• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-Whenever Misc. Grab Bag Thread

In my wife's case, she's a CARK. Containment Area for Relocated Kinstonians

I grew up not far from Kinston, in Jacksonville. We used to go up there every weekend to watch the Kinston Blue Jays then Indians, then whatever they were after that. I have a picture of me as a youngster with Blue Jays' legend Jesse Barfield and not so legendary Pat Borders

And all the New Yorkers and New Jerseyers.
This New Jerseyan moved to NW Wake County. I was commuting to Oxford, so Cary was a non-starter. I did have a co-worker that commuted from Apex, but he was a holdover from when Almay was there. Another co-worker commuted from Southern Pines but he was close to retirement and moved to where he was going to settle, near family.

Another co-worker commuted from Southern Pines but he was close to retirement and moved to where he was going to settle, near family.
Good gracious. That's a terrible commute. We had a couple of guys who drove in from South Boston VA for a long time. We tried to keep them on jobs in the RTP or Durham, but they still burned a ton of gas.

I lived in Cary for several year, but to continue the stereotype I'm technically from PA.
;)
Where in PA? I was a wee lad in, or more accurately, outside of Bradford. Left there in 1968 is the 2nd grade.

That is where I learned to ice skate.

PA is where I learned to skate as well. Went through the ice on the sunny side of a pond one day when I was 7 visiting my grandparent's place. I managed to crawl out and my laces & pants froze. Had to walk home in my skates...not far, but far enough to wreck my edges. I've carried a pocket knife ever since. My father took me to skate in Hershey where the Bears played. He's been a Bears fan since 1942. They're looking pretty strong in th is year's Calder Cup playoffs so far.

Jim

Lehigh Valley
Sounds like you and PL were closer to the east side of PA.

It was a great place to be a kid. We skated on the neighbor's pond and had hills all around.

We lived in the PA oil patch, so would wake up to the pump house doing its thing. It had a large wooden round 'table' that had a bunch of steel rods connecting it to the well heads. Just went back and forth driving the wells. Guys would have to raise the rods before turning on the machinery that ran the pumps. It was a pretty neat mechanical contraption. We'd also go to the grocery store right next to the Kendall refinery. That was probably my first architectural inspiration. Lots of odd shapes there. And smells! We'd also pass the Zippo and Case factories weekly heading to Mass.

There was a small pond in the woods that had an oil seep below it. That was my first psychedelic experience, albeit w/o hallucinogens. We would cross the pond dangling from one of the pump cables that we figured out how to untether from the stowed position.

I need to find a home for all my hockey stuff.

Back in 2004 I got laid off and decided to get a pair of skates and start skating because I had more spare time than I liked. Over the next couple of years I wound up accumulating a shin guards, elbow pads, gloves, helmet, all of it. Even have a roll of sock tape left. Then work got really busy and the stuff wound up on a shelf in the garage. I pulled it down when we started cleaning out the garage the other day, and it's all still in great shape. Even that old it might be of interest to someone. Any ideas on how to find it a new home?

I need to find a home for all my hockey stuff.

Back in 2004 I got laid off and decided to get a pair of skates and start skating because I had more spare time than I liked. Over the next couple of years I wound up accumulating a shin guards, elbow pads, gloves, helmet, all of it. Even have a roll of sock tape left. Then work got really busy and the stuff wound up on a shelf in the garage. I pulled it down when we started cleaning out the garage the other day, and it's all still in great shape. Even that old it might be of interest to someone. Any ideas on how to find it a new home?
If you're on Facebook, you should join the Raleigh Beer League Hockey group and post about your gear's availability there.

Last edited:
The Big 12 is pursuing 2 separate cash infusions with private entities.

First, they’re considering a private equity investment of $800 million - $1 billion for 15-20% equity in the conference.
Second, they’re exploring a naming rights deal with Allstate and others that would bring in $30-50 million per year

Back