• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-Whenever Misc. Grab Bag Thread

This has grab bag all over it; I'm probably late to the party (it happens), but I started watching The Beatles -Get Back documentary tonight and it is exceptionally good. One of my best friend's parents were huge Beatles fans, so I heard all those songs when they were new & throughout most of my life. All I can say is 1969 was a long time ago, but that band absolutely oozes talent. Definitely worth the watch if you're enjoy The Beatles and haven't seen it yet.

Jim

It

Is

WWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Too

Long

But otherwise terrific. Seriously, I know Peter Jackson is at the stage where he refuses to be edited by others but holy crap, you could easily cut that thing down to 4 hours and not miss a single meaningful conversation or event.

My wife and I absolutely LOVED Peter Jackson's documentary. Yes it was long, but for us aging Boomers it brought back so many good memories and we could have watched even more. I was struck by the fact that this seemed like it was happening right now despite the fact it was recorded over 50 years ago. My favorite moment: Watching Paul McCartney create the basic melody to "Get Back" seemingly right before our eyes.

I even kept the link to this excellent review: ‎‘The Beatles: Get Back’ review by Alan Sepinwall • Letterboxd

My wife and I absolutely LOVED Peter Jackson's documentary. Yes it was long, but for us aging Boomers it brought back so many good memories and we could have watched even more. I was struck by the fact that this seemed like it was happening right now despite the fact it was recorded over 50 years ago. My favorite moment: Watching Paul McCartney create the basic melody to "Get Back" seemingly right before our eyes.

I even kept the link to this excellent review: ‎‘The Beatles: Get Back’ review by Alan Sepinwall • Letterboxd
To be clear ... I'm not saying it was bad. I'm saying I got tired of watching Mal Evans fetch tea and look puzzled trying to write down placeholder lyrics for no reason. A few minutes of that would have been charming. We got a half hour ... maybe more.

I know one thing that Jackson absolutely nailed that nobody had the stones to show before ... Lennon's utter contempt for McCartney's unfinished pieces that all ended up being bloody brilliant. At that point he was just so done with Paul that he couldn't judge his work fairly, and that makes a lot of his public comments about Paul over the next 3-4 years feel a lot different.

Was it The Long and Winding Road that Paul was working on for his first solo album when it got yoinked by the rest of the Beatles and made into a Beatles song?

And if Peter Jackson is such a brilliant filmmaker, why didn't he do a Let It Be sessions documentary on The Replacements' Let It Be album? Coward! I know, I know, it would just be be 80 hours of the band getting hammered and Paul Westerberg taking it out on poor Bob Stinson

Was it The Long and Winding Road that Paul was working on for his first solo album when it got yoinked by the rest of the Beatles and made into a Beatles song?

And if Peter Jackson is such a brilliant filmmaker, why didn't he do a Let It Be sessions documentary on The Replacements' Let It Be album? Coward! I know, I know, it would just be be 80 hours of the band getting hammered and Paul Westerberg taking it out on poor Bob Stinson
Long and Winding Road ended up on Let It Be, and that's one that Lennon kept mocking in the doc. Not sure it was ever going to be on McCartney's own record though. That song was finished way before he started work on the McCartney record. You might be thinking of Maybe I'm Amazed. That ended up on Paul's first solo record along with all of the weird stuff he recorded at home.

The WBC loser-go-home game between Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic last night was one of the best baseball games that I have seen in a long ass time. It was played in Miami, the stadium was packed full of fans of both countries, and MLB couldn't have asked for a better atmosphere and game. It felt like a game seven between the Cubs and Cards or Yankees and Red Sox. I love the Caribbean players and their YOLO style of play; it's just a blast to watch guys that obviously love what they do.

The WBC loser-go-home game between Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic last night was one of the best baseball games that I have seen in a long ass time. It was played in Miami, the stadium was packed full of fans of both countries, and MLB couldn't have asked for a better atmosphere and game. It felt like a game seven between the Cubs and Cards or Yankees and Red Sox. I love the Caribbean players and their YOLO style of play; it's just a blast to watch guys that obviously love what they do.
As a Mets fan, that game was especially painful to watch and reaffirmed my belief that this event should be help at the conclusion--not before--the MLB season!

Sorry for your Mets closer, but that was a compete and total freak incident. I would file that injury under a non-baseball injury as it could've also happened anywhere in any situation.

But I'm also fine with the tournament being held after the World Series.
Yeah, I'm mostly interested in the tournament being continuously played so they can develop the International depth a bit. It's good now, but will be even better with time. I don't have any stake in the "when" ... although I will say that injuries are always a risk no matter when the games are played or what kind of games are played. Diaz 100% could have gotten the same injury in a spring training game. When it's your time, it's your time.

Absolutely incredible ending to an incredible Mexico v Japan WBC game tonight. I was hoping that the US was able to get revenge on Mexico, but I'll take an Ohtani v Trout match-up any day.

What happens when the unstoppable force meets an unmovable object? The unstoppable force wins, is what happens. Incredible ending to an incredible tournament. Let's have Jomboy break down the Ohtani v Trout battle that ends the WBC:

Agreed, but I had to unfollow him on twitter since that feed is mostly Yankees related stuff. Blech. His Youtube channel is great, though, especially his cricket content. He likes to drop F bombs, though, for those that watch this type of stuff with their kids.

Back