• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-Whenever Misc. Grab Bag Thread

I don't post much anymore but must say it was a crappy how the did Joe and Joe. I listen to the 99.9 in the car and don't know if they said something to make this happen or not but still seem wrong. Timing seem like a rash decision. Having said that, if you listened to sports radio down here as long as I have (i know some here much longer) since 1996, you need new voices. Adam is great but we all know his takes and same with Joe O. There is really nothing wrong with that but we are stuck with them and they are stuck with the same things to talk about a lot. I am sure if Bo and Glenn stayed 10 years it would be the same and I look at them as the top talent that worked here. It great to see someone likeShannon Penn make it to the top of producing sports radio too. But in this industry, it seems you need to find new talent often. I thank both Joe's for their time because I don't take things seriously and enjoyed their entertainment. There is only so much you can do day in and day out with the same material.

Maybe I am showing my age a bit, but as a kid growing up in Canada, I loved my transistor radio at night listening to games and sports talk radio under the pillow at night long after my parents said get to bed! Mostly hockey and baseball for me on the radio but that was some mighty fond memories growing up as a kid and a huge sports fan. Once I was old enough to pick up the phone and wait on hold, I loved the sports call in shows on radio to speak my peace after a big game or win...or loss. "Long-time listener, first time caller" :)

Listening to Boston fans freak out over every minor setback during the season (any sport) is one of my favorite hobbies.

Maybe I am showing my age a bit, but as a kid growing up in Canada, I loved my transistor radio at night listening to games and sports talk radio under the pillow at night long after my parents said get to bed! Mostly hockey and baseball for me on the radio but that was some mighty fond memories growing up as a kid and a huge sports fan. Once I was old enough to pick up the phone and wait on hold, I loved the sports call in shows on radio to speak my peace after a big game or win...or loss. "Long-time listener, first time caller" :)
Me too ... but I'm even older because for me it was just games. There was next to no sports talk radio and honestly, that was probably a good thing. I don't think that industry has had a healthy impact on sports culture.

Yup, I can still see the near-bookbag-sized AM/FM/Weather radio hanging by its strap handle (LOL) on my bedpost, listening to games as I went to bed, and eventually fell asleep, as a kid... Muskegon Mohawks (IHL) games in the hockey season, Detroit Tigers in the summer. Good times. Simpler times.

Last edited:
I remember riding down the road on my bike in eastern Ohio and not missing a play of the Pirates game because all the dads had the game on the radio in their garage “Six-four-three and the Bucs retire the side”

Later on in Normal, IL, I also remember listening to Harry Carey doing the Cardinals games on the radio every night. Yes I said Cardinals. Won tickets to a game in the Bullpen Room in the old Busch Stadium on WJBC by being the 5th caller.

Later on in Normal, IL,
Hey! I lived in Normal for a time. A few years in the '90s, right before I moved down here. A friend of mine up there grew up in Raleigh and said, "I'm moving back home," and I said, "I'm coming with you." That was in '95

Last edited:
Hey! I lived in Normal for a time. A few years in the '90s, right before I moved down here. A friend of mine up there grew up in Raleigh and said, "I've moving back home," and I said, "I'm coming with you." That was in '95
Is there an Abbie Normal, IL?

I remember riding down the road on my bike in eastern Ohio and not missing a play of the Pirates game because all the dads had the game on the radio in their garage “Six-four-three and the Bucs retire the side”

Later on in Normal, IL, I also remember listening to Harry Carey doing the Cardinals games on the radio every night. Yes I said Cardinals. Won tickets to a game in the Bullpen Room in the old Busch Stadium on WJBC by being the 5th caller.
We got KMOX down here on clear nights and I used to listen to Jack Buck doing Cards games in the summer. Carey left right around the time I got my own radio. Back then the Braves broadcasts were deadly dull other than waiting for Aaron to launch a bomb, but Buck was the best. We used to go down to Atlanta for a weekend series every year, but I've been a Cardinals fan ever since I got that little Sears transistor.

I still listen to my walkman radio every night. We're in sports wasteland for terrestrial radio, especially as a hockey first guy.

I remember listening to Gary Dornburg on WPTF sports line program around 7:00 at night with my dad. It was obviously ACC-centric and there was no shortage of homers, knuckleheads, & kooks, but welcome to dealing with the sports crazed public. Had to wonder how some callers had enough sense to dial a phone...wish I was kidding.

Jim

Yup, I can still see the near-bookbag-sized AM/FM/Weather radio hanging by its strap handle (LOL) on my bedpost, listening to games as I went to bed, and eventually fell asleep, as a kid... Muskegon Mohawks (IHL) games in the hockey season, Detroit Tigers in the summer. Good times. Simpler times.
You must have been tuned in Bill to the Tigers on WJR with Ernie Harwell and Paul Carey! Harwell was an American treasure.
I still get chills remembering the hockey radio broadcasts of the games called from the old Chicago Stadium…that place was the original loudest house in the NHL…the anthem had everyone rocking and the visiting team announcers would say, just try and survive the first ten minutes in this place…the goal horn, Wayne Mesmer on that huge organ…what a barn!

I still listen to my walkman radio every night. We're in sports wasteland for terrestrial radio, especially as a hockey first guy.

I remember listening to Gary Dornburg on WPTF sports line program around 7:00 at night with my dad. It was obviously ACC-centric and there was no shortage of homers, knuckleheads, & kooks, but welcome to dealing with the sports crazed public. Had to wonder how some callers had enough sense to dial a phone...wish I was kidding.

Jim
Dornburg was a big movie buff and I'd see him at Falls Twin on occasion when I worked there as a projectionist my last 2 years in school.

Had to wonder how some callers had enough sense to dial a phone...wish I was kidding.
Remember than one loon from Kings Mountain who called in to virtually every call-in show based in NC? Didn't matter the topic ... politics, sports, whatever ... brother was on it like stink on a skunk.

Back