• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-Whenever Misc. Grab Bag Thread

Oklahoma, Texas and the Big 12 have reached an exit agreement that would allow OU and UT to move to the SEC 1 year early, in 2024. But ESPN and Fox aren’t happy, so the deal isn’t done yet. Because the Power 5 have sold their souls for billions of dollars from the media.

FTFY

New Mexico State University is shutting down the men’s basketball team for the season amid hazing allegations. A member of the team field a report with campus police citing 3 players and 3 offenses; one count of false imprisonment, one count of harassment and two counts of criminal sexual contact and that the incidents had been occurring since last summer.

There was also a NMSU player involved in a gunfight on the New Mexico campus last month. Seems like a super stable group of guys.

Warner Brothers Discovery is shutting down its RSN business. Affected teams have until March 31 to buy their rights back before WBD files for a Chapter 7 liquidation. There are 3 NHL teams affected; Seattle, Pittsburgh and Vegas.

edit: an article on the Wall Street Journal website says the regional network that WBD has a minority stake in a RSN controlled by the Seattle Mariners and isn’t part of this proceeding. So the Kraken are also safe.

Last edited:
Got a text from my brother that the last original member of Lynyrd Skynyrd, Gary Rossington has passed (age 71). My bro didn't mention causes and I'm too slack at the moment to look it up.

...and just like that they are all gone.

Lynyrd Skynyrd was the headliner for the first concert I ever went to (Fall of 1974 at Dorton Arena). I hadn't planned on going, but talked to a buddy of mine at school and we decided to go together. That was the days of festival seating and we got there early & ended up center stage second row in folding chairs. It was a blast and probably more fun than a 13 year old should have had. Thanks for the music, Gary! It was one helluva ride!

Jim

He had a bum ticker so that may be what did him.

I don't know if Gary was the one responsible for the unique Skynyrd guitar sound, but I sure did love it.

He had a bum ticker so that may be what did him.

I don't know if Gary was the one responsible for the unique Skynyrd guitar sound, but I sure did love it.
Depends on what you mean by the Skynyrd sound, really. Ed King contributed their most distinctive, recognizable guitar playing on the early records and then Steve Gaines on the late ones, but Allen Collins and Rossington kind of shared a brain and their doubled up stuff was amazing.

Also, Gary almost died so many times that it's kind of hard to imagine him actually kicking the bucket. He was sort of a redneck Keith Richards in that way, with extra crashing.

Depends on what you mean by the Skynyrd sound, really. Ed King contributed their most distinctive, recognizable guitar playing on the early records and then Steve Gaines on the late ones, but Allen Collins and Rossington kind of shared a brain and their doubled up stuff was amazing.

Also, Gary almost died so many times that it's kind of hard to imagine him actually kicking the bucket. He was sort of a redneck Keith Richards in that way, with extra crashing.
Gary could play the shit out of a slide and was responsible for writing numerous songs many of us know all the words to. He was definitely a cut up and he lived the rock & roll lifestyle like he meant it back in the day. He was good friends with a guy I knew who also lived the rock & roll lifestyle a bit too hard and it caught up with him sooner. It seemed that Gary was older than 71, but I was actually kinda surprised he made it that long.

It was too bad that Steve and Cassie Gaines died in the plane crash that also took Ronnie Van Zant. Steve added a needed breath of fresh air to the Street Survivors & One More From the Road albums. I still enjoy their sound. Glad and thankful top have the music they left behind.

Jim

Damn, the Bears took the Panthers to the cleaners
Probably, yes. On the other hand, given how important an actual good QB is in the NFL, if this works out and the Panther draft a franchise QB then nobody will complain about the cost. The way things are going in the NFL right now, a quality QB is even more rare than an NHL goalie who can be legitimately good two seasons in a row.

All that said ... this seems dumb. We'll see how it works in the long run

Most of the picks the panthers gave up they’ve been trying to shed to get a qb for 2 years and they came from trades where they did the fleecing. It’s a high cost but they have to get a franchise qb and using those 4 picks on other position players leaves them where they’ve been since Newton. I have no issue with the trade, but they can’t whiff on the qb or his development.

Back