• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The ****ing Pre-Season/Training Camp Thread (2019/20)

1. Johnsson's gonna have a huge year
2. Willy getting screwed again
3. I hate that this is the "the new set up", instead of just "one of many different interchangeable set-ups".

I still don't think the roster is finalized, though. Plenty of room tonight for a number of guys to stake a claim to a spot, and Tima and Marincin are anything but locks at this point.

I'd guess that the line up Siegel posted is what they're planning on using opening night unless someone else blows the doors off. Tonight's lineup is probably auditioning for the pressbox.

I'd guess that the line up Siegel posted is what they're planning on using opening night unless someone else blows the doors off. Tonight's lineup is probably auditioning for the pressbox.

they're only halfway through the pre-season.

Yep, but Babs likes to get his roster tested at this stage.

This should be interesting -- the Habs are icing a mostly NHL looking lineup tonight.

yeah I'm with BL on this one. Babs is not historically the most experimental.

I wouldn't go so far as to say things are settled, but I think the early favourites have been identified.

Yeah, I wouldn't say it's set but that either someone needs to lose their spot and someone grab one with big play.

I do think Babs puts a lot of stock in how ready guys are when they show up to camp.

Babs does all sorts of head games. A bunch of these guys tonight he's challenging to step up, because he probably had them as frontrunners coming in and they pissed him off last game.

There's no way that Tima is a lock at this point after 1 solid preseason game, or even much of a favorite. Marincin, too - a guy babcock knows well, but has only played 31gms in the last 3yrs.

Babs also said that he wants the group smaller this week to raise the level of practices. So this is the bubble list and most likely the last chance for a bunch of those guys to make it to tomorrow.

I'd say Petan, Agostino, Schmaltz, and Liljegren still have a shot at the lineup (and not just pressbox).

so Aberg doesn't play tonight. that's probably a really bad sign for him. but not a surprise given how little he has shown.

Nice to see Shore finally get some real linemates. That top line there all have a chance to win a spot. Don't think any other forwards do.

Hard to know what to make of that mishmash of D-pairings. It'll be interesting to see the ice time distribution. Probably a bad sign for Lilly to be paired with Rubins, then again Rubins didn't look any worse than any of those other guys. Seems like an even worse sign for Harpur being paired with Holl, who has also looked terrible. Might be a good sign for both Gravel and Schmaltz, who have both showed some good things.

Actually, I just noticed Rubins is only 22yrs old. Not a mid-20s guy like the rest. Makes him a bit more interesting for me.

Last edited:
@ryanfancey

Tulsky on the Full 60 pod was interesting. Main takeaway I had about public vs in-house analytics is people using public data generally seem to be way overconfident in their conclusions given what they’re using.

Also the quick example of what’s behind the curtain Tulsky gave was like, publicly available stats are from tracking maybe 300 data points per game. Teams already have access to about 3000.

Neuvirth injured again it looks like

Well, shit.

We really might have no other choice but to turn to Hutchinson as our backup, then. Because barring anything unexpected, I don't think any potential help is coming for us on the waiver-wire either.

so Aberg doesn't play tonight. that's probably a really bad sign for him. but not a surprise given how little he has shown.

Nice to see Shore finally get some real linemates. That top line there all have a chance to win a spot. Don't think any other forwards do.

Hard to know what to make of that mishmash of D-pairings. It'll be interesting to see the ice time distribution. Probably a bad sign for Lilly to be paired with Rubins, then again Rubins didn't look any worse than any of those other guys. Seems like an even worse sign for Harpur being paired with Holl, who has also looked terrible. Might be a good sign for both Gravel and Schmaltz, who have both showed some good things.

Actually, I just noticed Rubins is only 22yrs old. Not a mid-20s guy like the rest. Makes him a bit more interesting for me.

Yeah, Aberg is probably done if he's not playing tonight and not practicing with the other group. I expect we'll see him hit the waiver-wire soon, and if he comes back at any point (assuming he doesn't get claimed), he's going to have to have earned his way back with his Marlie performance.

I'd also agree that the "first line" of that team is the only one that contains any forward with a prayer of making the team still. The fact that Harpur is paired with Babcock whipping-boy Justin Holl is hopefully a good sign too.

anybody have any info on Rubins btw? he looked fairly mobile for his size at least. also noticed that he's a very young 22, being a december baby.

anybody have any info on Rubins btw? he looked fairly mobile for his size at least. also noticed that he's a very young 22, being a december baby.

Had never heard of the guy prior to this training camp. Looks like he's a big Latvian kid who played his 19 year-old & overage seasons in the WHL, and then turned pro last season (which he mostly spent with the Newfoundland Growlers in the ECHL).

Back