• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Mother-fucking goddamn Off-season Thread

that’ll happen if you try to watch JT & follow the puck after he passes it to Nylander.

Pure happenstance I’m a fan of such downtrodden teams, but I think it speaks to one’s character to not jump ship just cause the going is toug…..

also think it’s a big mentally ill to only be able to enjoy teams when they win it all….the ROI for any fanbase is trash in the respect. Especially if you’re only around for the wins, you enjoy it a fraction as much as those who are there for the dark days. Life and sports are about process over results, recognizing the brilliance in the journey itself. Especially when the journey is a team as entertaining as these Leafs game after game after game.
Far more thought provoking response then I was prepared for

Sticking with Nylander (and the extension), Marner (Hunter = credit, but plenty of other GMs go Hanifin….deduct points for caving on contract), Tavares, Hyman, Freddie, Samsonov, Sandin, (sticking with, and refusing to move) Liljegren, Bunting, Jack Campbell, Muzzin, Holl & Engvall (say what you will about them, but he recognizes players in them, stuck by the. and got meaningful value out of both, imo), Mikheyev, AcciarI, ditching Zaitsev, Giordano, ditching Ritchie (own mistake, but successfully remedied), McCabe @$2m, Schenn, Knies (including refusing to move him), Rielly extension, TJ Brodie signing (and the attempt to trade for him originally which prevents the Barrie error, but signing helped recover from imo)….Nick Robertson, Topi Niemela, Sean Durzi, Carl Grundstrum, Fraser Minten, Hirvonen, Ryan O’Reilly, Kampf…..replacing Babcock with Keefe leading to one of the most successful runs in our history & the best Leaf teams arguably since 67’….etc etc…

I’d be fine with replacing Keefe…but odds of getting a GM meaningfully better than Kyle is slim, and with our history getting one far far far worse, is pretty likely.

I mean, there's a whole lot of questionable shit in there:

Nylander: Is "sticking" with him really a big deal? Yes, I know the media stupidity surrounding "trade Nylander" is a thing. But is that our bar for irreplaceable here? Not being Nick fucking Kypreos?

Marner: As mentioned, Hunter gets and probably deserves a lot of credit here. But again I think we're into "the media are idiots" bit again here. Hanifin had a pretty meh freshman season and was getting "but he's 6'3 and handsome" scouted by the media. Mitch was coming off of a semi historic 17 yr old season in the OHL and of course played for the team Hunter fucking owns.

Tavares: yeah...I don't see this as a win. I see this as a missed opportunity scooping up a non elite player for super elite money and parachuting in a robot who hadn't come close to winning anything, as captain and leader of a club. That San Jose was willing to spend more money on the mistake doesn't make the mistake not a mistake.

Hyman: Fair, great trade

Freddie: Eh, this one is a meh for me too if we're counting from Dubas tenure onward. Ignored the red flags and rode him as our #1 until be broke. Got one good year out of 3 attempts out of him, and freshly baked playoff muffins at the worst time for his troubles.

Sammy: Good move so far, yeah.

Sandin: Ehh, fucking about his development and trading him for a worse pick isn't a win

Lilly: Pending.

Bunting & Mikky: great found wallets

Campbell: Ehhh...Good cheap pickup, but riding him as a #1 turned out to be a pretty ugly mistake as well.

Ritchie: lol, you can't sign a terrible free agent and then count dumping him among the wins, may as well throw the fucking Mrazek debacle into the win column if we're doing that.

I mean, counting prospects who haven't done anything in the show (including my nephew Nick) as a win is kind of silly.

I'm not saying that he done nothing right. But I think there's just too many significant mistakes. His goaltending choices have been mostly poor (and expensive), he's yet to find enough of cost effective depth forwards he said were his job to find in the "we can and we will" series of speeches a few years ago. Even things he's done well with, like the blueline, he's built up a number of black eyes on imo with the unwillingness to develop prospects, constantly adding plug gud pros that turn out being our worst defenders by miles, etc.

So much hit and miss that I'm not remotely confident in his ability to push the organization forward and should there be top candidates out there (again I bring up Tulsky), I would definitely consider a change.

Nylander: Is "sticking" with him really a big deal? Yes, I know the media stupidity surrounding "trade Nylander" is a thing. But is that our bar for irreplaceable here? Not being Nick fucking Kypreos?

Marner: As mentioned, Hunter gets and probably deserves a lot of credit here. But again I think we're into "the media are idiots" bit again here. Hanifin had a pretty meh freshman season and was getting "but he's 6'3 and handsome" scouted by the media. Mitch was coming off of a semi historic 17 yr old season in the OHL and of course played for the team Hunter fucking owns.

Tavares: yeah...I don't see this as a win. I see this as a missed opportunity scooping up a non elite player for super elite money and parachuting in a robot who hadn't come close to winning anything, as captain and leader of a club. That San Jose was willing to spend more money on the mistake doesn't make the mistake not a mistake.

Freddie: Eh, this one is a meh for me too if we're counting from Dubas tenure onward. Ignored the red flags and rode him as our #1 until be broke. Got one good year out of 3 attempts out of him, and freshly baked playoff muffins at the worst time for his troubles.

Sandin: Ehh, fucking about his development and trading him for a worse pick isn't a win

Campbell: Ehhh...Good cheap pickup, but riding him as a #1 turned out to be a pretty ugly mistake as well.

Ritchie: lol, you can't sign a terrible free agent and then count dumping him among the wins, may as well throw the fucking Mrazek debacle into the win column if we're doing that.

I mean, counting prospects who haven't done anything in the show (including my nephew Nick) as a win is kind of silly.

I'm not saying that he done nothing right. But I think there's just too many significant mistakes. His goaltending choices have been mostly poor (and expensive), he's yet to find enough of cost effective depth forwards he said were his job to find in the "we can and we will" series of speeches a few years ago. Even things he's done well with, like the blueline, he's built up a number of black eyes on imo with the unwillingness to develop prospects, constantly adding plug gud pros that turn out being our worst defenders by miles, etc.

So much hit and miss that I'm not remotely confident in his ability to push the organization forward and should there be top candidates out there (again I bring up Tulsky), I would definitely consider a change.
A lot of truth here but I still think it’s better than 50/50 that his replacement is way worse

I understand the interest in moving on but I feel like it’s way more likely he’s replaced with a Brad Treliving than a nerdier nerd

I definitely understand this fear, but the one thing that tempers that for me is that it was Shanahan who initially wanted to revamp the organization to be more data driven. Dubas was brought in largely because of the work he did in the Sault using data to revamp their program.

Most of the things that Shanny can be faulted for as rumours and innuendo (thumb on the scale, etc). I mean, sure, if Shanny was the one who dictated to Dubas that the plan needs to change and we went left, sure fuck him too. But that's all just theory crafting and inference.

A lot of truth here but I still think it’s better than 50/50 that his replacement is way worse

It's one of, if not the most desirable job in the league. We're into our PTSD bag on this one I think, that we're going full dinosaur as a repudiation of this era, when it might very well be that we hired a dinosaur in nerd glasses and Shanny was sold a bill of goods that Dubas backtracked on as he got deeper into his tenure. Dubas wouldn't be the first guy ever to sit in a job interview and talk a great game but not be able to deliver on it.

It's one of, if not the most desirable job in the league. We're into our PTSD bag on this one I think, that we're going full dinosaur as a repudiation of this era, when it might very well be that we hired a dinosaur in nerd glasses and Shanny was sold a bill of goods that Dubas backtracked on as he got deeper into his tenure. Dubas wouldn't be the first guy ever to sit in a job interview and talk a great game but not be able to deliver on it.
Maybe

Or maybe Shanny got cold feet and insisted on toughness and experience and Dubas has been holding down the fort clinging to the last shreds of discernible skill based hockey that he could

Maybe

Or maybe Shanny got cold feet and insisted on toughness and experience and Dubas has been holding down the fort clinging to the last shreds of discernible skill based hockey that he could

They've barely been seen together in like 12 months, I don't think that's because Shanny is dictating roster moves to him.

Again, Shanny was the first guy on this train in the organization. Doesn't strike me as a "cold feet" kind of guy and looking around the league there's no reason for him to believe that his inclination of going data driven was the wrong way. The clubs that have put data at the centre of their decision making are winning.

disagree, in the NHL landscape of even a few years ago, a pile of teams don’t stick with him through our run….especially if the first round losses occurred in this hypothetical as well.

far far more likely he’s dealt.

you say that, but he went after Strome for size reasons, and loads of folks preferred Hanafin at the time.

can’t take away legit wins, just because he did what we wanted, and then assume others would have too, imo.
Tavares: yeah...I don't see this as a win. I see this as a missed opportunity scooping up a non elite player for super elite money and parachuting in a robot who hadn't come close to winning anything, as captain and leader of a club.
Completely disagree

Hes been a phenomenal player the whole times he’s been here, has played a massive role in us having the success we have, is coming off 36/80 in year 5 of a 7 year deal….and didn’t cost us a single asset to acquire other than money, which invariably is a percentage of the acquisition cost when signing UFA’s. (Plenty of teams trade huge assets to acquire a player of this ilk, and then extend them for UFA money.)

Had a completely unforeseen event not resulted in complete cap stagnation this isn’t even remotely a conversation…..but even just factoring in a mill or two per as the acquisition cost, it’s been a fantastic addition superior to nearly any other in Leafs history.

Id recalled Dubas being a driving force in going for Andersen, but I accept if I was wrong on that. Three straight years of .918 goaltending, a span of 192 starts, is one of the best runs in franchise history imo.

The pick is an undisputed win imo.

maybe for you….I think Lil has been a fantastic developmental story, given how much everyone had written him off.

Found wallets is of pretty important significance for GMs….creating real value out of thin air, is enormous,

.916 goalie for us for two full seasons and playoffs….thats a win. Unfortunate he had a brutal year two Yoffs..but he was also .934 the year prior.

if something like the Jack Campbell acquisition isn’t a win, i think expectations for GMs levels of perfection is far too high.

moving off mistakes quickly is a huge ✅ in any manager. Hockey or elsewhere.
draft picks doing well after their selection is a win regardless….if an asset is more valuable today thats a win. They also don’t even need to pan out in the NHL to be wins.…so long as they’re dealt while they hold said prospect value.

I just think going off this list alone, your expectations for the success hit rate for a GM is unrealistically high.

Tulsky would be a great replacement candidate…..but he’s far from being any sort of lock to be superior to Dubas. (They probably agree on a large swath of moves as it is…..but I don’t feel like (a) gambling theyd choose him, (b) that he’d be better and (c) that we wouldn’t pick someone demonstrably worse.

If our outcomes had been better this would be another nonstarter convo imo, and most people wouldn’t even dream of a swap….but some brutal playoff puck luck/getting goalied (which we know is outside the GMs hands), and we don’t have a couple gret runs under our belts that would solidify peoples appreciation for Dubas, despite him having done nothing different than he has.

Hell, just the Tavares injury in the Habs series alone, could have been the difference between us being in a ECF, or the Stanley Cup Finals themselves.

Im trusting In this process, over the results….or that a stab in the dark guess in changing GMs might positively impact results.

Dubas ain't the worst gm in the league but most of his good moves were a result of him trusting and following his own process. Recently he has made several errors, all due to him bailing on his process.

I'm anxious about who his replacement would be but he's nowhere near irreplaceable. Not even close.

I definitely understand this fear, but the one thing that tempers that for me is that it was Shanahan who initially wanted to revamp the organization to be more data driven. Dubas was brought in largely because of the work he did in the Sault using data to revamp their program.

Most of the things that Shanny can be faulted for as rumours and innuendo (thumb on the scale, etc). I mean, sure, if Shanny was the one who dictated to Dubas that the plan needs to change and we went left, sure fuck him too. But that's all just theory crafting and inference.

the only thing I’d add to this, is that throughout sports history one of the more common phenomenons is teams replacing a coach/GM with one methodology, and replacing them with a vastly different (often completely opposite) approach.

So we might be really playing with fire to hope the next hire would be even more Dubas than Dubas, analytically.

Yeah, we're really not going to agree on much there.

Yet here we are a bunch of years in and getting outed in 5 games by a 92 point team in the 2nd round is our high water mark. Me thinks you're being a bit too kind in your judgement of the individual moves that landed us here.

Yeah, we're really not going to agree on much there.

Yet here we are a bunch of years in and getting outed in 5 games by a 92 point team in the 2nd round is our high water mark. Me thinks you're being a bit too kind in your judgement of the individual moves that landed us here.

a 92pt team who got .901 goaltending from Bob….if we faced that, we sweep them…hell even .910 Bob and we likely win in 5.

Back