• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Fantastically Beautiful Joyously Superfun 22-23 Season Celebration Thread

Does Gudas fit the bill? He continues to have solid nerdies, checks the Neanderthal box and has an expiring deal.

They seemed to have been linked to him for years

Gudas is the best version of the thug RHD that has been here or mentioned to be here imo. Probably as good or better than Manson and way cheaper. But in the role Holl plays, not as good as this version of Holl we've had for a few months now.

If we had a Brodie-Holl-Lilly injury, and needed RHD Gudas would be top of my list to fill the hole. But I don't see him as an upgrade when this blueline is healthy.

Gudas is the best version of the thug RHD that has been here or mentioned to be here imo. Probably as good or better than Manson and way cheaper. But in the role Holl plays, not as good as this version of Holl we've had for a few months now.

If we had a Brodie-Holl-Lilly injury, and needed RHD Gudas would be top of my list to fill the hole. But I don't see him as an upgrade when this blueline is healthy.

I don’t mind Gudas, but considering past Neanderthal depth defensemen we’ve acquired have been slotted in ahead of better defensemen, I’d rather we stay the hell away from him or any additions on D.

I’m still salty that at the first time of trouble, Keefe benched Lilly for Boosh.

Agreed. I'm just saying that he's miles better than the Bogo's and lyubushkins we've been subjected to. He's nastier than both combined as well on top of actually being good 4-5

That isn't something I would pay anything of value to get.

I'd want the assets to go for what we need, which is more firepower. Unless we're talking about some shit prospect going the other way, I don't want to pay for Gudas only to have him be a caveman option for Keefe to use as a crutch at the expense of Sandin or Lilly. We've done this shit twice in the last two years with stellar results, but let's try something different this time.

I don’t mind Gudas, but considering past Neanderthal depth defensemen we’ve acquired have been slotted in ahead of better defensemen, I’d rather we stay the hell away from him or any additions on D.

I’m still salty that at the first time of trouble, Keefe benched Lilly for Boosh.

Not a huge fan but he does fit the "similar to Holl but tougher" category.

Of course if Ekholm is available for some reason he'd be the get.

Would Mantha at 50% be a reclamation project to explore?

Pre covid he was on 30 goal pace but recently he has been healthy scratch even though he is still playing at a 45 pt pace.

50% would be 2.85MM this year and next while onky being 28 years old.

Risk vs reward for a deal like this be interesting but unlikely worthwhile.

Matthews is lapping the league leaders in defensive categories this year yet wont get a sniff at the selke

The first is something that’s tracked by SportLogiq, and is something I mentioned on the show earlier this week: defensive plays. That’s a combined stat of exactly what you’d expect: blocked passes, stick checks, block shots, etc.

At five-on-five, Matthews has the top raw total in the NHL by a wide margin. The top-10 is a who’s who of defensive forwards you know, which includes Phillip Danault in second with 197, and Patrice Bergeron in fourth with 190. Matthews' total is a whopping 265, which looks a lot like the below. This is just from his past few games, as you get the idea.

Matthews is first in blocked D-zone passes, again just ahead of Bergeron. He’s first in total blocked passes (all zones), joining a top-five that includes Draisaitl, Bergeron, Mark Stone, and Mikael Backlund, two other elite defensive forwards.

To round it out, Matthews checks in at first with -- ugh I have to type this -- 69 total stick checks (obligatory “nice”), which is 18 better than second place Sasha Barkov.

His xGA isn't that great this year, and much worse than last year (2.67 v. 2.04).

But is actual GA is much better (1.97 v. 3.02).

Those microstats show the limitation of xG. There is just a ton the public models aren't picking up.

+/- ftw.

1. Timmins back, but with Mo. This is interesting because it keeps the other two excellent pairings together and maybe turns Mo into the most sheltered pairing. This might turn into a nice test of Ras-Lilly against a top opponent without being sheltered at all.

2. Holmberg and McMann missing. Wouldn't be shocked if they caught the same bug that attires had. What's interesting tho is that ZAR-Kampf-Engvall line. On paper that's probably our best possible pure defensive line combo. If they stick with that it could open the door to Kerf playing with Holmberg and a Robertson/McMann/Knies for a more offensive bottom 6 line.

Back