• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-20 Miscellaneous NHL/Hockey News Thread

I like to wish big.

what he does
Get in the way
Take penalties

what he doesn’t do
Score
Play D

I’d be happy if he just quit doing the things he does.
Meh ... just knock off the sloppy turnovers and cut out half of the PIMs and we'd be a lot happier with the guy. I think he's still got a decent chance to hit 20 goals or so, given that he's been super streaky his whole career ... and he's been snakebit shooting the puck lately. Clean up the other stuff and he's probably fine. He's just frustrating ... nothing new there.

After reading some of the Canadian hate that percolates in here I must be Paulie Walnuts worst nightmare...I’m Canadian, and I live in Cary in a beige house...we’re really not all that bad folks!

It looks like Sports Illustrated and The Hockey News are teaming up to create competition for the hockey content on The Athletic. But The Athletic took all the best hockey writers that SI cut loose and THN is a joke on its best days.

It looks like Sports Illustrated and The Hockey News are teaming up to create competition for the hockey content on The Athletic. But The Athletic took all the best hockey writers that SI cut loose and THN is a joke on its best days.

The Athletic announces a HUGE valuation based on their subscriber base and stock price the other day ... like $500 million or something. And that's what? 2.5 years in? Not only have they absorbed the most interesting group of NHL writers going, they've also collected all sorts of quality writers covering virtually every other sport as newspapers and wire services have shed payroll. TSN and SI are both driving the decline of good sportswriting. The Athletic is actually trying to stem the tide. I'd like to think that consumers are smart enough to know the difference.

After reading some of the Canadian hate that percolates in here I must be Paulie Walnuts worst nightmare...I’m Canadian, and I live in Cary in a beige house...we’re really not all that bad folks!
Some of my best friends are Canadians who live in beige houses. OK ... one guy, but whatever.

Yeah ... I read that this morning. I'm on the fence about Eric as a HHOFer, but if he keeps piling up points late in his career he's gonna keep pushing people off that fence. It would be absolutely amazing for this franchise to have one of their homegrown draft picks make the Hall, so I hope he keeps knocking the door down.

Great article in The Athletic concerning Eric Staal and if he's good enough for the HHoF. Very touching moment at the beginning of the article of when he met Riley Stillman on the ice for the first time.

This is just another piece of sports journalism from The Athletic.

As an owner of at least four Eric Staal jerseys, I am obviously biased, but I fully expect he will be in the Hall some day, especially after reading this article.

If he helps the Wild win the Cup it'll help him, too...

Being in the Triple Gold Club helps. He could have legitimately won the Conn Smythe in 2006, he was the leading scorer in the playoffs. He probably needs 3 more years to get to 500 goals, that would do it.

The Triple Gold thing is a big deal. Olympic Gold medal, World Championships Gold medal, Stanley Cup ... that list is fairly short and of exceptionally high quality.

No Americans in the Triple Gold Club. In fact, only four countries have representatives in that club: Canada, Russia, Sweden, and the Czech Republic.

No Americans in the Triple Gold Club. In fact, only four countries have representatives in that club: Canada, Russia, Sweden, and the Czech Republic.

Finland has 3 World Championships but never an Olympic gold medal, only 2 silvers and 4 bronzes. The US has 2 Olympic golds in 1960 and 1980 and 2 World Championships, in 1933 and 1960. Ken Morrow won the gold medal and Stanley Cup in 1980 but never a World Championship.

Last edited:
+1 for The Athletic. It is a great publication that deserves your business if you choose to pay for a sports media subscription. Great stuff.

I think if Eric Staal can play a couple more decent years and get to 500 goals and 1200 points, there will be no debate about his HOF credentials. While I think he squandered his ability some during his career in Carolina, he has always been a quality person and I wish him the best during the rest of his career. I hope he gets to the 500/1200 club.

Squandered. Good word. We used to make fun of his excessive TOA...Time on A$$...and the way he lollygagged back to the bench sometimes.

Hurricanes legend Martin Frk hit 109.2 MPH in the AHL skills competition. Ned shared the top goalie award.

Not sure if Staal's issues were personal or coach driven. But he was wholly unmotivated some nights. He definitely didnt give 100% that often. His numbers could probably have been vastly different. I came to dislike the guy because he'd yap at refs and then slowly skate to the bench while his team played 4 on 5 for the next 15 seconds. Drove me nuts.

Staal was here a VERY long time, through a couple of (in hindsight) fairly terrible coaches and a couple of good ones. His "issues" over the years were all of the above ... sometimes physical, sometimes an issue with coaching, sometimes other crap. It should also be noted that several coaches during that stretch over-used the guy, and he often had less than wonderful support from the rest of his line. I've always been willing to give the guy maybe 25% of a pass for his down years because of the general organizational malaise going on around him. I think you have to take into account that he was the best player on what was generally a bad team. That's not easy and having half the fan base analyzing your body language at the end of every shift didn't make it any easier. Over time, I hope the Canes fan base can start to give the guy a break ... but I'm not so sure that will actually happen. Despite all he accomplished here, I don't think Eric Staal will ever be appreciated in this market the way guys like Francis and Brind'Amour are. Maybe he doesn't deserve to be ... I dunno. But I do think he deserves better than he gets in general.

Back