• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-Whenever Misc. Grab Bag Thread

I picked Tampa Bay as my survivor in the survivor pool that I'm in. We skip the very first week, so this means I'm out in only the second dang week of play. Also, look what the heck the Panthers are doing to the Raiders right now. I guess Bryce was really just that bad.

I picked Tampa Bay as my survivor in the survivor pool that I'm in. We skip the very first week, so this means I'm out in only the second dang week of play. Also, look what the heck the Panthers are doing to the Raiders right now. I guess Bryce was really just that bad.
I thought there would be room for a big choke but they’re looking pretty good.

Also, look what the heck the Panthers are doing to the Raiders right now. I guess Bryce was really just that bad.
Last I checked he doesn't play offensive line or defense. Maybe it was just the embarrassment of failing the guy so badly, but for whatever reason about 10 grown ass men remembered how to play football at the same time.

My Saints finally appeared on Sunday— the team I was expecting. The NOLA media claimed a collapse by the defense in the Philly win. All I recall were failures to capitalize in every way— on two turnovers, a blocked punt, turnovers on downs, multiple sacks on Hurts and a decision to go for it on 4th down versus going for points.

My Saints finally appeared on Sunday— the team I was expecting. The NOLA media claimed a collapse by the defense in the Philly win. All I recall were failures to capitalize in every way— on two turnovers, a blocked punt, turnovers on downs, multiple sacks on Hurts and a decision to go for it on 4th down versus going for points.
I was in a sports bar in Columbia, Maryland. That game was on the big TV over the bar and had the audio. My Giants were in a smaller TV and I was looking back and forth. The decision to go for it on 4th down as opposed to taking the points was widely criticized by the armchair coaches in the bar. Sadly, we were right, Dennis Allen committed coaching malpractice.

JMU has a decent coach in Chesney. Glad to see him having success. We met him this summer, and he was a first class guy. Reminded me a lot of Brindy, high energy and very hands on and friendly.

Good article on The Athletic over the weekend about JMU and their rise to FBS football and Division 1 sports. They might be headed into a cash crunch though, their athletic department is largely funded by student fees and the Commonwealth of Virginia passed a law restricting the percentage of athletic budget that can be funded by fees.

Last I checked he doesn't play offensive line or defense. Maybe it was just the embarrassment of failing the guy so badly, but for whatever reason about 10 grown ass men remembered how to play football at the same time.

If the QB doesn't have his mess together, it can bring down the whole team. Confidence & experience can be contageous. I'd say Dalton has a better grasp on the playbook and was probably given free reign to play his game, where I think Bryce Young still has training wheels on.

I believe it's a bad idea to throw younger quarterbacks into an NHL game until they've thoroughly learned the speed of the game. Sometimes, they step right in and handle it, but I'd bet that more new QBs flounder than succeed until they get in the groove, which can take years. How bad did Sam Darnold stink on the Jets? (that could also be franchise futility deal), yet look at him today in a better situation with more experience.

Jim

JMU has a decent coach in Chesney. Glad to see him having success. We met him this summer, and he was a first class guy. Reminded me a lot of Brindy, high energy and very hands on and friendly.
JMU is fully 20-25 years into a serious, comprehensive football program upgrade. Even cycling multiple coaches out to bigger programs has never really slowed them down for very long. Chesney is the latest cog in the wheel after doing great work at Holy Cross. Former NC State assistant Curt Cignetti went to Indiana after last season and left him a stacked cupboard.

The Pac-12 added Utah State, bringing it to 7 teams, 5 of which were poached from the Mountain West Conference. They also filed suit against the MWC, alleging that the poaching fees in the joint scheduling agreement amount to an antitrust violation. After adding Utah State, the Pac-12 would owe $55 million in poaching fees.

If the QB doesn't have his mess together, it can bring down the whole team. Confidence & experience can be contageous. I'd say Dalton has a better grasp on the playbook and was probably given free reign to play his game, where I think Bryce Young still has training wheels on.

I believe it's a bad idea to throw younger quarterbacks into an NHL game until they've thoroughly learned the speed of the game. Sometimes, they step right in and handle it, but I'd bet that more new QBs flounder than succeed until they get in the groove, which can take years. How bad did Sam Darnold stink on the Jets? (that could also be franchise futility deal), yet look at him today in a better situation with more experience.

Jim
I fully agree, then someone like Jayden Daniels has a game like he did last night, and half the GMs immediately unlearn all those lessons.

Yeah, NFL GM's are no brighter than the doofuses in the NHL when it comes to learning all the wrong lessons.

Gonzaga is leaving the West Coast Conference and joining the Pac-12 in 2026. That gives the league the 8 schools they need to automatically qualify for NCAA championships. Since the Zags don’t play football, the conference is still one school short to meet the requirement for one of the 5 conference champions slots in the football playoff.

Gonzaga is leaving the West Coast Conference and joining the Pac-12 in 2026. That gives the league the 8 schools they need to automatically qualify for NCAA championships. Since the Zags don’t play football, the conference is still one school short to meet the requirement for one of the 5 conference champions slots in the football playoff.
Pac 8 part deux?

Pac 8 part deux?
Probably, but it’s turning into a struggle. They struck out adding the 8th football member, UNLV turned them down. And the Mountain West is adding UTEP and the rest of the MWC schools signed a binding agreement to stay. So their pickings are getting slim. Maybe they can convince one of the Montana schools to move up from FCS, they’re both powers in that division. But they’re more likely to move to the MWC than PAC-12 I’d think.

Back