• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-Whenever Misc. Grab Bag Thread

I found his show to by annoying at times.....seemed to get worse as it went along, but regardless I like both of them on a personal level. I did some digging and there is more to the situation then will come out and its not my place to spread rumors, I will leave that to twitterheads.
you tell me and I'll post it on twitter. ;)

For real though, hope it's nothing too serious.

Does this make the Sports Shop the only local show now? I listen to that from time to time when I'm in the car and not listening to 2 Guys Named Chris.

I found his show to by annoying at times.....seemed to get worse as it went along, but regardless I like both of them on a personal level. I did some digging and there is more to the situation then will come out and its not my place to spread rumors, I will leave that to twitterheads.
Yeah, I wasn't a big fan of the schtick but the concept was one I could support. You know, a Triangle based show concentrating primarily on Triangle based sports. But 'tis a new day for sports broadcasting and I understand that. Now you're either getting national stuff (primarily NFL and big event driven) or specialized, smaller scope shows. It's fine. There's a reason local stations can't get ad revenues and it's got more to do with the changing market than what they're offering. Like local/regional print press and regional sports networks, it's just not profitable anymore. I had to quote Mike Manfred, but he wasn't wrong when he saiid that the old broadcast model for MLB was "great, so long as we could get people who didn't care about our product to subsidize coverage in order to get the things they do care about." People just don't have to do that anymore.

Heck, I'm old enough to remember when "sports radio" in the Raleigh market boiled down to actual game broadcasts, a score recap show on the weekend, the weekly coaches' shows and maybe one or two hours of nighttime phone-in. That was it man. The freaking farm report got more air time.

I hate to see so much of sports coverage now is all about spreads, and gambling stuff. Maybe that market is WAY bugger and more important than I know, but it doesn't interest me.

Yeah, I wasn't a big fan of the schtick but the concept was one I could support. You know, a Triangle based show concentrating primarily on Triangle based sports. But 'tis a new day for sports broadcasting and I understand that. Now you're either getting national stuff (primarily NFL and big event driven) or specialized, smaller scope shows. It's fine. There's a reason local stations can't get ad revenues and it's got more to do with the changing market than what they're offering. Like local/regional print press and regional sports networks, it's just not profitable anymore. I had to quote Mike Manfred, but he wasn't wrong when he saiid that the old broadcast model for MLB was "great, so long as we could get people who didn't care about our product to subsidize coverage in order to get the things they do care about." People just don't have to do that anymore.

Heck, I'm old enough to remember when "sports radio" in the Raleigh market boiled down to actual game broadcasts, a score recap show on the weekend, the weekly coaches' shows and maybe one or two hours of nighttime phone-in. That was it man. The freaking farm report got more air time.
now you’re making me nostalgic mentioning the farm report. I do remember that. Good times.

I hate to see so much of sports coverage now is all about spreads, and gambling stuff. Maybe that market is WAY bugger and more important than I know, but it doesn't interest me.
💯

I have zero interest in the gambling 📐 on everything. It’s kind of ruining a lot of things in my opinion. I don’t care if people want to gamble but I don’t want to see spreads and odds and fantasy angles on everything.

Last time I checked, this RDU market overall is getting quite a bit larger, not smaller...I find it hard to believe that there is not enough local interest in sports in this area to still not have a regular daily sports talk radio show. Maybe Kurtzie with his radio background can speak to this better, but just going National syndicated programming where they always seem to talk NBA and NFL and never much else seems short sighted. Maybe I'm too old school, but there is nothing better than local teams doing well and wanting more information and content to continue that excitement and interest...

The comments here about local sports talk radio not being economically viable are misguided; don't equate what's going on with the television RSNs with local sports talk radio. Sports is one of the few bright spots in radio these days, as it's not nearly as impacted by competition from other platforms (i.e. Spotify for music consumption) as other segments of the business are.

There are radio stations with local sports content in markets much smaller than the Triangle that are making a lot of money.

On the gambling issue, I am with many of the commenters here about not wanting to listen to much of that content. I will tell you, however, that my company's research with sports radio listeners (which we do a lot of) reveals that we are in the minority.

I guess I wasn't in Ovies' demographic...not down with the video games & star wars fanboy stuff...forget about rap music, I don't find it pleasing to listen to. I remember when Joe was in college on KNC before he got hired on at WRBZ. I exercise in the afternoons when the O-G show was on, so I listened because they were the only local sports show. It seems kind of odd referring to them in the past tense. I guess everything has a shelf life.

Not looking forward to getting a national radio show where they're pretty clueless/ don't care about the NHL. ESPN only ever seems to report on hockey milestones, exceptionally high scoring games, or whenever something bad happens & not much else. [Polar's word] 'em.

Jim

How much are June pork bellies?
It's NC, man ... we only got whole hog prices. They got butchered somewhere else. From what little I remember of the farm report it was mostly corn and soybeans with hogs and poultry as an afterthought. Tobacco was a closed market so they never talked much about that unless the yield was bad that year due to drought or whatever. Things have sure changed because a current market report would focus mostly on turkeys, chickens and hogs.

It's NC, man ... we only got whole hog prices. They got butchered somewhere else. From what little I remember of the farm report it was mostly corn and soybeans with hogs and poultry as an afterthought. Tobacco was a closed market so they never talked much about that unless the yield was bad that year due to drought or whatever. Things have sure changed because a current market report would focus mostly on turkeys, chickens and hogs.
There are hog processing plants here. I worked in one in college.

There are hog processing plants here. I worked in one in college.
Yeah, some ... but not like the real processing hubs. And we've got a lot more now than we did when I was a kid and hog farming was like a quarter the size industry that it is now. The boom didn't hit until well after PTF stopped dedicating half the morning drive time to the farm report like they did when I was little.

Yeah, some ... but not like the real processing hubs. And we've got a lot more now than we did when I was a kid and hog farming was like a quarter the size industry that it is now. The boom didn't hit until well after PTF stopped dedicating half the morning drive time to the farm report like they did when I was little.

Well, to be fair, when you were a kid, hogs were a fairly new species.

🏃‍♂️

It’s a blur. It was long ago. Farm Reports in central Illinois became Farm Reports in NC. I figured corn futures was there so went with Pork bellies. Coulda gone whole hog. Woulda worked for there and here.

It’s sad about the 2Joes. I used to listen to Gold and Ovies on my afternoon commutes from RTP. They were not my favorites as I could never get into the geek boy stuff- Star Wars, video games, Takis and other junk food, tennis shoes/kicks— but they at least did cover hockey. Nonetheless, they were what I listened to before I got Sirius. Only real local FM station I listen to is WUNC and that’s for National Public Radio…

I remember Ray Wilkinson doing the farm report on WRAL. Bob DeBardalaben handled weather back then and backed up the farm report if Ray was out.

As a kid, I played tennis ball baseball in Bob D's (the biggest name in weather) front yard with his sons and other local kids. One of the neighbor kids, Andy Green, couldn't play (he was mentally challenged and in special ed classes) so we made him full time umpire and you could count on him throwing at least one player out of the game...the power went to his head. The WRAL sports guy was Nick Pond back then, when Tom Suiter was still in training. Dang, that was 50 some years ago. Good times! I'd love to be back there again, but it sure is fun to think about.

Jim

Back