• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-Whenever Misc. Grab Bag Thread

Squirrel Hot Wings.

I hear this recipe is outstanding

Squirrel Hot Wings.

I hear this recipe is outstanding
Accompanied by a Rod Stewart soundtrack?

Never had squirrel. Love rabbit, but it does need help.

About the same, really. A little more bitter but every bit as stringy. There's a reason booth are generally only consumed as part of a stew or sausage
Italians use rabbit in pasta sauce too. The first time I had rabbit though was as a saddle, basically the entire torso with different sauces on each side.

I attended a flint knapping event (for fun, I make stone arrowheads & spear points, like the ancient ones did) in Wayne County (Nahunta Swamp) where they had squirrel tacos for one of the dishes and it was good enough to for me have seconds on. Most all the meats there were wild game (venison, turkey,& bear) but the squirrel was surprisingly good.

I know those little buggers are quite edible, it just wouldn't be fair to feed them daily, then shoot 'em. It would be about like hunting over a bird feeder, productive yes, but not close to fair chase. I hunt other places, so since I take from somewhere, I need to give back somewhere else. That said, My property is like a sanctuary. I'm grateful to have the wild animals come around, it's just thst the squirrels are over the top.

Jim

I attended a flint knapping event (for fun, I make stone arrowheads & spear points, like the ancient ones did) in Wayne County (Nahunta Swamp) where they had squirrel tacos for one of the dishes and it was good enough to for me have seconds on. Most all the meats there were wild game (venison, turkey,& bear) but the squirrel was surprisingly good.

I know those little buggers are quite edible, it just wouldn't be fair to feed them daily, then shoot 'em. It would be about like hunting over a bird feeder, productive yes, but not close to fair chase. I hunt other places, so since I take from somewhere, I need to give back somewhere else. That said, My property is like a sanctuary. I'm grateful to have the wild animals come around, it's just thst the squirrels are over the top.

Jim
Waygu Squirrel. Think of it as not fair chase but Free Range. 😁

Lapin was a normal food in France.
growing up we had rabbit, squirrel, bear, raccoon, pheasant, etc.
mom would put them in a pressure cooker with lots of veggies.

The Athletic is laying off nearly 20 reporters and moving additional 20 reporters off their current beats to new roles including regional or general assignment roles. Staffing for the NFL and EPL will mostly remain unchanged. But the approaches to the NHL and MLB will see some bears eliminated, because those are seen as more local. The NY Times says their investment in the newsroom will still increase this year. Since the Times bought the site last year, subscriptions have more than doubled, to 3.3 million.

The Athletic is laying off nearly 20 reporters and moving additional 20 reporters off their current beats to new roles including regional or general assignment roles. Staffing for the NFL and EPL will mostly remain unchanged. But the approaches to the NHL and MLB will see some bears eliminated, because those are seen as more local. The NY Times says their investment in the newsroom will still increase this year. Since the Times bought the site last year, subscriptions have more than doubled, to 3.3 million.
That doesn’t sound good. The difference maker for them has been the level of focus. Sounds like they’ll just be another let’s see how cheaply we can do this option and have more general coverage and their subscribers will erode.

Yeah, best as I can tell this coincides with a shift of some of the Times' sports staffers into The Athletic's virtual newsroom as they continue to integrate coverage. I kind of expected this earlier, to be honest, since the pay structure at the online outlet has to be beneficial to them compared to the paper proper. The Times has been openly pushing articles in The Athletic in their digests and newsletter emails for some time now. We'll have to see how it shakes out.

Honestly, in specifically local terms this won't mean much. No offense to Corey Lavalette, but his features on the Canes have added next to nothing that I'd be willing to pay for on their own merits. He covers the same ground for NSJ anyway, and panders too much to the Twitter mob for my liking. If they aren't going to have a proper Hurricanes beat reporter, then I'm looking for value elsewhere. Fortunately for The Athletic, I get enough from them on other stuff to make the sub worth my time and money.

I think this means the end of the road with the Athletic for me. Still no cricket coverage, even more reduced reporting on the Hurricanes. They have some fantastic original reporting on other things, but not for a billion dollars a year (or whatever it costs).

It's the future of sports media. In a few years, I'm sure most of ESPN radio's content will be dedicated to sports gambling

Back