• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-Whenever Misc. Grab Bag Thread

Yup ... and NBC made all sorts of bank anyway, as they got record numbers in both daytime and primetime. It wasn't even an extra expenditure for me since I get an annual subscription to Peacock anyway, for the Premiere League games.

The men's gold medal basketball game averaged 19+ million viewers with a peak of 22+ million at the end of the game.

More possible trouble for the NCAA, this time it’s hockey related. The NCAA has always considered the Canadian major junior leagues as professional leagues since the players receive a stipend. That disqualifies them from playing US college hockey. Ryan Masterson has filed a class action lawsuit against the NCAA, alleging they’re violating anti-trust laws. He played 2 exhibition games with the Windsor Spitfires but that cost him his eligibility. NCAA players are allowed to attend professional tryout camps where they’re provided room and board and the lawsuit also points out that athletes in other sports are not subject to those rules, using Katie Ledecky as an example. There is also a player at BU that played in a Swedish league.

View: https://x.com/rwesthead/status/1823351023877943545?s=61&t=ZT8KDHkGMyk7V3JAuh5_ag

Yeah, that's a shifting sand issue again, I think. The NCAA has always tried to treat hockey differently than a lot of other sports mostly because they're competing against major junior for players which kind of sets college hockey apart from other sports that don't have much competition. Their eligibility rules were always set to lock in guys who chose to go the college route and limit their options to move between college and major junior because they feared that freedom of movement would make it too difficult for programs to set rosters year to year. That was always going to have to change given the changes in other sports to allow athletes to generate personal income and still maintain eligibility. But in typical NCAA fashion, they haven't been proactive and have instead waited for legal pressure to force them to move. It's dumb, but entirely in character for the NCAA.

While I didn't watch of ton of Olympics coverage until the second week, I miss the Games already.
Since I work from home, it was quite nice to be able to just have some Olympic action in the background every afternoon. Monday afternoon was VERY boring.

Since I work from home, it was quite nice to be able to just have some Olympic action in the background every afternoon. Monday afternoon was VERY boring.
There was an EFL Championship match between Luton and Burnley. And we have 4 Carabao Cup matches to choose from today.

...and Wrexham plays at Sheffield at 3PM today!
Look, I actually like how enthusiastic rando American fans have gotten about Wrexham, but I honestly couldn't give less of a crap about them. I'll just mind my knitting and keep supporting the club I've supported for my adult lifetime.

ForumIce: I like watching other soccer teams!

JB: Get the <polar's word> off my lawn!

:LOL:
Look ... watch whoever you want. Just don't expect everybody to share enthusiasm for some Welsh team from a fading town that nobody had heard of before they were bought by a couple of celebrities.

After all of the rain -we found we had water come into our lower level between the slab and the sil plate. Can anyone recommend a good drainage/waterproofer? Thansks
Keith Locker at Shamrock Waterproofing. Long story short, he's thorough.

Here's some misc. random grab bag content; One of the wild turkey hens that visits my place has been bringing her poults (chicks) up to eat every day for the past few weeks. Pretty much every predator loves to eat turkeys, so it will be interesting to see how many reach maturity. There's quite a few Owls, coyotes, raccoons, hawks, stray dogs & cats, skunks, the occasional bear and eagle around that would love a fresh turkey meal.

There's also another hen that started bringing her 5 poults around last week, though these are obviously several weeks younger and smaller. My guess is that hen's original nest was destroyed and she successfully re-nested. You just can't have too many turkeys.

7-30-24 Poults - Hen. (1).JPGHen with poults 2.0.JPG

Jim

Whaler/Canes alum Steven Rice has been named head coach of UNC men’s hockey team, as they step up to ACHA Division 1. Rice played 3 seasons in Hartford and the first season in Greensboro. The previous coach, Adam Dauda, left to join the ECHL Greenville Swamp Rabbits.

Whaler/Canes alum Steven Rice has been named head coach of UNC men’s hockey team, as they step up to ACHA Division 1. Rice played 3 seasons in Hartford and the first season in Greensboro. The previous coach, Adam Dauda, left to join the ECHL Greenville Swamp Rabbits.
Was Rice the one who went on IR after injuring himself brushing his teeth?

Do they cheat like there's no tomorrow also?

Back