• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-Whenever Misc. Grab Bag Thread

Today, April 21st is a special day for me. It is the 16th anniversary of the vehicle collision I was in that came close to killing me. It changed my life forever in both good and bad ways. I had to relearn how to do a lot of things and some things never will come back. It also ended my hockey playing days. The main thing it taught me is how thankful I am for the people around me. I appreciate the members here for their well wishes and tolerance as I was recovering. I'm thankful for the members of this community, this board definitely makes my life better, and I appreciate all for the kindness & support. It's good to still be on this side of the dirt.

Jim
I think of you sometimes when my wife can't deal with noise and lights due to her brain surgery. Same year, I think. 2007?
Can't be too easy a thing with all the stimuli in everyday life.

For all you football fans. Chelsea and Wrexham to play in Chapel Hill on July 19th in the FC Series
If you want to spend a lot less money and still watch an excellent soccer product, check out the NC Courage's home schedule. We went to see them play the Pride in Orlando while we were in Florida this week ... maybe $100 total including parking, tickets and snacks/drinks for two. They're in a roster rebuild phase so they probably won't be contenders or anything, but it's a lively young squad that plays entertaining soccer.

Or go spend 3 times that much to see an exhibition. No judgement.

Today, April 21st is a special day for me. It is the 16th anniversary of the vehicle collision I was in that came close to killing me. It changed my life forever in both good and bad ways. I had to relearn how to do a lot of things and some things never will come back. It also ended my hockey playing days. The main thing it taught me is how thankful I am for the people around me. I appreciate the members here for their well wishes and tolerance as I was recovering. I'm thankful for the members of this community, this board definitely makes my life better, and I appreciate all for the kindness & support. It's good to still be on this side of the dirt.

Jim
God Bless you Jim, one of the nicest guys you’ll ever meet folks, when they say about people willing to give you the shirt off his back for you that is who Jim is! You’re warrior my friend!

Jim
We're all thankful to continue to share open hearted conversations with you Jim. You're one of the people that make this place tick.

Thanks. You're all why I keep coming back. Plus, where the [Polar's word] else would I go, the stinking Blue Jacket's board? I'm not desperate enough to be a Leafs fan, and I have more sense than to be a Philly fan. Raymond would never speak to me again if I started backing the Habs. So, it looks like you're stuck with me....sometimes traumatic brain injuries allow you to get away with stuff too. in jest, of course. It takes all fans to drive the NHL.

Jim

If you want to spend a lot less money and still watch an excellent soccer product, check out the NC Courage's home schedule. We went to see them play the Pride in Orlando while we were in Florida this week ... maybe $100 total including parking, tickets and snacks/drinks for two. They're in a roster rebuild phase so they probably won't be contenders or anything, but it's a lively young squad that plays entertaining soccer.

Or go spend 3 times that much to see an exhibition. No judgement.
Sounds like passive aggressive judgement to me. I like what I like. I go to Courage games all the time, I will enjoy both. 🤣 A portion of the proceeds are going to charity, so that’s good too.

Last edited:
Sounds like passive aggressive judgement to me. I like what I like. I go to Courage games all the time, I will enjoy both. 🤣 A portion of the proceeds are going to charity, so that’s good too.
I'm NEVER about telling people what to do ... only pointing out when there's good value for your sporting bucks. Euro club teams playing exhibitions in the States are NEVER a good value for money and they always try to take the edge off of it with some sort of charitable tie-in. That said, I'll go see my own team play if it's logistically convenient ... but I ain't shelling out for freaking Chelsea.

I'm NEVER about telling people what to do ... only pointing out when there's good value for your sporting bucks. Euro club teams playing exhibitions in the States are NEVER a good value for money and they always try to take the edge off of it with some sort of charitable tie-in. That said, I'll go see my own team play if it's logistically convenient ... but I ain't shelling out for freaking Chelsea.
I’m going with a photo credential so it’ll be free for me. But I get your point. I’m not a Chelsea fan either but I’ve grown fond of the whole Wrexham thing because of the tv show. I’ve become a fan and follow them quite regularly.

I’m going with a photo credential so it’ll be free for me. But I get your point. I’m not a Chelsea fan either but I’ve grown fond of the whole Wrexham thing because of the tv show. I’ve become a fan and follow them quite regularly.
Them I’m sure you saw the unbridled joy at the Racecourse Ground on Saturday. Ryan Reynolds and Ron McElhenny will have the Hollywood ending for season 2 that they didn’t get last season.

Them I’m sure you saw the unbridled joy at the Racecourse Ground on Saturday. Ryan Reynolds and Ron McElhenny will have the Hollywood ending for season 2 that they didn’t get last season.

Yea, it was fun to watch. The way they beat Notts County last week was pretty amazing.

I haven’t listened to The Fan in forever, basically since I started working from hone 3 years ago. But I saw a tweet that today was Joe Ovies’ and Joe Giglio’s last show?

Cancelled is one thing but terminated?
I get to work with both Joe’s some during college football and basketball. I like both of them. Don’t always agree with them, but they’re good dudes. I remember listening to Joe when he was an intern on Gold’s show back on 850. When the sports pig was still around

I get to work with both Joe’s some during college football and basketball. I like both of them. Don’t always agree with them, but they’re good dudes. I remember listening to Joe when he was an intern on Gold’s show back on 850. When the sports pig was still around
I thought Ovies was useless. I was looking forward to hearing Giglio but they started 2 weeks before my company sent me home to work. Even though they streamed, I never tuned in.

99.9 has been irrelevant to me for years. Never liked any of the on air staff. Only ever listened to catch Canes games before I got XM.

I give credit to Joe and Joe for making the Canes a regular talking point daily for years on that station…I understand that’s the flagship station for the team but hopefully this new “fast-moving “format still includes lots of Canes hockey coverage. Like them or not, that’s a shitty way to end a show and two great employees tenure in the middle of a week with no warning to them or the listeners…there are better ways to treat people, and save me the “we live in a corporate world” garbage.

Yeah ... I got to know Ovies a bit back in the 00s and he's a good guy. The schtick he fell into on the radio annoyed a lot of people, but he's solid. From what I can tell, those guys got zero advanced notice and were offered zero alternatives at the company. I get that locally focused sports is becoming less and less profitable for these outlets, but holy crap you can always choose to offer people a little dignity. For Giglio this is the second time he's had the rug pulled out from under him, since he lost his gig at the NandO when they decided they could pay Chip Alexander basically freelance wages to cover the both the Canes and NC State ... which he obviously hasn't done and can't do well, because no one possibly could.

Yeah ... I got to know Ovies a bit back in the 00s and he's a good guy. The schtick he fell into on the radio annoyed a lot of people, but he's solid. From what I can tell, those guys got zero advanced notice and were offered zero alternatives at the company. I get that locally focused sports is becoming less and less profitable for these outlets, but holy crap you can always choose to offer people a little dignity. For Giglio this is the second time he's had the rug pulled out from under him, since he lost his gig at the NandO when they decided they could pay Chip Alexander basically freelance wages to cover the both the Canes and NC State ... which he obviously hasn't done and can't do well, because no one possibly could.

I found his show to by annoying at times.....seemed to get worse as it went along, but regardless I like both of them on a personal level. I did some digging and there is more to the situation then will come out and its not my place to spread rumors, I will leave that to twitterheads.

Back