• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-Whenever Misc. Grab Bag Thread

I still can't believe the gall in thinking that there was a good enough team there to not give the starters real playing time in the preseason. If you're the Chiefs, yeah, I get it, that squad has been playing together long enough that the injury dangers present in the preseason is a bit much, but if you're a crap ass team with lots of new players, they should be getting reps as a unit just to get somewhat familiar with each other in a non-practice context.

Kinda looks like David Tepper is trying to top Jerry Jones for the Championship Belt in NFL team meddling. How can one intentionally let their ego wreck a team that they supposedly care about? File it under more money than sense.

Contrast the Carolina Panthers with the Carolina Hurricanes development. Both teams were sold to their new owners in 2018 (Hurricanes in January and Panthers in July). Tom Dundon had the wisdom to step back to hire and allow individuals with hockey backgrounds make decisions, while David Tepper appears to make one bad decision after another on his own. The Hurricanes haven't missed the playoffs since Dundon took charge, the Panthers don't even look like a JV squad & appear to be playing for draft picks at this point.

*in my best Keith Jackson voice " Tepper FUMBLES!"*

Jim

Ironically, I'm not sure Dundon is any more hands off than Tepper, really. He's just a collaborative guy who values the input of the professionals he's hired in management roles. It IS weird to think that the two ownership changes happened basically at the same time. We Canes fans really won that coin toss, didn't we? Because that's all it is. You just never know what kind of loonie you're getting when your team gets bought. You can only hope for the best.

Ironically, I'm not sure Dundon is any more hands off than Tepper, really. He's just a collaborative guy who values the input of the professionals he's hired in management roles. It IS weird to think that the two ownership changes happened basically at the same time. We Canes fans really won that coin toss, didn't we? Because that's all it is. You just never know what kind of loonie you're getting when your team gets bought. You can only hope for the best.
It also helped that Dundon had a GM replacement in-house with Waddell and both Tulsky and Yorke were with the team. But what would it have looked like if RBA hadn’t convinced Waddell and Dundon that he was up to the challenge? Would Dundon have cycled through as many coaches as Tepper?

Yeah, Tepper had a worse in house setup at turnover, to be sure. But it wasn't his first foray into sports ownership/management, having been at least somewhat involved as a minority partner with the Steelers ... an organization that on the face of it seems to at least be functional. Plus, an NFL franchise is basically a license to print money so it's not like his revenue stream is the pile of dust bunnies, dog hair and toenail clippings you find when you change bags on your average household vacuum cleaner like Dundon's. And if Dundon had needed to start from scratch in his front office, I'm still 100% certain he'd be light years ahead of Tepper by now.

And I'm not even fluffing Dundon up here. My dog would make better decisions than Tepper and he's kind of a moron. It's the lowest of low bars, this comparison. When it comes to the ownership lottery, we hit big on the scratch-off card every day for a month.

This year’s big balls award goes to DIRECTV

So in the middle of them removing ABC, ESPN and other channels, they have the nerve to send me an email that they’re jacking up my monthly bill by nine dollars. Whoever is in charge of their marketing/public image should be fired immediately. That email just cost them at least one customer. I was willing to let this contract dispute play out like I do every couple of years, but the nerve of these ass clowns to raise my rates in the middle of it they can go f*** themselves.

So in the middle of them removing ABC, ESPN and other channels, they have the nerve to send me an email that they’re jacking up my monthly bill by nine dollars. Whoever is in charge of their marketing/public image should be fired immediately. That email just cost them at least one customer. I was willing to let this contract dispute play out like I do every couple of years, but the nerve of these ass clowns to raise my rates in the middle of it they can go f*** themselves.
Yeah, I got that email too. Um, Left Hand, I want you to meet Right Hand. You two should work together. In the meantime, I’ll be over here chatting with YoutubeTV.

Once you drop Directv and sign up for YouTubeTV you’ll never look back! My wife and I laugh when I mention the days of being on hold for an hour with Directv fighting about our messed up bill every other month and dealing with their constant nonsense. No one should be subjected to that shit show.

But we would then have to get a subscription to Ballys app to watch canes games. I’ve always been happy with directv stream because they offer channels I watch that YouTube or other services don’t. So then I have to get subscriptions to other apps and it ends up being more expensive. If they don’t have this contract bs fixed in a month, I’ll have to do something, but I have always liked my directv stream better than YouTube, sling etc…I have had them all.

But we would then have to get a subscription to Ballys app to watch canes games. I’ve always been happy with directv stream because they offer channels I watch that YouTube or other services don’t. So then I have to get subscriptions to other apps and it ends up being more expensive. If they don’t have this contract bs fixed in a month, I’ll have to do something, but I have always liked my directv stream better than YouTube, sling etc…I have had them all.
That’s where I am, although between my kids and us, we share subscriptions to Peacock, Paramount+, the Disney bundle and Apple. I’m on U-verse, so I lost all the Disney channels too. I’d love to go to YouTube TV but my kids use the cable subscription to access certain channels on their Roku. Are they available through YouTube?

That’s where I am, although between my kids and us, we share subscriptions to Peacock, Paramount+, the Disney bundle and Apple. I’m on U-verse, so I lost all the Disney channels too. I’d love to go to YouTube TV but my kids use the cable subscription to access certain channels on their Roku. Are they available through YouTube?
Same here. But we had the Bally app with DirecTV Stream last year and the app worked fine. It’s a pain to not have everything in one interface but I think YouTubeTV + Bally app comes out to significantly less per month than the DirecTV package that has Bally built in.

Same here. But we had the Bally app with DirecTV Stream last year and the app worked fine. It’s a pain to not have everything in one interface but I think YouTubeTV + Bally app comes out to significantly less per month than the DirecTV package that has Bally built in.

Yes, but there are other channels I watch that YouTube or Hulu don’t carry so I would have to get several more subscriptions that would cost me more than $25 more a month to make the switch.

Yeah the Bally's Canes issue is the cost of what I had to deal with when switching to YouTubeTV...so for now it was the extra $20 a month for Bally's...but all of that Canes hockey TV contract stuff seems like it's all up in the air and may change...

Yeah, that's the price of what will inevitably end up being their new carriage agreement with Disney/ABC. Same thing several other carriers have done in similar situations ... including YouTubeTV a few years ago. They're doing it before the agreement tho, so that's new.

I hooked up an Amazon fire stick Saturday to watch that disaster of a f/b game.

Lord, what a PIA it is trying to figure what the hell is on. Plus, I can't seem to find the H&I network to watch Star Trek at night.

TV is not only a vast wasteland, it's now a vast PIA!

The Pac-12 is trying to rebuild. Oregon St. And Washington St. have targeted 4 schools in the Mountain West; San Diego State, Fresno St., Boise St. and Colorado St. in their quest to get to 8 teams needed to be certified as a conference by the NCAA. But their deadline is June 30, 2026. But each school in the MWC has a hefty penalty to leave; they have a $17 million exit fee and the PAC-12 has a $10-12 penalty million fee per school because they entered into a scheduling agreement with the MWC. The Pac-12 doesn’t have an automatic bid to the 12 team College Football Playoff. Their conference champion, such as it is, will be considered as an at-large team.

The All State Conference? I think they might have trademark issues, but carry on.

Seriously, I don't think cobbling together a coalition of 2nd or 3rd most followed teams in western states is gonna move the TV needle sufficient to fund busting up the Mountain West. Maybe OSU and MSU should just go do the simple thing and joint up with a functional conference and be done with it. Yeah, it's a shame to lose the PAC 10/12/2, but without USC and UCLA and the other backbone teams ... what's the point?

BTW, I do not blame Bryce for the situation in Charlotte. The organization screwed it all up all by themselves. So many poor decisions.

Back