elite #1 defender that replaces Mo (who is only super elite in one direction, passable but hardly great in the other). This player simply isn't on the market and rarely is.

2) 2LW that compliments JT & Mitch. Preferably someone with pace and finishing to compliment Mitch but anything that's an upgrade on Jarnkrok probably works. Some considerations are Meier, Bennett, Kuzmenko, Bertuzzi

3) 3C upgrade. ROR, Bjugstad maybe if he's actually an upgrade, Roslovic maybe. I don't see a lot of these available tbh, especially with ROR maybe looking like the new Foligno. Pontus should be given this role for the next 6 weeks steady though, just to see if he's it or not. Bjugstad might be the stealthy add no one expects there if Pontus isn't the guy. Huge, can actually play hockey, 900K cap hit would be super easy to fit in.

4) Veteran goalie. Depending on how Samsonov looks between now and the deadline. But Varlamov or Talbot might be options here if Sammy can't keep his shit together.

That's it, that's all. We don't need grit, toughness, truculence, the mythical "top 4" defenceman, nada.

Although we'd never ditch Murray for Sammy, I think Sammy is going to be more likely to keep his shit together than Murray.

I’m going to be livid if we pick up a dman to immediately bump Sandin or Lilljegren out of the lineup. I think it’s pretty much gone as good as possible for them even if Sandin has spent some time injured as well.

Despite a few small blips, its hard not to be happy with the first half goaltending performance.

Min 10gp all situations:

Murray: 17gp .919sv% (9th) 7.44gsaa (15th) .857 hdsv% (10th)

Samsonov: 16gp: .916sv% (14th) 5.06gsaa (18th) .877 hdsv% (2nd)

122pt pace with those two giving us a solid, but not spectactular, .918.

Pretty unfortunate that both were injured at the same time. I'm pretty sure the Leafs are the only team that's required 10+ games from their 3rd stringer this year (without that 3rd stringer actually earning those starts with good performance).

Boston's 139p pace has required a .928.

A 120+ season requires a team to both be ridiculously good and ridiculously lucky. An elite team should be 110+ more or less regardless of health, OT/shootout luck, etc

Timmins coming out would be weird unless Brodie was suddenly good to go.

If he's in, though, I would like to see him paired with Rielly so the other two pairings can be kept together, especially the Gio-Holl matchup pairing.

lemme just check something....

5v5 TOI last night

Holl 17:14
Gio 16:23
Mo 15:53
Ras 15:52
Lilly 14:56
Tims 13:29

ok so aside from the special teams skew I don't mind what Keefe did with the TOI last night. would still make the pairings switch though.

I don't mind the changes, we should be trying to keep 7 or 8 dmen engaged with playing time and try to load manage the guys who may not be used to this many games. I would prefer to get into the playoffs with an 8 man dcore that are all used to playing together. Injuries will happen.

Still loving this one from last night. Even Bunts played a roll in this one, as you can see Soros has to register the tip threat on his lateral move, which slows him down.

Back