• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-Whenever Misc. Grab Bag Thread

The Attorney General of Washington DC sued Stubhub for deceptive pricing, basically showing a low price and not revealing the massive mandatory tack on fees until well into the purchasing process.

Stubhub’s immediate response was, basically, everybody does it, why ya pickin’ on us?

We looked on Stubhub last week for tickets. Tickets advertised at about $18 turned out to cost about $30. Totally ridiculous.

The Attorney General of Washington DC sued Stubhub for deceptive pricing, basically showing a low price and not revealing the massive mandatory tack on fees until well into the purchasing process.

Stubhub’s immediate response was, basically, everybody does it, why ya pickin’ on us?

We looked on Stubhub last week for tickets. Tickets advertised at about $18 turned out to cost about $30. Totally ridiculous.

Come on. Everyone knows you have to charge a 50% markup to pay for all the costs of emailing digital tickets.

My response to this is the same as my response to the Canadian women's soccer team's claims that everybody spies on closed practice sessions so they shouldn't be singled out. If everybody IS doing it, then everybody can cut it the heck out.

The STM gift emails are out. It’s a choice of replica seats that they say can be used as a business card holder, a quarter zip, a bluetooth speaker or a set of 4 pint glasses.

Fortunately, I no longer expect much in terms of the STM gift so I'm never disappointed.

I suspect we will end up going with the glasses or maybe the speaker if we decide it would be good to have a spare portable speaker. That jacket definitely is a no go and I doubt my wife will want another shelf knickknack to add to all of the pucks and bobbleheads.

Long gone are really useful gifts like that Addias bag we got like 5 or 6? seasons ago (that gets heavy use by our fam still).

Fortunately, I no longer expect much in terms of the STM gift so I'm never disappointed.

I suspect we will end up going with the glasses or maybe the speaker if we decide it would be good to have a spare portable speaker. That jacket definitely is a no go and I doubt my wife will want another shelf knickknack to add to all of the pucks and bobbleheads.

Long gone are really useful gifts like that Addias bag we got like 5 or 6? seasons ago (that gets heavy use by our fam still).
I'd LOVE another gym bag. My son promptly swiped the Adidas bag from 2018 or whatever year it was. As I'm a man of a certain age and have had Canes season tickets forever, I've got several portable wireless speakers (two of which I got just this past Christmas) and already have a full set of Canes pint glasses. I think I'll keep using the ones from 2006 for whatever reason. Other than the gym bag the only STH gift I wish they'd duplicate is the golf umbrellas they gave out back in the early, early days. Those were good umbrellas and one of them lasted until 2020 or so.

Not season ticket gift, but i still use my team issued CCM bag from 2002. lol. Love that thing. We got so much new stuff given to us at the beginning of the year I ended up giving most of it away to family and friends.

I remember the STM gift catalog and the ton of choices in it... we got the umbrellas & camping chairs & bags, etc.. also but best one I got (= "could afford" with my number of points) was a Canes-themed portable cornhole set with STM (or was it STH still then, I forget) on all the (red & black) bags, and full-board images of E Staal and Ward on the 2 boards that fold up together for bag storage and transport. Other than being a bit too slippery due to the plexi covering over the player images, we love the set and still bring it out for playoff tailgaters.

I haven't had tickets for 10+ years now (siiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh) but still have my wheeled luggage, a thermal container or two of various configurations and a grill set.
The camp chair did not last very long. I think I had to heave it. Like, half way across the yard.

I love the adidas tote bag, it gets used a lot. Back when I had to wear suits, the garment bag got a lot of use, now it sits, unused and unloved in an eave. We also get a lot of use from the dopp kit, it’s roomy enough to hold a weekend’s worth of toiletires, as long as I don’t have a big, honking bottle of contact lens solution. And the cocktail shaker and rocks glasses get a lot of use. The golf bag, not so much.

I went with the pint glasses. We’ve had to toss a few recently, so theyll be decent replacements. I have enough quarter zips,and what do I do, alternate days with my wife? And I have plenty of Bluetooth speakers, one of which lives in my wife’s car for tailgating use if it’s just the 2 of us.

I've been out of the STH/STM loop for a bit myself. I still have & regularly use the golf umbrella and I'm looking at the room clock right now. The chairs were crap and hardly what I'd call a gift. I absolutely wore out the Hurricanes logo carry-on bag. It didn't hold up to the rigors of international dive travel too well. But I asked more of it than most. It made it to Matangi & Kadavu in Fiji, Lembeh, Una-Una, and Siladen in Indonesia, Grenada x3, Bonaire, Raja Ampat, West Papua, and Little Cayman and back, all on different trips. It looked like total hell by the time it was spent, though it was fun while it lasted. I met several interesting hockey fans and a few minor league players, mostly in N.Y., Chicago, and L.A. who commented when they saw it.

Jim

Everyone ready for a bit of of rain over the next few days? The coast is going to get pounded with rain, potentially measured in feet, as Debby stalls and sits off the coast and absorbs half of the Atlantic Ocean. I’m glad my daughter in Wilmington got her house under contract last weekend. She still has to deal with whatever happens this week but at least it’s just cleanup and not cleanup and make it presentable for viewing.

This beautiful sunny morning here in Wake county was definitely the calm before the storm. This afternoon through possibly Saturday morning is going to be very wet around these parts. Hoping the areas in Georgia, SC, and coastal NC don't get as much rain as they fear could fall.

The forecasts from the National Hurricane Center for the rain for us here in Wake county have been getting worse over the past 3 days. The 8AM update this morning now has us solidly in the 8-12 inches 5 day range with the 12-16 inch prediction line continuing to move closer to Raleigh.

Even if those rainfall totals are spread fairly evenly over the next 5 days, that is still way too much water for some areas around these parts to handle. I was taking some time yesterday to make sure my gutters and drainpipes were ready.

Last edited:
Yeah, Debbie was already pretty big but when it hit land the thing got disorganized, slowed and spread WAY out. We could be getting bands for three days which is unusual. By the middle of day two, it's gonna just be running off because the ground will be saturated and the short term storage areas filled. This will not be fun.

The fact this thing does not want to move and parks itself over us is really a bad sign...many of these storms move on out pretty quickly but the fact that this bitch wants to stay for days upon days is not good. Reminds me of Florence and that awful N&O front page picture of all that livestock on the roof of a barn East of us.

Florence was a real beatch. This one seems to have less volume, but is definitely doing a good impersonation of that pattern of movement

It will be interesting watching the RCC pond behind the house. The backyard is pretty damned flat also. And the house has a history of letting water in the lower level even after the new footing drains.

Back