• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-Whenever Misc. Grab Bag Thread

Wish I could recall the feeling!
Not likely to happen with Ol’ One & Done at State for god knows how many more years.
I thought that’s how it was going to be for my 1985 Villanova Wildcats. Then the run to the 2009 Final Four got my hopes up. But a few more years of darkness, some first weekend exits and all of a sudden, it was 2016. And then 2018. But now, without Jay Wright? Who knows.

Will have to settle for 2 out of 3 today as the UCONN Women's 14 consecutive Final 4s streak comes to an end. UCONN Men looking completely dominant the past 2 games to cruise to the Final 4. I didn't see that coming

Just throwing this out there for folks in here that have a better understanding of the state legislature. I was reading this morning that the sports gambling bill being voted on in the next couple of days is once again getting far too much push back from opponents...is this thing going to make it through or is it going to get derailed two years straight? They made it sound over the past few months it had enough votes to make it through...

Just throwing this out there for folks in here that have a better understanding of the state legislature. I was reading this morning that the sports gambling bill being voted on in the next couple of days is once again getting far too much push back from opponents...is this thing going to make it through or is it going to get derailed two years straight? They made it sound over the past few months it had enough votes to make it through...
A good friend of mine is the caucus director for the GOP in the state House. (Yes, we have very different political views!) He told me the bill should pass the House this afternoon, but is unsure when the Senate will act on it.

Yeah, from what my people are telling me (let's not get into details ... it's a can of worms), the Senate is VERY much getting lobbied by gambling opponents from both political spectrums. The business minded moderates in both Parties see it as a no brainer and an obvious non-income based tax revenue, but ... yeah, it's just not that easy.

Yeah, from what my people are telling me (let's not get into details ... it's a can of worms), the Senate is VERY much getting lobbied by gambling opponents from both political spectrums. The business minded moderates in both Parties see it as a no brainer and an obvious non-income based tax revenue, but ... yeah, it's just not that easy.
It was an odd coalition that killed it last time, essentially the extremes in each party. Let’s see what happens.

Sounds like they at least raised the wagering revenue tax rate from a too low 8% to 14% in the latest bill. That is 1% lower than Virginia's 15% tax rate. Tennessee's is 20%. It was kind of crazy to propose a sports betting bill last year with such a low tax rate on the industry.

As for passing or not, well, yeah, we will see. Seems like the Lottery all over again.

Last edited:
And keep in mind that the math on the right is a little different now. The evangelicals are less locked in with the populists and less willing to hold their nose on an issue like gambling. Plus they already feel like they "lost" on medical marijuana. It's not a great environment for consensus building in the GOP at the moment, which keeps that opposing crowd on the right pretty resolute. Make no mistake though ... the populists and pro-biz conservatives are behind sports betting 100% and combined with the revenue minded lefties, that's a substantial coalition. This is not an issue that's going to go away.

Looks like the bill passed the House today and should be headed to the Senate for a vote! Lobbyists tried to take college sports out of the equation to no avail. Hopefully this thing gets passed soon! The Canes can only benefit from getting this done.

LOL ... have you got any idea just how stupid it is to try to carve out college sports because the athletes are amateurs ... when they were ALWAYS getting compensation. And now some of it is paid in straight up legal cash. It's just such a stupid argument.

Looks like the bill passed the House today and should be headed to the Senate for a vote! Lobbyists tried to take college sports out of the equation to no avail. Hopefully this thing gets passed soon! The Canes can only benefit from getting this done.
One more House vote today. The 2nd vote is where it failed last time. But the first vote passed big, 66-45

You know what else passed, overriding the governor’s veto— the requirement to have a permit to purchase a pistol. I am full of opinions and thoughts on this…

You know what else passed, overriding the governor’s veto— the requirement to have a permit to purchase a pistol. I am full of opinions and thoughts on this…
Yes, you can buy one, but still need a concealed carry permit to basically wear one or transport it in a car.

I promise many who carry don't give a flip about needing a permit to do it. Just sad news.

Jim
I used to shoot rim fire bench rest and pop up target matches at wake county. I also did some pistol and at the time had a concealed. I knew several of the police that shot with us and asked them how to move a pistol without a concealed. One said the pistol had to be visible, on your dash for example. Another said as long as the ammo and pistol are separated such as pistol in glove box and ammo in trunk. What about an suv where there is no trunk? What about leaving the pistol in the vehicle while you ate, shopped, etc? The pistol had to be visible on the dash or seat. What about from the car to home or into the range? Pistol must be visible.

Back