• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-Whenever Misc. Grab Bag Thread

Whelp, we put an offer on a rather nice townhome to get my wonderful daughter in the Green Hope school district and the sellers accepted. Great. Now we gotta try to sell this house. Anyone or know anyone looking for a sub-2000 sq ft home in central Cary? Walking distance to the growing downtown and to some awesome breweries like Fortnight. Inventory for this sized home is mostly non-existent so hopefully it sells fast. If it were up to me we would stay where we are and have the kid go to Cary HS, but she has a difficult time making friends and what friends she does have are all going to Green Hope.

Whelp, we put an offer on a rather nice townhome to get my wonderful daughter in the Green Hope school district and the sellers accepted. Great. Now we gotta try to sell this house. Anyone or know anyone looking for a sub-2000 sq ft home in central Cary? Walking distance to the growing downtown and to some awesome breweries like Fortnight. Inventory for this sized home is mostly non-existent so hopefully it sells fast. If it were up to me we would stay where we are and have the kid go to Cary HS, but she has a difficult time making friends and what friends she does have are all going to Green Hope.
You will be fine brother! That size home in Cary will not last very long, I had a co-worker in Apex tell me that real estate agents were essentially pestering them monthly to sell a similar sized home in the downtown walking area of Apex because there is what you said...next to no inventory for that type of home that comes available often.

I wonder if you ever bumped into my buddy Darryl at Fortnight. It's one of his favorites.

A sportswriter in Oregon says that Pac-12 had an offer from ESPN for $30 million per team they included the Pac-12 Network. The league rejected it and told ESPN they wanted $50 million per team. ESPN said sayonara.

The Apple deal would have provided $31.7 million per school but no linear TV exposure. It also would have been a $100 standalone subscription that the schools would have to pitch to their fans to get the revenue. He also says they Fox had a hand in killing the deal, since they’re in bed with both the Bigs

His article is linked in the tweet, it’s behind a paywall but can be viewed with judicious scrolling.

Yeah ... every single thing I've read on the PAC 12's decision making over the last several years is ... umm ... problematic.

University presidents and boards get off the hook why exactly? They were the ones prostituting their product without much if any thought given to the long term consequences.

What a lazy article. There’s a lot more to it than the ‘evil ESPN’ but carry on I guess.
I mean, ESPN has had a really, really negative impact on college football while at the same time helping to increase the amount of cash that goes into the product. It's fair to hold them to account because too many sports reporters are either not bright enough to do the social math or too enamored of job prospects at "the worldwide leader in sports" to actually slow down and look at the obvious long term issues. Not everybody of course, because there are some out there looking out for the kids and calling it like it is. Not enough, but some.

But you know who ISN'T getting called to the carpet over the damage they've done to their own institutions? Presidents, Chancellors and Boards of these colleges and universities ... particularly the publics, who also eventually answer to their constituents. Those are the so-called adults in the room, yet they've acted just as stupid as their meathead ADs when making decisions. So yeah, in the interest of one sport let's make thousands of scholarship athletes drag literally all over the country to play games not even their parents care about ... and require them to meet higher academic standards than their fellow students ... and take away their academic flexibility ... and retain approval and control over their outside income. Sounds great. Makes perfect sense.

What a lazy article. There’s a lot more to it than the ‘evil ESPN’ but carry on I guess.
The guy clearly has an ideological axe to grind. This last round of conference jumping lands squarely at Fox, which holds the rights to the Big 10 and Big 12. If you don’t think Fox worked behind the scenes to decimate a conference they had no stake in, which had already lost 2 teams to a Fox-backed conference, you’re kidding yourself.

And Jeff is right, the presidents, chancellors and athletic directors have brought this on themselves. They whine about nobody being in charge for football while they‘ve spent the last 30+ years ensuring the NCAA had no capability to actually take charge.

Another high profile exit from ESPN but this one was inevitable. Sage Steele and ESPN settled her lawsuit and she left, saying it was based on her desire to “exercise her First Amendment rights more freely”.

Another high profile exit from ESPN but this one was inevitable. Sage Steele and ESPN settled her lawsuit and she left, saying it was based on her desire to “exercise her First Amendment rights more freely”.
I think she's been off the air since her suspension roughly 2 years ago, so this really isn't part of their recent talent purge. And good luck to her finding a new employer who pay her to go an air and say whatever the heck pops into her mind with n consequences ... since that's what free speech means to her, apparently.

God help us, but we need to be teaching civics more effectively in this increasingly stupid county

I didn’t realize that ESPN is now an arm of Congress. Must’ve missed that.

Back