• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Mother-fucking goddamn Off-season Thread

Now we just need him to put together at least one MVP season in there somewhere, and consistent 50+ goal/100+ point seasons.

Not being an ass, the money is fine - but the contract only looks good if he can deliver, and I think he can.

I didn't want longer. 4-5 years was my preference. His next contract should be cheaper, inflation adjusted. This one takes him to the end of his prime.

Reactions: CH1
I didn't want longer. 4-5 years was my preference. His next contract should be cheaper, inflation adjusted. This one takes him to the end of his prime.
Interesting take on it. I like that.

Truth is, Matty does take the risk here too. Heaven forbid his health doesn't hold up, he's leaving $50M on the table.

And I do think 5 years would've been the sweet spot. That'd put him under contract for 6 more years from here on out, and really take that one more prime year away from him. Ah well.

Better win, regardless of nitpicking over dollars and term, that's all I know.

Interesting take on it. I like that.

Truth is, Matty does take the risk here too. Heaven forbid his health doesn't hold up, he's leaving $50M on the table.
I wanted 8 years on his first RFA contract. I had no interest in 8 years this time around unless he took a discount as he should for his 32-35 years. If he keeps performing well at the end of this deal great. Give him another nice contract, who gives a fuck. If he dips a bit or has injury issues? Great, you get him cheaper for his 31-35 years than you otherwise would have.

Matthews takes the risk here.

Last edited:
And I do think 5 years would've been the sweet spot. That'd put him under contract for 6 more years from here on out, and really take that one more prime year away from him. Ah well.

Better win, regardless of nitpicking over dollars and term, that's all I know.
Yeah 5 was my preference not realizing 4 was even on the table. I'd have to think about which I'd truly prefer.. maybe 5 but it's splitting hairs.

I wanted 8 years on his first RFA contract. I had no interest in 8 years this time around unless he took a discount as he should for his 32-34 years. If he keeps performing well at the end of this deal great. Give him another nice contract, who gives a fuck. If he dips a bit or has injury issues? Great, you get him cheaper for his 30-34 years than you otherwise would have.

Matthews takes the risk here.
If we haven't won within the next 5 years, I doubt Matty continues as a Leaf.

That's probably part of his calculus here, not wanting to be into his 30's and stuck for 4 extra years of criticism when he probably won't be good enough to carry the team on his back at that time. This next 5 years is the window, or all these guys are gone.

Back