• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Mother-fucking goddamn Off-season Thread

…and let’s be honest, Auston hasn’t been played over 74 games in a season since his 82 game rookie campaign.

It’s not like he’s been an ironman, up to this point.

I've brought that up a couple of times in the past when term discussions have come up.

Locking guys into 8 years isn't always the smartest play.

Cap Percentage

19-20: 14.27%
20-21: 14.28%
21-22: 14.28%
22-23: 14.11%
23-24: 13.94%
24-25: 15.14% (league proj)
25-26: 14.40% (league proj)
26-27: 13.66% (zeke proj)
27-28: 12.93% (zeke proj)

If you're referring to Connor, Edmonton ended up 8 x 12.5 for him and he's a UFA again at 28 yrs old.

We've now ended up with Auston for 9 x 12.4 (in total) and he's a UFA at 30.

What's the problem?
Well Connor couldn't be UFA sooner because he couldn't only sign 8 years. But he signed 8 years.

I've brought that up a couple of times in the past when term discussions have come up.

Locking guys into 8 years isn't always the smartest play.
I'm all for it when they're 22.. but at 27 the safe move is the pay for the years you know will be their prime. After that, there's too much volatility player to player. A Matthews type should age well but I'd rather know for sure and would be happy to pay for it if he's still the same ol' (albeit balder) Auston. That next contract will have some risk to it regardless though. Oh well they have 5 kicks at the can until then. They should win a cup during his prime anyway.

I fully recognize that this wasn't a Tree Bitch thing. Sounds like he wanted longer term too.. but I've been on the record from the beginning that this is highly preferable to 8 years.

Reality is 4 years is risky for Matthews. I get people will say cap is rising, but that assumes he has the same starpower at 31. He's had a lot of injuries to wrist/shoulder.

I'm all for it when they're 22.. but at 27 the safe move is the pay for the years you know will be their prime. After that, there's too much volatility player to player. A Matthews type should age well but I'd rather know for sure and would be happy to pay for it if he's still the same ol' (albeit balder) Auston. That next contract will have some risk to it regardless though. Oh well they have 5 kicks at the can until then. They should win a cup during his prime anyway.

I fully recognize that this wasn't a Tree Bitch thing. Sounds like he wanted longer term too.. but I've been on the record from the beginning that this is highly preferable to 8 years.
I'm just glad he didn't trade him for Huberdeau and Weegar.

I'm actually curious about the timeline where Matty took 8 years on his last deal and McDavid took 5 years and was expiring now.

Wouldn't that have been an interesting scenario to see play out this summer.

People are too fixated on the TMZ shit here. Player doesn't sign for 8 years again. This means he's greedy or wants to leave or only cares about money bla bla. Who cares about the psychology of Matthews. Look at it from the Leafs perspective; this is a great thing.

People are too fixated on the TMZ shit here. Player doesn't sign for 8 years again. This means he's greedy or wants to leave or only cares about money bla bla. Who cares about the psychology of Matthews. Look at it from the Leafs perspective; this is a great thing.
I personally only care about the psychology of Zadina.

Theorizing on the psychology of Matty or Nylander isn't as important to my day to day.

I’m with Presto on the contract length, and I’ve said this before too—the contract I wanted him signed to for max term was his second contract. This contract I didn’t care as much.

If a guy with chronic wrist problems who rarely plays a full season only wants to be locked up for his age 27-30 seasons and not his 31-34 years, that’s not necessarily a bad thing for the team.

Still would’ve preferred an extra year, and the AAV’s OK, just OK. But my real worry was that he’d only want to re-up for 1-3 years to take full advantage of a rising cap while also breaking new ground a lot closer towards a max-level individual player salary. So at least this isn’t that.

That we don’t also have to hear the Dregers of the world spend the next 8-9 months salivating over how much he’ll make and/or what American team he’ll sign with is also a big plus.

Back