• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The ****ing Pre-Season/Training Camp Thread (2019/20)

I think once Dermott is back from injury the blueline will look something like this

Rielly-Ceci
Barrie-Muzzin
Dermott-Sandin/Harpur

Decent looking blueline IMO.

I just figured out that you just drag and drop them down to the LTIR section.
Too funny, just figured that out myself after expecting it to be on the hover menu.

I kinda wonder about how conservative they have to be early in the season due to how Mucho tight it will be when Hyman and Dermott return. Going barebones (20 guys) like you have it seems like the thing to do in order to leave breathing room later.

Babcock’s comments about the defense post-game were music to my ears. Hopefully the beginning of the end of Harpur’s chances of making the team.

I’m starting to think this is where we’re at in camp now:

Andreas Johnsson - Auston Matthews - William Nylander
Kasperi Kapanen - John Tavares - Mitch Marner
Ilya Mikheyev - Alexander Kerfoot - ???
Trevor Moore - Frederik Gauthier - Jason Spezza
???

Morgan Rielly - Cody Ceci
Jake Muzzin - Tyson Barrie
Rasmus Sandin - ???
???

Frederik Andersen
???

The question marks are the roster spots still up for grabs, but everybody else has locked down their position, IMO.

Was hoping Bracco would stand out a bit more.

It’s weird, I thought he had a real standout performance in camp last year prior to his breakout AHL season last year, but this year he’s barely been noticeable.

Babcock’s comments about the defense post-game were music to my ears. Hopefully the beginning of the end of Harpur’s chances of making the team.

???

Rasmus Sandin - ???
???

Frederik Andersen
???

The question marks are the roster spots still up for grabs, but everybody else has locked down their position, IMO.

It’s weird, I thought he had a real standout performance in camp last year prior to his breakout AHL season last year, but this year he’s barely been noticeable.

I think Harpur makes the team, Babcock has always stressed he wants a "heavy team" and he wants ruggedness on the blueline and who can kill penalites. I'm not overly impressed with Harpur either, but he fits Babcock's mold to a "t", and I can see him up with the big club at least until Dermott returns from his injury.

The most interesting dog fight to me is for the backup position, I don't either guy is a lock, and it'll come down to whom has a better preseason.

???

Rasmus Sandin - ???
???

Frederik Andersen
???

Based on everything so far, I'd go with the following (Petan and Schmaltz obviously not locks):

AJ - AM - Willy
Moore - JT - Mucho
Mikheyev - Kerfoot - Kappy
Agostino - Spezza - Petan

Muzzin - Barrie
Rielly - Ceci
Sandin - Schmaltz

Andersen
Neuvirth

Worth a continued look for the next four games: Liljegren, Timashov, Shore, Aberg, Gravel, Marincin.

Yes, I'm trying to wish the Goat away.

Also, given the $583K cap hit difference between Schmaltz and Liljegren, plus waiver eligibility, I'd say the latter is fighting an uphill battle.

Sandin, Marinch, gravel will be the 5/6/7 imo. Maybe schmaltz ahead of gravel for the rhd effect though.

Sandin seems like a stone cold lock based on babs' ejaculation over him.

Hasn't the goat looked pretty good this preseason?

And i'm happy to hear that Sandin is making a good impression. Would be nice if he turns into a stud for us.

sorry why is Gauthier making the team again?

cut.jpg

As for the reasons why Babcock might want to keep him around, both rational and irrational:

• Would like to have extra bodies around that can play both center & wing, which Gauthier can (at least on paper).

• Gauthier being a lefty and Spezza being a righty means they can rotate taking draws and always be on their strong side.

• He's 6'5" all day.

• He wins 50%+ of his draws.

• Other bubble boys fighting for roster spots like Shore, Petan, Read & Aberg haven't showed much so far.

• The Goat is similar to Marincin in that he's the rare fringe player both Dubas & Babcock have an odd, inexplicable affection for.

• If Babcock calls you by a nickname, you chances of making the team are automatically doubled.

Based on everything so far, I'd go with the following (Petan and Schmaltz obviously not locks):

AJ - AM - Willy
Moore - JT - Mucho
Mikheyev - Kerfoot - Kappy
Agostino - Spezza - Petan

Muzzin - Barrie
Rielly - Ceci
Sandin - Schmaltz

Andersen
Neuvirth

Worth a continued look for the next four games: Liljegren, Timashov, Shore, Aberg, Gravel, Marincin.

Yes, I'm trying to wish the Goat away.

Yeah, the lineup that I'd choose myself would look pretty much exactly like yours. I've liked Agostino the best out of all the finge forwards still trying to lock down a roster spot, I think Sandin has to have a spot locked down and I'd roll the dice on Neuvirth for the backup position.

The only places we'd differ is that I'm still not sure about Petan or Schmaltz yet, or who should occupy the roster spots you've got them in. I'm hoping some guys clearly separate themselves in the last four pre-season games.

Also, given the $583K cap hit difference between Schmaltz and Liljegren, plus waiver eligibility, I'd say the latter is fighting an uphill battle.

It's not really 583K. It's 183K with schedule A bonuses totalling 400K that would get applied to next year's cap if they're hit this year.

They're also really unlikely to be hit by a #5-6 defender.

As for the reasons why Babcock might want to keep him around, both rational and irrational:

• Would like to have extra bodies around that can play both center & wing, which Gauthier can (at least on paper).

• Gauthier being a lefty and Spezza being a righty means they can rotate taking draws and always be on their strong side.

• He's 6'5" all day.

• Other bubble boys fighting for roster spots like Shore, Petan, Read & Aberg haven't showed much so far.

• The Goat is similar to Marincin in that he's the rare fringe player both Dubas & Babcock have an odd, inexplicable affection for.

• If Babcock calls you by a nickname, you chances of making the team are automatically doubled.

Yeah, the lineup that I'd choose myself would look pretty much exactly like yours. I've liked Agostino the best out of all the finge forwards still trying to lock down a roster spot, I think Sandin has to have a spot locked down and I'd roll the dice on Neuvirth for the backup position.

The only places we'd differ is that I'm still not sure about Petan or Schmaltz yet, or who should occupy the roster spots you've got them in. I'm hoping some guys clearly separate themselves in the last four pre-season games.
Also his cap hit is something like 50k below minimum

It's not really 583K. It's 183K with schedule A bonuses totalling 400K that would get applied to next year's cap if they're hit this year.

They're also really unlikely to be hit by a #5-6 defender.

I read on a fairly in-depth discussion on ppp that the rookie bonus count when you're using LTIR.

• He's 6'5" all day.

ha, yeah, as soon as he called him Sandman ... oh, he's locked in.

Ya know, if the 4th line centre and 6/7 blueline slots are the places where Babs goes all toy horny, it's a big improvement over past years, I'm sure we'd all agree.

Ya, I'm not sure about Petan or Schmaltz either. I think these two, however, get some considerations that aren't entirely performance related. Both are waiver eligible and both probably need a vote of confidence and some roster security to see if maybe it was lack of opportunity/short leash that didn't derail their development. Dubas also gave up assets for both, albeit in the case of Petan pretty low value.

Here's the ppp discussion about the bonus and LTIR:

I did a quick dive into CF and found this:
The following must be met to recall the player:
2. Players with performance bonuses
The team must have a salary relief pool that is equal to or greater than the player’s cap hit. After the salary relief pool has been considered, the sum of the teams performance bonus pool and remaining salary relief pool must be equal to or greater than the player’s max achievable performance bonuses of the current season (the player’s achievable performance bonuses can come out of both the salary and performance bonus pool).
None of the players going on LTIR have PB’s, so the "Performance Bonus Relief Pool" will be $0, therefore if I am reading the above correctly, it would seem the Leafs would need that $400K of Lily’s PB’s to come from the "Salary Relief Pool" if they want to recall him.
Posted by The Good The Bad and The Ugly on Sep 14, 2019 | 3:52 PM

I'd look into it myself but I'd rather pull toenails than read the CBA.

Back