• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Mother-fucking goddamn Off-season Thread

Gun to my head, I thought he'd get 13.5x5. So 13.25x4 seems perfectly reasonable to me. Not sure I get the complaints about term. This isn't a 22 year old that you want to lock up till 30. This is a guy who will be 27 and he'll be 31 in the first year of his next contract.

I don't care who the player is, I'd rather pay for his prime years and figure out the next contract after rather than handing him whatever he'd want till he's 35. The risk is all on the players end here.

If we haven't won within the next 5 years, I doubt Matty continues as a Leaf.

That's probably part of his calculus here, not wanting to be into his 30's and stuck for 4 extra years of criticism when he probably won't be good enough to carry the team on his back at that time. This next 5 years is the window, or all these guys are gone.
If that's how he feels then I'm glad. I much prefer this over max term.

If that's how he feels then I'm glad. I much prefer this over max term.
Looking ahead...

Willy signs for some longer term, probably 5-6 years I'd guess.

Next year, Marner probably gets $12M and prefers longer term to stay with his beloved Leafs.

Tavares's deal expires and he resigns for some lesser amount like $4M or something.

McDavid's deal expires and he comes home for like $15M in three years.

Who knows about the other players, like does Bertuzzi fit in and stay, and does Knies become super studly, and does Lilly cement himself? But I would bet the core shapes up like that.

Honestly that's a ridiculous contract. Let's be serious. They get everything and he only gives 4 years?

I mean, we have Matthews under contract for the rest of his prime and get to re evaluate when he's 29-30 yrs old.

Why are we supposed to be so terrified of him leaving? Did someone's father step out for milk and never come back when they were a child?

If you're referring to Connor, Edmonton ended up 8 x 12.5 for him and he's a UFA again at 28 yrs old.

We've now ended up with Auston for 9 x 12.4 (in total) and he's a UFA at 30.

What's the problem?
UFA at 31! Even better tbh. Any older and some uncertainty creeps in.

Back