• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

TML? More like FML, amirite? Yet Another Off Season Thread

Makes signing Matty and Marner for a reasonable sum so key. If they both want like $13M - $14M, and McDavid does too, then it won't be doable unless we want Marleau, Jonas, and P84 on the third line. Matty will probably be the unofficial ceiling for McDavid in that situation. Although by then Matty will have signed and so McDavid could hold out for highest paid.

I don't expect us to get connor unless he specifically wants to come to us and really only us.

I'm just happy that Edmonton is finally dealing with the same type of shit we deal with all the time though. Connor coming to Toronto is way more plausible than Auston signing with Arizona state ever was.

Oil won't let Connor go away for nothing....if they have to, they'll trade him (and settle for less than he's worth) as Connor will give them a very short list of destinations (Toronto being one of them most probably)

Makes signing Matty and Marner for a reasonable sum so key. If they both want like $13M - $14M, and McDavid does too, then it won't be doable unless we want Marleau, Jonas, and P84 on the third line. Matty will probably be the unofficial ceiling for McDavid in that situation. Although by then Matty will have signed and so McDavid could hold out for highest paid.

That would be a very similar percentage of the cap as right now but for Matthews, Marner, McDavid instead of Matthews, Marner, Tavares.

Oil won't let Connor go away for nothing....if they have to, they'll trade him (and settle for less than he's worth) as Connor will give them a very short list of destinations (Toronto being one of them most probably)
Enter the NMC which can allow McDavid to say he wants to focus on the season and not be traded, and then Tavares his way to TO.

It's sort of a pipe dream but... cap wouldn't necessarily stop us. We're set up as well as anyone else.

He's going to get crazy offers though.

Also

giphy.gif

<laughs in Patrick Marleau>

At age 35, I'm guessing he's going to be on a 1 year deal, maybe maybe maybe 2, and think more like $3M or so.

Who even knows what he'll be like at that age. The only certainty is that Cliffy and Simmonds will still be on the roster getting their annuities.

At age 35, I'm guessing he's going to be on a 1 year deal, maybe maybe maybe 2, and think more like $3M or so.

This is mental.

If he's not entirely junk by then, he's still going to want to get paid.

Jeff Carter scored 45 points last year and signed for "3M or so" x 2 years.

If Tavares is worth keeping around at that point, think Marleau, Pavelski, Malkin type money. Multiple years, 5.5-7 million per.

well he'll have to still be PPG by then to get that kind of deal.

even then, given how much money we gave him, and how much he apparently wanted to be in toronto, he'll come in at a discount anyways, and we'll just give him the security of term.

This is mental.

If he's not entirely junk by then, he's still going to want to get paid.

Jeff Carter scored 45 points last year and signed for "3M or so" x 2 years.

If Tavares is worth keeping around at that point, think Marleau, Pavelski, Malkin type money. Multiple years, 5.5-7 million per.
Giordano? Spezza? It's like you haven't just seen examples of joke contracts guys have taken to be Leafs in their twilight years. Sure, they're older, but they're still waaaaaay more productive and provide far more value than their salaries.

You think Tavares wants to get up and go be a 1C on a shit club for big money when he can play on the same team as Matty, Marner, and McDavid? He might pay the Leafs to stay. And he's made so much over this deal and prior that I don't think he's going to be pining over a few bucks in his final couple of years.

Tavares may not take a sweetheart deal when his current deal is done, but I’m not sure how you can discount the possibility

He’ll have made a shit ton of money by the time his current deal is done. He’s the rare high-end UFA who left his original team and did it specifically because he wanted to be here. He also left about $14M on the table to come here, if the reports about what the Sharks offered him are accurate.

All of that argues in favour of him pulling a Spezza/Giordano for his next deal, I think.

Back