• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Mother-fucking goddamn Off-season Thread

A team willingly gave Kadri 7xforever last summer. Never underestimate the stupidity of NHL GM's with cap space. ROR looked good enough for us to believe the narrative that he's fine and worth the investment.
Can't see O'Reilly getting anything starting with a 7. Something starting with a 6 is possible for sure. I think he could be realistic though and take less to try and win, but I see the appeal for teams to throw money at him.

lol. keep going mate.

Bunting probably comes in at something in the 4-6 years 4.5-5.5 range. Ryan Strome signed 5x5 last summer, 34 yr old Reilly Smith signed 5x3yrs. Mason Marchment signed 4.5x4 after a single 18 goal season. Bunting is coming off of back to back 23 goal seasons without 1st unit PP time. Now, I'm the first to say "beware of paying the worst player on a line/PP unit/etc", but that's not really subscribed to around the league. His ratfuckery is going to be valued in addition to his offence.
This I struggle with. He's no Hyman and was demoted for much of the second half of the season, made a bonehead move in the playoffs and the team started winning with Knies in his place. I think he stays for the local discount, but you're right that sillier things have happened.

Sammy's agent isn't going to give away UFA years for cheap but just for safety will probably prefer a multi year deal instead of a QO & show me year. His agent will probably try to value UFA years at 5 million, and the rfa year at 3.5ish. 3/13.5 total.
I trust Dubas with RFA's. But also think Woll is the better goalie, so if he starts going there, I'd rather trade Sammy.

lol, why do people keep acting like a guy who has literally been a UFA a bunch of times and keeps getting offered vet min or damn close is going to end up at nearly 2x that at 33-34?

I'm good with bringing Schenn back, but we're talking about .9-1.0 here (basically the .850 he made this year + cap inflation).
Could be for sure and I hope that's the case. But I don't think he's quite as comfortable as Gio to take the minimum. But we'll see.

Happy to come to all of these later on and see where they end up.

Wouldn't be surprised if Dubas has other offers he's considering, but I'm a fan of what he's been able to do.

He's put the team in a position to win every year.

The players haven't pulled through for him.
He can't take offers while under contract. A team would have to ask and the Leafs could request compensation to do so.

legit question....why?

I'm trying to take a level approach to his tenure, but I see the talk & promise vs the execution having a wide gulf between them. The only thing I can come up with on the "keep him" side is that a replacement might be worse. Devil you know and all of that. But nothing he's actually done in the job suggests that he's head and shoulders above top replacements out there. Is Dubas actually better than Tulsky?

Sticking with Nylander (and the extension), Marner (Hunter = credit, but plenty of other GMs go Hanifin….deduct points for caving on contract), Tavares, Hyman, Freddie, Samsonov, Sandin, (sticking with, and refusing to move) Liljegren, Bunting, Jack Campbell, Muzzin, Holl & Engvall (say what you will about them, but he recognizes players in them, stuck by the. and got meaningful value out of both, imo), Mikheyev, AcciarI, ditching Zaitsev, Giordano, ditching Ritchie (own mistake, but successfully remedied), McCabe @$2m, Schenn, Knies (including refusing to move him), Rielly extension, TJ Brodie signing (and the attempt to trade for him originally which prevents the Barrie error, but signing helped recover from imo)….Nick Robertson, Topi Niemela, Sean Durzi, Carl Grundstrum, Fraser Minten, Hirvonen, Ryan O’Reilly, Kampf…..replacing Babcock with Keefe leading to one of the most successful runs in our history & the best Leaf teams arguably since 67’….etc etc…

I’d be fine with replacing Keefe…but odds of getting a GM meaningfully better than Kyle is slim, and with our history getting one far far far worse, is pretty likely.

Sticking with Nylander (and the extension), Marner (Hunter = credit, but plenty of other GMs go Hanifin….deduct points for caving on contract), Tavares, Hyman, Freddie, Samsonov, Sandin, (sticking with, and refusing to move) Liljegren, Bunting, Jack Campbell, Muzzin, Holl & Engvall (say what you will about them, but he recognizes players in them, stuck by the. and got meaningful value out of both, imo), Mikheyev, AcciarI, ditching Zaitsev, Giordano, ditching Ritchie (own mistake, but successfully remedied), McCabe @$2m, Schenn, Knies (including refusing to move him), Rielly extension, TJ Brodie signing (and the attempt to trade for him originally which prevents the Barrie error, but signing helped recover from imo)….Nick Robertson, Topi Niemela, Sean Durzi, Carl Grundstrum, Fraser Minten, Hirvonen, Ryan O’Reilly, Kampf…..replacing Babcock with Keefe leading to one of the most successful runs in our history & the best Leaf teams arguably since 67’….etc etc…

I’d be fine with replacing Keefe…but odds of getting a GM meaningfully better than Kyle is slim, and with our history getting one far far far worse, is pretty likely.

….and the biggest argument of all. WeHave liked your post, and agrees.

checkmate.

Just because you bought a bit of beach front for your own use, doesn't mean that you get to rename the Island.

Cartographers call it Robidas Island bud.
Except that's in Hudson Bay. We're in the keys.

>>>>

I understand the interest in moving on but I feel like it’s way more likely he’s replaced with a Brad Treliving than a nerdier nerd

Well said.

It's possible to get better, but more likely you get worse.

Dubas has been above-average on almost all aspects of his job. Tough to blame him.

Imagine thinking Tavares was the third best skater. Because he flukes in an OT muffin?

He led the team in expected goals (6.5) and xG per 60 (1.8)….behind only Nylander in shots per 60 (12.82), led the team in face off % (63.1)….led in high danger unblocked shot attempts (11)….high danger xGoals, second behind Matthews in on ice shot attempt % (58%)….on ice goals% 59%)…. etc etc etc.

im not stating where he ranked, but it doesn’t just need to be because of an OT goal.

He led the team in expected goals (6.5) and xG per 60 (1.8)….behind only Nylander in shots per 60 (12.82), led the team in face off % (63.1)….led in high danger unblocked shot attempts (11)….high danger xGoals, etc etc etc.

im not stating where he ranked, but it doesn’t just need to be because of an OT goal.
You’re aware whose mind I was trying to read.

zero % chance any of what you said factored n

He led the team in expected goals (6.5) and xG per 60 (1.8)….behind only Nylander in shots per 60 (12.82), led the team in face off % (63.1)….led in high danger unblocked shot attempts (11)….high danger xGoals, etc etc etc.

Painfully slow and overpaid and clear worst of the core 4

You’re aware whose mind I was trying to read.

zero % chance any of what you said factored n

doesnt mean his eye test wasn’t superior to yours, and didn’t vastly overcorrect due to footspeed, tho.

I get the urge to discount him because his slowness is so easily identifiable…but the guy is a mini-Crosby in terms of doing a fuckton of small things right, game in game out.

doesnt mean his eye test wasn’t superior to yours, and didn’t vastly overcorrect due to footspeed.

I get the visuals with JT…but the guy is a mini-Crosby in terms of doing a fuckton of small things right, game in game out.
I just detached a retina.

By the way is the combination of being a Leafs, Jets and Tottenham fan the tonic that leads to the philosophy of not caring about seeing a team win ever but as long as they are fun to watch and try hard?

I just detached a retina.

that’ll happen if you try to watch JT & follow the puck after he passes it to Nylander.
By the way is the combination of being a Leafs, Jets and Tottenham fan the tonic that leads to the philosophy of not caring about seeing a team win ever but as long as they are fun to watch and try hard?

Pure happenstance I’m a fan of such downtrodden teams, but I think it speaks to one’s character to not jump ship just cause the going is toug…..

also think it’s a big mentally ill to only be able to enjoy teams when they win it all….the ROI for any fanbase is trash in the respect. Especially if you’re only around for the wins, you enjoy it a fraction as much as those who are there for the dark days. Life and sports are about process over results, recognizing the brilliance in the journey itself. Especially when the journey is a team as entertaining as these Leafs game after game after game.

Back