• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Mother-fucking goddamn Off-season Thread

So I guess Dubas wasn't to blame on the last contracts.
This looks bad on Matthews really. He'll be remembered for this if they don't win.
I also think he is leaving at the end of the 4 years
If your not close to a cup in 2 years , just move him and reboot

yeah we don't have to pretend this contract is amazing for the Leafs. it is kinda frustrating that he didn't sign for longer, but at the same time covid did seriously fuck with the cap so i can understand why a player would want a shorter contract right now.

the risk here is largely for Matthews, though, not the team, so not gonna complain about it too much.

also, we hear this "highest contract ever" nonsense every time a guy signs the highest contract ever. It's always replaced in short order by the next highest contract ever. Non-issue.

I’m with Presto on the contract length, and I’ve said this before too—the contract I wanted him signed to for max term was his second contract. This contract I didn’t care as much.

If a guy with chronic wrist problems who rarely plays a full season only wants to be locked up for his age 27-30 seasons and not his 31-34 years, that’s not necessarily a bad thing for the team.

Still would’ve preferred an extra year, and the AAV’s OK, just OK. But my real worry was that he’d only want to re-up for 1-3 years to take full advantage of a rising cap while also breaking new ground a lot closer towards a max-level individual player salary. So at least this isn’t that.

That we don’t also have to hear the Dregers of the world spend the next 8-9 months salivating over how much he’ll make and/or what American team he’ll sign with is also a big plus.
Yeah I said 5 was my preference too not realizing 4 was even an option. I'd have to think about it more but maybe I'd lean towards 5 too if pressed. Truth is I bet Leafs were at 5 and he was at 3 and they met in the middle. I had him at 13.5x5.. I bet that was the deal on the table. At 4 years he gets a little less.

And now he'll be 31 when he negotiates his next contract. He better do some special shit these next 5 years.

yeah we don't have to pretend this contract is amazing for the Leafs. it is kinda frustrating that he didn't sign for longer, but at the same time covid did seriously fuck with the cap so i can understand why a player would want a shorter contract right now.

the risk here is largely for Matthews, though, not the team, so not gonna complain about it too much.

also, we hear this "highest contract ever" nonsense every time a guy signs the highest contract ever. It's always replaced in short order by the next highest contract ever. Non-issue.
It kinda is amazing. They signed one of the best players in hockey and he'll be a leaf until he's 31. I can't think of a better signing than that. Now if one was expecting him to sign for 10m then year I guess it wouldn't be amazing. But the market was pretty obvious.

There's some really crappy owners and teams with shitty operational budgets who get their stars for 8 years
8 years when they're 22, no argument there. Dubas should have pushed hard for max term, though maybe he had no choice.

8 years till they're 35? There's some shared risk there. You shouldn't have such a strong opinion on that one. They are drastically different situations. Remove yourself from the TMZ stuff and think about what's best for the team/player.

Yeah I said 5 was my preference too not realizing 4 was even an option. I'd have to think about it more but maybe I'd lean towards 5 too if pressed. Truth is I bet Leafs were at 5 and he was at 3 and they met in the middle. I had him at 13.5x5.. I bet that was the deal on the table. At 4 years he gets a little less.

And now he'll be 31 when he negotiates his next contract. He better do some special shit these next 5 years.

I suspect the way Auston and his reps have gamed out his contract situation is that it’ll be his next contract where he’ll finally be looking for a max-term eight year deal.

That was he can make big money through pretty much the entirety of his 30’s, instead of potentially ending up like Tavares and playing for significantly less money from age 34 through to whenever he retires.

So yeah, if that is the plan, he will have to be really fucking good (and relatively healthy) through to the end of this contract. And/or he’ll have to play a significant role in leading the team to a Cup—in which case they’d likely pay him whatever the hell he wants to keep him as a career Leaf.

If he is still playing like the top 3 player in the world he is when the contract ends he may want that 8 year deal. That's the bigger risk for me. Paying for 31-35 on this deal vs paying the 31-39 year ages.

Like I often say with stocks. If it performs well and shows growth or at least consistency, I'll gladly pay more for it later. Same applies to Matthews. He has 5 years to whip out his juicy cock for this organization. You want to be paid from 31-39? Show me. 5 whole fucking seasons.

Back