• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-20 Miscellaneous NHL/Hockey News Thread

Of forwards on standard contracts who've played 20+ games this season, Skinner has the 12th highest cost per point. Lucas Wallmark has the 3rd lowest cost per point in that group.

Considering all players on all types of contracts, Svech has the 2d lowest cost per point. Petterson is #1. Wallmark, Necas and Foegle are 19th, 25th and 28th, respectively. That's pretty good value.

To be fair, Svech, Necas and Foegele are still on their entry contracts (Petterson too) and Wallmark is playing for the NHL minimum.

To be fair, Svech, Necas and Foegele are still on their entry contracts (Petterson too) and Wallmark is playing for the NHL minimum.

Sure, but Capfriendly lists over 100 forwards on entry-level deals. The Canes have 3 guys in the top 20 of that list. That far beats the mean of simply having 3-4 players just somewhere on that list. As far as Wallmark goes, the fact that he is making league minimum is exactly the point. He's on a very cheap SPC and is producing.

Sure, but Capfriendly lists over 100 forwards on entry-level deals. The Canes have 3 guys in the top 20 of that list. That far beats the mean of simply having 3-4 players just somewhere on that list. As far as Wallmark goes, the fact that he is making league minimum is exactly the point. He's on a very cheap SPC and is producing.

Wallmark and Foegele probably won’t be making that list next year, unless their production increases commensurately with their salaries. Although Foegele isn’t arbitration eligible yet and could be renewed for cheap.

Making a bad season worse, San Jose has lost 2nd leading scorer Tomas Hertl for the season with a torn ACL and MCL

Some blogger says that Seattle has chosen a name for its team, and its The Kraken. NHL Seattle essentially Glomar'd it. (link) For those of you who just ejected milk from your nose, The Kraken is actually a name that NHL Seattle has been considering. I have no idea why, but they are considering it. It does seem that the team has chosen a name but hasn't announced it while they run the trademark issues to ground.

I guess they could do worse than Kraken, but that's just a guess. I really don't see how you would have a problem with your fans being called Krakheads and your venue being called the Krakhouse.

As someone somewhere else pointed out to me: large sea creature, green team colors? How long before they move to North Carolina? HA! Funny. The Charlotte Floodzones?

The Kraken is a team name you flirt with to make the internet lose its mind, and then you choose a sensible name. I just hope they choose some different colors and don't go with the boring old black/red combo that has been speculated.

The Kraken is a team name you flirt with to make the internet lose its mind, and then you choose a sensible name. I just hope they choose some different colors and don't go with the boring old black/red combo that has been speculated.

I wouldn't be surprised if they threw some Microsoft green in there, like the Seahawks and Sounders.

I wouldn't be surprised if they threw some Microsoft green in there, like the Seahawks and Sounders.
Fine with me ... but not if it's an accent on a red sweater. God save us from THAT. If it was me, I'd like to see some pastels mixed into a black primary or just go with Supersonics colors from the old days. But yeah ... a version of the Seahawks colorway would be good, even if they replace the blue with black. Either break the mold or stick to what works.

Fine with me ... but not if it's an accent on a red sweater. God save us from THAT. If it was me, I'd like to see some pastels mixed into a black primary or just go with Supersonics colors from the old days. But yeah ... a version of the Seahawks colorway would be good, even if they replace the blue with black. Either break the mold or stick to what works.

The Seattle Thunderbirds in the WHL use the same basic color scheme as the Mariners, navy blue, green and white. The Mariners call it Northwest green. It’s basically the same as the Canucks primary colors.

Yeah ... and I like the T-Birds' unis. They're sharp. I figure if the Canucks are sticking with their current color scheme, which is never a given with that lot, then darken up the blue, lighten up the green and roll out something close to what the Seahawks wear. Not the neon version of course. God save us from THAT.

Right now, I'd wager on bargain bin black and red with some sort of stylized Native American inspired logo.

Columbus signs Nathan Gerbe to a 2 year, 2 way extension. He’ll get $750k in the NHL and $500k in the AHL each year.

I mean ... the little guy has played really well for them. Good on him.

The NHL salary is the minimum starting next year. But $500k to play in the AHL? Good for him, he beats the hell out of traipsing around Europe, looking for a spot.

Ulf Samuelsson has left Seattle to take over as head coach at Leksands in the Swedish League, where he played before joining the Whalers and where his son Phillip plays. They’re in last place with 14 games to go and are fighting to avoid relegation. He could still return to Seattle depending on what happens in Sweden next season.

Frank Seravalli reports the Jets and Byfuglien are working toward a mutual contract termination over the next several days. That would free up hiss cap space for the Jets and make him an inter stricter free agent.

Back