• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-Whenever Misc. Grab Bag Thread

Last time we were there, the waiter asked us if we knew who owned them. So I answered and told him we loved Vivace and Coquette and Chow was about 2 miles from our house. Got primo service the rest of the night and he walked out with a primo tip.
We’d go with 8-10 people, all from landfill.
i introduced the to moules with butter and garlic. Yum.
It was good French cuisine.

We’d go with 8-10 people, all from landfill.
i introduced the to moules with butter and garlic. Yum.
It was good French cuisine.
For you cretins, moules is the French word for mussels. A little crusty bread for dipping. It will change your life. ;)

If you live in Cary or want to leave North Raleigh without feeling like you've left North Raleigh, check out the nice new things opening in downtown Cary. Di Fara Pizza, Hank's, Scratch, Pizzeria Faulisi, Pro's Epicurean, Crosstown Pub, plus the old standbys like Taipei 101, Academy Street Bistro, Bosphorus, and Kabashish Cafe. Plus several breweries and other drinking establishments. The renovated downtown movie theater shows a lot of indy and classic stuff. Just don't mind the high rise construction that will be going on for the next 5 or so years.
Despite the higher than normal prices for pizza, Di Fara is by far the best pizza in the area. The owners grandfather was the original owner of the legendary Di Fara Pizza in Brooklyn that for decades was known as one of the top pizzerias in all of New York. “One bite…everyone knows the rules”!

Despite the higher than normal prices for pizza, Di Fara is by far the best pizza in the area. The owners grandfather was the original owner of the legendary Di Fara Pizza in Brooklyn that for decades was known as one of the top pizzerias in all of New York. “One bite…everyone knows the rules”!

Dude, I wanted to hate that place so much. "We import our water from NYC!!" Meh, that doesn't matter in any way at all. Then there's the price. Sheesh! Then I tried some of their pizza. That is a damn good pizza and is worth the money. Great beers on tap as well.

Have you tried Hank's yet? It's in the same little strip mall thingy as Di Fara. I love their small plates.

Try Pizzeria Mercato in Carrboro. My wife and I have reservations there for Friday night; we thought it was outstanding on our first trip there a few months ago.

Given the ownership group it's pricier than its predecessors, but within reason (IMO).
Prolly because it will be run by actual professionals who make sure their staff get paid. I get that Crowley's was popular with inside the beltline people of a certain type, but it was never competently managed. Location is everything, baby.

Try Pizzeria Mercato in Carrboro. My wife and I have reservations there for Friday night; we thought it was outstanding on our first trip there a few months ago.
It feels like a long way to go for pizza. But IIRC, the dough recipe was developed by James Beard winning pastry chef, the late Karen Barker of Magnolia Grill, whose son owns Mercato.

It feels like a long way to go for pizza. But IIRC, the dough recipe was developed by James Beard winning pastry chef, the late Karen Barker of Magnolia Grill, whose son owns Mercato.
Yeah, that dough is Karen Barker's lasting gift to her son and to pizza lovers.

For all you foodies out there... the former Crowley's Edwards Mill, then Edwards Mill Bar & Grill, then some short-lived Mexican food place, has FINALLY reopened as The Mill, operated by the Urban Food Group, who had Porter's and Frazier's on Hillsborough, and currently Vivace in North Hills, among others. We went there tonight and the makeover is very impressive. The bar area is the same space but significantly upgraded in decor and the restaurant is completely revamped and greatly improved. The menu at this point is a bit limited which is a reflection on sensible launch management, but what we had was excellent. Given the ownership group it's pricier than its predecessors, but within reason (IMO). They also upgraded the patio for outdoor dining, on spectacular evenings like tonight. I think Jeff O'Neill would find it acceptable, given the amount of time he spent there. (Not that anyone on this board cares about his opinion any more.)
Oh, lord, a friend nearly killed MY liver there after one of his breakups. Probably 7 years before the Canes got here. Pretty sure we could have told O 'Hold my beer. And this one. And this one' since we were young then.

The original Crowley's was one of my buds' haunts in the 80s before many of them moved away. Their black and tans had some pain go on in my head.

If you live in Cary or want to leave North Raleigh without feeling like you've left North Raleigh, check out the nice new things opening in downtown Cary. Di Fara Pizza, Hank's, Scratch, Pizzeria Faulisi, Pro's Epicurean, Crosstown Pub, plus the old standbys like Taipei 101, Academy Street Bistro, Bosphorus, and Kabashish Cafe. Plus several breweries and other drinking establishments. The renovated downtown movie theater shows a lot of indy and classic stuff. Just don't mind the high rise construction that will be going on for the next 5 or so years.
Mon Macaron is also opening in Cary some time this year. So says a little bird I know well who works at the one near Logan's.

Dude, I wanted to hate that place so much. "We import our water from NYC!!" Meh, that doesn't matter in any way at all. Then there's the price. Sheesh! Then I tried some of their pizza. That is a damn good pizza and is worth the money. Great beers on tap as well.

Have you tried Hank's yet? It's in the same little strip mall thingy as Di Fara. I love their small plates.
I did have a friend that was pretty impressed with Hank's...apparently his menu is always changing from week to week but I need to get in there and try it for sure!

I saw that The Mill took reservations but when I went to the site, no menu and no real info. Good to have that as a new option.

Also missing Sawmill Taproom on Sawmill and Leadmine— waiting to see what chain lands in that spot.

I saw that The Mill took reservations but when I went to the site, no menu and no real info. Good to have that as a new option.

Also missing Sawmill Taproom on Sawmill and Leadmine— waiting to see what chain lands in that spot.
Urban Food Group restaurants use the Resy app. The Mill is on that site.

We moved to Raleigh in 1992 and I think Sawmill Tap Room was the 6th or 7th restaurant in that building. All the “Tap Rooms”…Sawmill, Leesville, Village, Bass Lake Draft House…were owned by a local group. They used to be packed but the last few years, even before Covid, they were less crowded. Prices went up a lot too. We were in Sawmill a few months ago and the place looked run down. Carpet needed cleaning, benches had cracked upholsetrry, etc. But they were OK for a quick plate of nachos and a beer. I’m not sure what chain can make a go of that site or what’s missing from that area of North Raleigh. Applebees bugged out from that neighborhood a few years ago and corporate parent IHOP rebranded the building at the corner of Sawmill and Six Forks. Gonza Tacos y Tequila has a stranglehold on that cuisine, Kai Sushi is also in that strip. Pizza? There used to be a pizza place in that strip but the owners decamped to Brier Creek years ago. Chilis? There is one on Glenwood in front of Walmart and another in Brier Creek.

Sawmill lost their lease and the ownership chose not to renew, forcing them out. There has been a huge effort at giving the area a huge facelift with new signage and updates. I’m not so sure whether a chain will go in there, but that tends to happen when places get forced out. We often stopped at Sawmill for a quick bite and it always had decent traffic. Like many restaurants, Covid had an impact.

Sawmill lost their lease and the ownership chose not to renew, forcing them out. There has been a huge effort at giving the area a huge facelift with new signage and updates. I’m not so sure whether a chain will go in there, but that tends to happen when places get forced out. We often stopped at Sawmill for a quick bite and it always had decent traffic. Like many restaurants, Covid had an impact.
There is only so much they can do in that strip. They tried fine dining and it failed, both in the Sawmill building and the space that Gonza’s is in now. Gonza’s is a huge success story and Two Roosters and Bottle Revolution always have decent crowds. But it’s not a high traffic intersection, certainly compared to Creedmoor and Six Forks. I think the leaseholders might end up disappointed.

The Oakland A’s are moving to Las Vegas. They signed a binding agreement to buy a 49 acre parcel near the strip, where they intend to build a 35,000 seat stadium with a partially retractable roof. They hope to be able to move in by the 2027 season. They’ve been looking for a new stadium for years, the Oakland Coliseum was renovated to bring the Raiders back but the changes made large swaths of seats unsuitable for baseball.

Their lease at the Coliseum expires after next season. Negotiations on a short term extension should be…interesting. The A’s AAA team is in Las Vegas, but their stadium only seats 10,000.

Today, April 21st is a special day for me. It is the 16th anniversary of the vehicle collision I was in that came close to killing me. It changed my life forever in both good and bad ways. I had to relearn how to do a lot of things and some things never will come back. It also ended my hockey playing days. The main thing it taught me is how thankful I am for the people around me. I appreciate the members here for their well wishes and tolerance as I was recovering. I'm thankful for the members of this community, this board definitely makes my life better, and I appreciate all for the kindness & support. It's good to still be on this side of the dirt.

Jim

Back