• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-Whenever Misc. Grab Bag Thread

Abby was always going to find another on air job eventually. She may have made some truly bad life choices, but she's really good at her actual job.

Abby was always going to find another on air job eventually. She may have made some truly bad life choices, but she's really good at her actual job.

She really is. I thought that she was the best of the four people involved in a Hurricanes broadcast. Pretty low hurdle to clear, but still, she was great. I always thought that she was going to land a job on an NFL broadcast, but I guess having relations with a NHL 4th liner put the ol' kibosh on that.

She really is. I thought that she was the best of the four people involved in a Hurricanes broadcast. Pretty low hurdle to clear, but still, she was great. I always thought that she was going to land a job on an NFL broadcast, but I guess having relations with a NHL 4th liner put the ol' kibosh on that.
Abby still might get there. I would say this new gig is a stepping stone to bigger things down the road for her once some time passes.

Chantal McCabe has her own show on PGA Tour radio and is one of the primary personalities on Golf Network TV. It took her a bit of time after her break with the Canes but she has been thriving for years on a more national stage even after her mistake that derailed her job with the Canes.

Abby has the talent that will earn her opportunities.

Yeah, they've really hired well despite the weird, almost homemade nature of the broadcast over the years. I always thought Chantal was as stiff as a board while she was in Raleigh, but she's obviously had a good career after departing. Prior to Abby, I thought the best of the bunch was Michele McMahon, and she went on to be one of the core presenters on the Big 10 Network and is now the primary color presenter for televised Pickleball ... words you'd have never thought to type in that order a decade ago, but a pretty high profile gig none the less.

And it must be noted ... Hannah Yates is pretty sharp, especially for kind of a last minute hire. She'll likely go on to better paying pastures in a couple of years.

Michelle McMahon also has the same role with the Dallas Stars as she had here. She’s also covered some tennis for the Tennis Channel.

The Athletic is laying off nearly 20 reporters and moving additional 20 reporters off their current beats to new roles including regional or general assignment roles. Staffing for the NFL and EPL will mostly remain unchanged. But the approaches to the NHL and MLB will see some bears eliminated, because those are seen as more local. The NY Times says their investment in the newsroom will still increase this year. Since the Times bought the site last year, subscriptions have more than doubled, to 3.3 million.
I have a subscription to the NYT and The Athletic is included.

Party time for any remaining Charlotte Hornets fans. Jordan is officially putting his majority ownership position up for sale.

You mean the famous fisherman? Owner of the 80’ Viking Sportfisher - Catch-23? That Jordan?

well maybe not. They’ve been kept off the scoresheet so far this week.

Last edited:
Party time for any remaining Charlotte Hornets fans. Jordan is officially putting his majority ownership position up for sale.
Not just putting it up for sale…he apparently already has a deal in place. It’s being sold to two private equity guys, with Jordan keeping a minority stake. Other minority stakeholders will include Country star Eric Church and rapper J. Cole, both of whom are from NC.

Not just putting it up for sale…he apparently already has a deal in place. It’s being sold to two private equity guys, with Jordan keeping a minority stake. Other minority stakeholders will include Country star Eric Church and rapper J. Cole, both of whom are from NC.
It’s funny that the sports world is acting like this is new news. It was in the news a couple of months ago that he was selling and had a deal in place. It just took time to finalize it. I was listening to some NBA talking heads thinking to myself “this is your job and you’re telling me you had no idea it was happening?” Maybe they need to subscribe to their own news service so they can keep up with the sport they get paid good money to cover 🤣

You mean the famous fisherman? Owner of the 80’ Viking Sportfisher - Catch-23? That Jordan?

well maybe not. They’ve been kept off the scoresheet so far this week.
Fishing is a great equalizer. You can't buy a bite. The guy with the nicest gear doesn't always win...it definitely helps, but luck counts. I've fished in a bass tournament from a nice boat and watched an old lady in a straw hat, sitting on a 5 gallon bucket, fishing with a chunk of hot dog on a cane pole catch a 7 pound bass, when I couldn't catch a keeper.

Jim

It’s funny that the sports world is acting like this is new news. It was in the news a couple of months ago that he was selling and had a deal in place. It just took time to finalize it. I was listening to some NBA talking heads thinking to myself “this is your job and you’re telling me you had no idea it was happening?” Maybe they need to subscribe to their own news service so they can keep up with the sport they get paid good money to cover 🤣
These things are tenuous and only official when they're official, so I get that.

Either way, hopefully the good NBA fan people in Charlotte can eventually celebrate a grown adult managing partner for the first time in a long, long, long time.

Are a bunch of future small town Southern functional alcoholic lawyers on pace to win the college world series? Probably a few nut punchers on this Wake Forest team as well.

Are a bunch of future small town Southern functional alcoholic lawyers on pace to win the college world series? Probably a few nut punchers on this Wake Forest team as well.
I saw a blurb somewhere that LSU's fans in Omaha had broken the total jello shots consumed record at a local bar ... in 4 days. They blew past Ole Miss' previous high "water" mark.

I saw a blurb somewhere that LSU's fans in Omaha had broken the total jello shots consumed record at a local bar ... in 4 days. They blew past Ole Miss' previous high "water" mark.
The CEO of Raising Canes purchased 6,000 shots yesterday. This was also the first year that fans were able to purchase shots online, so that helped too. Pretty impressive showing by Wake Forest though, comfortably in 2nd. And what is Bible Belt Oral Roberts doing in 4th?

Back