• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-Whenever Misc. Grab Bag Thread

I got 5.5" of rain N.E. of Hillsborough. The creek behind the house stayed in its banks. Just got power back on in time for another thunderstorm coming down from Danville. Sheesh. I'm going to go ahead and get a shower & an adult beverage on ice while I can.

Jim

After the days of rain we had, and the tornadoes that touched down in the area, my wife and I went to see Twisters. if you haven’t seen it, one of the characters worked at the National Weather Service. And I had a random memory. A long time ago, there was a person on one of our boards that worked at NWS Raleigh. I think his screen name was Thun2Ched. Like many of the old timers, he fell away as we migrated from site to site. Anyone know what happened to him?

The movie? If you haven’t seen it, put it on your list.

Warning ... mosquitoes that survive hurricanes are nasty bastages. I got bit a TON walking the dog this morning
Yeah, there was so much rain, there are still puddles in my grass. Seriously considering showering in Deet before I do yard work.

Warning ... mosquitoes that survive hurricanes are nasty bastages. I got bit a TON walking the dog this morning
And those were all females that then flew off and laid eggs in all those pools of water. It’s going to be really miserable here in a few days.

The parent companies of WFAN and ESPN New York have reached a deal that gives ESPN New York a stronger signal but also signals the end of a near 60 year run of all news WCBS-AM. Audacy, which owns both WFAN and WCBS will license the signal on 880 AM to ESPN New York, which is currently on WEPN-FM 98.7 and AM 1050. ESPN executives had stated earlier that they were not renewing the license on the FM station which expires at the end of August. The signal for 880 is stronger than the signal for 1050. Mets games will continue to be broadcast on 880, which will change call letters to WHSQ.

Final thought on the Olympics ... I had forgotten how much I actually enjoyed the summer games. It's been 8 years since we had a proper Olympics and it was fun to enjoy the full experience with the fanfare and fans. Nothing is perfect and there's always some weirdness associated with the Olympics, but overall that was a fun couple of weeks that streaming actually enhanced instead of ruining.

After all of the rain -we found we had water come into our lower level between the slab and the sil plate. Can anyone recommend a good drainage/waterproofer? Thansks

The parent companies of WFAN and ESPN New York have reached a deal that gives ESPN New York a stronger signal but also signals the end of a near 60 year run of all news WCBS-AM. Audacy, which owns both WFAN and WCBS will license the signal on 880 AM to ESPN New York, which is currently on WEPN-FM 98.7 and AM 1050. ESPN executives had stated earlier that they were not renewing the license on the FM station which expires at the end of August. The signal for 880 is stronger than the signal for 1050. Mets games will continue to be broadcast on 880, which will change call letters to WHSQ.
We were always partial to 880 over 1010 WINS News. Maybe they just had a better signal at our house. Maybe the Mets were on 880 also back then. Sad to see 880 go. Looks like 1010 WINS won out in the end.

Final thought on the Olympics ... I had forgotten how much I actually enjoyed the summer games. It's been 8 years since we had a proper Olympics and it was fun to enjoy the full experience with the fanfare and fans. Nothing is perfect and there's always some weirdness associated with the Olympics, but overall that was a fun couple of weeks that streaming actually enhanced instead of ruining.
💯 I found the Paris Olympics to be excellent both from the beauty and history of the host city with that backdrop and the great competition across so many events. Peacock did a great job with the wall to wall every sport coverage and the not so bad time difference was easy to watch most events in almost real time here on the East coast. Can’t wait for LA to put on a show in some of those new venues like swimming at SoFi stadium!

We were always partial to 880 over 1010 WINS News. Maybe they just had a better signal at our house. Maybe the Mets were on 880 also back then. Sad to see 880 go. Looks like 1010 WINS won out in the end.
They didn't really win out...both stations are owned by the same company.

Call me old fashioned but I prefer the Olympics to be about the athletes and not about how many celebrities’ reactions you can show after Simone Biles sneezes. The Hollywood Olympics are going to take that ball and run with it. Dont get me wrong, I loved the events. I’d just prefer the non-event periods to feature the athletes and their stories. Not everything these days has to be Snoop-stamped.

I can't honestly say I noticed or cared that much, which may be because I watched a lot of events live during the day and didn't really watch any of the edited stuff on big NBC at night. I'm pretty sure there were a half a hundred famous people sitting courtside of the men's basketball final but they mostly showed the President of France ... and hey, fair enough right? They kept mentioning Melo and Draymond but I'm not sure I ever saw them other than in a wide shot ... which is also fine. During the women's soccer final I do remember finding the shots of Tom Cruise cheering on the US completely hilarious ... because Cruise claps like he's never used his hands for such an activity before and otherwise looked like a bemused alien being trying to figure out what was going on.

Back