• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-Whenever Misc. Grab Bag Thread

Have to wonder if this will be separated in such a way that donations to teams for purposes other than buying tickets will no longer be tax deductible. The VC money may be enough the colleges no longer care. For what it’s worth, I would argue donations for sports should not be tax deductible. Most college football teams and many basketball are de facto for-profit entities.

So college sports has completely become pro-sports light? got it.
Only Big Div 1 schools. For everyone else, it's standing around picking up scraps and fostering HS players for 1 or 2 seasons until they transfer. Having a kid in HS sports, it's been dramatic, how quickly the HS recruiting landscape has changed. The smaller schools have to be more active.

Ladies, gentlemen, and all NFL fans, your attention please! The highest paid QB in the league is now...Trevor Lawrence? Well, I see the reasoning behind this decision. Trevor is not yet in the top 5 of the current QB stock, but just in case he ends up in that rarified air, better lock him up now because this new $55 million per season is going to seem like a bargain in a couple of seasons. If he doesn't perform to this contract, you can re-sign him at the current $55 million or lower.

Ladies, gentlemen, and all NFL fans, your attention please! The highest paid QB in the league is now...Trevor Lawrence? Well, I see the reasoning behind this decision. Trevor is not yet in the top 5 of the current QB stock, but just in case he ends up in that rarified air, better lock him up now because this new $55 million per season is going to seem like a bargain in a couple of seasons. If he doesn't perform to this contract, you can re-sign him at the current $55 million or lower.
Coincidentally, $55 million is the approximate cost of the Chiefs Super Bowl rings. Which have a typo, the team’s playoff wins are inscribed on the inside of the ring and it incorrectly identifies the Dolphins as the 7 seed. They were the 6 seed.

That ugly girl?

And I'm just now realizing that Trevor will still play out the remainder of his rookie contract before this extension kicks in. This is a good deal by the Jaguars.

And I'm just now realizing that Trevor will still play out the remainder of his rookie contract before this extension kicks in. This is a good deal by the Jaguars.
Yeah, unless he continues to be, you know, mediocre. Of course they can just cut him in the NFL if he sucks and if he’s generational he’ll most assuredly hold out.

Last edited:
Back to the Open... if you're going tomorrow, print out a tee sheet before you go. They don't have them on site any more, and the on-course wifi coverage is horrible,.

Back to the Open... if you're going tomorrow, print out a tee sheet before you go. They don't have them on site any more, and the on-course wifi coverage is horrible,.
Took my son over the weekend to the Open, a great time despite the heat...well planned tournament, no issues with parking, shuttle buses, etc...glad it's a five year staple in Pinehurst now!

Took my son over the weekend to the Open, a great time despite the heat...well planned tournament, no issues with parking, shuttle buses, etc...glad it's a five year staple in Pinehurst now!
I volunteered down there a few days and I agree that they did a great job of moving folks in/out of there. With them adding that nice USGA office in Pinehurst it seems they’ve really done their homework on getting things done there (so far).
Great time and great advertisement for the area.
Still amazed how quickly the area transitions from the upscale pinehurst areas to, shall we say, rustic NC. 😉

RIP Willie Mays. Had he not missed the better part of two seasons he may have had the all time HR record over Hank Aaron, or at least right up there with him.

RIP Willie Mays. Had he not missed the better part of two seasons he may have had the all time HR record over Hank Aaron, or at least right up there with him.
Loved Hammering Hank, but the Say Hey Kid was the best! RIP, Willie.

He only played 34 games before entering the Army, so he missed about 275 games. I don’t think he could have gotten as high as Aaron finished, that would have been another 95 homers, but he surely would have passed Babe.

He only played 34 games before entering the Army, so he missed about 275 games. I don’t think he could have gotten as high as Aaron finished, that would have been another 95 homers, but he surely would have passed Babe.
What really killed his chances was playing so many years at Candlestick.

Yea. I always wondered what Willie’s stats would have looked like. Just like Ted Williams who missed 3 years in his prime to go to WWII and another year in the Korean War.

What really killed his chances was playing so many years at Candlestick.
If he was a dead pull hitter, he’d have been OK, it was only 279’ down the left field line but 450’ to the power alley and 3 miles to dead center. It probably helped him lead the league in triples 3 times though.

Congratulatuions to the Hershey Bears and coach Todd Nelson for their Calder Cup win over Coachella Valley Firebirds (5-4 OT and 4-2 series), which makes them back-to-back Calder Cup Champs. They have won the Calder 13 times in their history. Too bad they're a farm club of the Craps.

Jim

Just back from our Mississippi River cruise. I surprisingly had an awesome time in the Delta despite the Satan's armpit temps. Great people in western Miss, although they're truly confused about the general concept of barbeque. And don't me started on the abomination that is white sauce.

Back