• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Mother-fucking goddamn Off-season Thread

I dislike the Kampf contract, but I understand the desire/need to have someone who fills that D zone faceoff role. I don't trust Tavares with it, and while Matthews could do it and should get the most important ones in tight games, he shouldn't be doing them full time either.

Would be nice if one of our middle 6 C's were capable of it though, and the 4C could strictly be an energy line guy with some speed.

Minty Holmberg being able to handle it frees us out of that gross Kampf deal. But Keefe is obsessed with Kampf so it’s hard to imagine he leaves any time soon.

Even if Minten makes it, Kampf will always be the more trusted commodity and will likely get more minutes than Minten in most games. If Reaves is in the lineup you can't really play him more than 7-8 minutes and Kampf is gonna be right up in the 13-16mpg range all year again (he was 7th on the team in EV mpg for forwards at 12:36, fwiw, only behind the core 4, ROR and Bunting). Which means lots of situational ice time for him, especially when they're defending a lead. So the 3c isn't really gonna be a conventional 3c I think.. I suspect he may get the 4th most even strength ice time for centers in most games.

But that also means the 3c may have the most cush center job in hockey this year for the Leafs. No reason to not give Minten a go.

Minty Holmberg being able to handle it frees us out of that gross Kampf deal.

There's no evidence that they can handle it now, or should be able to in the future. I don't think Kampf is anymore than just passable at the skill, but it is a skill to line up in the defensive zone against the oppositions top line and limit scoring chances and find a way out of the zone without something bad happening. Kampf is pretty okay at that. If he wasn't a black hole offensively he would be a pretty good 3C

Yeah, I don't think Holmberg is getting shutdown minutes. Minten one day, but probably not as a 19 year old rookie. Keefe probably won't even let him make the team as a 19 year old rookie.

Willy not practicing at center could mean Minten is gonna get his 9 games. Or maybe Holmberg makes it. He has come on late in camp.

Maybe

Gregor - Minten - Lafferty
Robertson - Holmberg - Jarnkrok
Hirvonen - Tverberg - Cowan
Abbruzzese - Shaw - Ellis

Benoit - Kokkonen
Lagesson - Niemela
Rifai - Miller

Back