• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2020-21 Season and Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick analysis:

So the scoring is basically set-up to reward a goalie that lets in 3 goals or less in an average 30 shot game.

The SV% bonus will really only reward goalies that can keep the goals against under that (2 goals or less).

Goalies that allow a single goal in a game, are currently capped at a SV% bonus of 0.155.

A goalie that has faced 17 shots and allowed 1 goal (.941SV%) would effectively be the starting point of any new bonus scoring (or 34+ shots and 2 goals).

17-19 shots (.941-.947): +0.007-0.044 additional bonus pts
20-24 shots (.950-.958): +0.068-0.104 additional bonus pts
25-32 shots (.960-.969): +0.117-0.160 additional bonus pts
33-48 shots (.970-.979): +0.165-0.216 additional bonus pts
*49-99 shots (.980-.989): +0.217-0.270 additional bonus pts
*100-999shots (.990-.999): is this tier really necessary?

Don't forget that shutouts will also get all cumulative SV% bonuses (0.425pts) as well as their shutout bonus (1.5pts).

I hope my math is right.

Last edited:
Just for some goalie context, initially in year 1 we set up the goalie scoring system to be based on save%, because that gave the most accurate goalie standing. Typically in fantasy leagues a goalie like Tim Thomas was less valuable than a goalie like Martin Brodeur even though he was the best goalie in the league because he only played 50 games while Brodeur played 70. (However, that is less of a problem now that goalies don't play 70 games anymore).

After Blueman's win*, we moved to the game by game save% model, and set it up to produce the similar results that the yearly save% scoring model gave as that produced the most realistic goalie point system at the time.

But there is no magic to the scoring inputs. It was all about creating a realistic end of year standings, which may not be the case anymore, and I assume Fantrax has improved its scoring features since.

I appreciate learning the background on the goalie stat categories. I get the sense that there's one quote there that sort of explains it all:

"It was all about creating a realistic end of year standings"

I can definitely see why this would be desirable. I also just joined this year, so I have no real history to look at how the end of year goalie stats turned out.

But, I still feel there's something inherently wrong with settings that will give a bonus to a goalie with a .915 save percentage and not to a goalie with a .955 save percentage. Can't we get reasonable results that use a logical scoring system too?

If enough of us agree, I'll volunteer to be part of a committee to re-jigger these stats if the changes aren't as simple as I thought they'd be. I've felt like this is a big issue that ought to be corrected in season, but if everybody really wants to wait until the off-season, I guess that's okay too.

It will be addressed in the offseason, and we will add points to compensate goalies scoring in the .940 - .999 range as discussed a couple of pages back. I took a look at the scoring and from what I can see it should be a simple enough fix.

As for the NHL Draft issue mentioned above, sounds like a potential problem. We'll definitely need to monitor what the NHL is doing and discuss it after the season.

Are all the games that are being PPD due to covid going to be played at the end of this season or are they going to be trying to plop extra games in here and there?

Ive got quite a few man games lost cause of this.... gotta couple a teams around me with 20 or so more games played :)

Team Deckie made some roster changes today and left a healthy player on IR slots.

Hopefully this omission will be corrected before roster lock tomorrow.

Anton Khudobin was coming into this week on the heels of two 0.840 / 0.871 performances resulting in -0.15 / 0.19 FPts.
With the Dallas Stars scheduled to face the red hot Central Division leaders Florida Panthers (3X) and the Tampa Bay Lighting (1X), I thought it might be best to leave Khudobin on the bench in favor or my Boston Bruins duo.

The East Division leaders Boston Bruins where scheduled to face a great defensive team with low scoring in the NY Islanders (2x) and the sub .500 Panarin-less struggling NY Rangers (1X). Great signs pointing to Rask / Halak being in low scoring games this week.

So far this week :

Khudobin 2.66 FPts / 4.93 FPts performances vs Florida Panthers

Halak -1.3 FPts vs NY Islanders

Rask -0.86 FPts vs NY Rangers

Rask / Halak currently give me -2.6 FPts.

Rask / Khudobin could have given me 6.73 FPts.

Thats a 9.33 FPts difference in the standings for my team.
Ouch.

Anton Khudobin was coming into this week on the heels of two 0.840 / 0.871 performances resulting in -0.15 / 0.19 FPts.
With the Dallas Stars scheduled to face the red hot Central Division leaders Florida Panthers (3X) and the Tampa Bay Lighting (1X), I thought it might be best to leave Khudobin on the bench in favor or my Boston Bruins duo.

The East Division leaders Boston Bruins where scheduled to face a great defensive team with low scoring in the NY Islanders (2x) and the sub .500 Panarin-less struggling NY Rangers (1X). Great signs pointing to Rask / Halak being in low scoring games this week.

So far this week :

Khudobin 2.66 FPts / 4.93 FPts performances vs Florida Panthers

Halak -1.3 FPts vs NY Islanders

Rask -0.86 FPts vs NY Rangers

Rask / Halak currently give me -2.6 FPts.

Rask / Khudobin could have given me 6.73 FPts.

Thats a 9.33 FPts difference in the standings for my team.
Ouch.
Thinking is overrated

Could be worse. I've basically went the entire season with almost no goaltending since holtby is unplayable and lehner been day to day or games covided for what feels like all season

I’m looking to trade players for futures. I won’t trade Heiskanen or Makar. I’ll take younger players but want .9 ppg or better. Would also move picks in the right deal.

I am struggling with teams making lineup changes and leaving healthy players on IR slots.
It happened last year, and it's happening this year again and again.

Today it's HP making roster changes prior to roster lock and leaving healthy Voracek on IR.

I believe we need to monitor this situation and having healthy players on IR should "Make roster illegal" at some point.

There is a nice little option on Fantrax that goes as follow :

Injured Reserve Enforcement type: "Make roster illegal"

Number of Lineup Periods until Injured Reserve Enforcement takes effect: "1"
This is the number of unlocked Lineup Periods that teams are allowed to keep players in the Injured Reserve slot for, after they become healthy or come off suspension. For example, if your league uses Weekly Monday Lineup Periods and your team's player who is in the Injured Reserve slot becomes healthy on Wednesday, April 10, and you select "1" for this option, then you have the remainder of the current period (assuming that player's lineup was already locked at that time) plus 1 full period (i.e. until the deadline on Monday, April 22) in order to remove that player from the Injured Reserve slot.

If we were to use 1 Period for the second parameter, it would kinda legalize what HP and others have done this season, which is not removing an healthy player from IR right away. Then a full scoring period afterward, if the same player is left on IR, their roster would become illegal.

That's the minimum we should do here to have some sort or regulation.

Or we could use 0 Period and make teams illegal as soon as the next period starts if they have healthy players on IR, but I doubt this the direction this league would like to take, and frankly I don't think it is necessary to go this far.

This issue doesn't bother me too much, but if I was fighting for 1st or 2nd place like Thunder and Habspatrol I can see how it would be a concern.

I've played a lot on Yahoo, and I love how their system just doesn't let you make an illegal move if your roster would be non-compliant. No unbalanced trades, no adds if someone is on the IR on your roster but has come off in real life....it just simplifies for everyone and removes the need to police it.

So if Fantrax has a mechanism we can use to make that happen, I would also agree that it's smart.

I am struggling with teams making lineup changes and leaving healthy players on IR slots.
It happened last year, and it's happening this year again and again.

Today it's HP making roster changes prior to roster lock and leaving healthy Voracek on IR.

I believe we need to monitor this situation and having healthy players on IR should "Make roster illegal" at some point.

There is a nice little option on Fantrax that goes as follow :

Injured Reserve Enforcement type: "Make roster illegal"

Number of Lineup Periods until Injured Reserve Enforcement takes effect: "1"
This is the number of unlocked Lineup Periods that teams are allowed to keep players in the Injured Reserve slot for, after they become healthy or come off suspension. For example, if your league uses Weekly Monday Lineup Periods and your team's player who is in the Injured Reserve slot becomes healthy on Wednesday, April 10, and you select "1" for this option, then you have the remainder of the current period (assuming that player's lineup was already locked at that time) plus 1 full period (i.e. until the deadline on Monday, April 22) in order to remove that player from the Injured Reserve slot.

If we were to use 1 Period for the second parameter, it would kinda legalize what HP and others have done this season, which is not removing an healthy player from IR right away. Then a full scoring period afterward, if the same player is left on IR, their roster would become illegal.

That's the minimum we should do here to have some sort or regulation.

Or we could use 0 Period and make teams illegal as soon as the next period starts if they have healthy players on IR, but I doubt this the direction this league would like to take, and frankly I don't think it is necessary to go this far.
Weird. It's always been set at enforcement of 1 period....I'll fix. For some reason it was at like 20 periods, lol. 1 scoring period is fair in case the player is removed from IR late on Monday..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back