• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-2023 NHL Misc. Thread

Li'l Skinnew lose his tempew? Next time, drop your gloves. I'm not a big fan of fighting in the game, but it's much better than using a stick as a weapon.
There were a couple of slashes before the cross checks. And don’t forget, his first suspension was another temper tantrum when he was checked and kicked someone with his skate blade.

After failing to sign a contract with the Sens by December 1, Alex Formenton signed a contract with HC Ambri Piotta in Switzerland. The Sens retain his rights and he’s eligible to play for them next year if he signs a contract.

In the 2nd game of a back to back, the Red Wings are playing 31 year old Magnus Hellburg in goal instead of Ned. Hellburg has played 6 NHL games in a professional career that started in 2012.

And Ryan Reaves just blew up Filip Hronek on a borderline hit.

Remember when Stevie Y took Waddell to the woodshed with the trade for Ned? Woof! When do you think the Hurricanes will recover from that deal?
We got a series clinching goal out of that trade. The Canes got Jonathan Bernier and 2021 3rd round pick that was used on Aidan Hreschuk. Bernier became a UFA 5 days later, Hreschuk was sent to the Jackets in the Max Domi trade.

This is tough one because there seems to be a lot of groundswell for more 'rivalry games' but also a very strong desire to keep the schedule so every team plays every other team at least once. Those 2 things don't play well together with an 82 game schedule and a 32 team league.

There are plenty of issues with trying to manufacture more 'rivalry games" beyond not losing playing every other team at least once home and away:

* Who is Arizona's rival? Who is Ottawa's rival? Who is the Canes rival? Who is Columbus' rival?

* What happens if one of the rivals is an absolute train wreck while the other team is really really good? IE say Pittsburgh and Philly is declared a rivalry worthy of 6 games a season and so is NYR and NYI. If it was this season, Pittsburgh suddenly has a much easier schedule than most other teams in the Metro would (same would be true of Columbus' rival). It can get really out of whack (ie whoever has Anaheim as a rival this season or Arizona, or Chicago).

I understand what they want to do and why. For ME I really like being able to see every team in the league play us at home. I hope that whatever they do, they don't take that away.

Last edited:
If they eliminate divisions and stick with conferences, they could do a 77 game season. Play each conference opponent 3 times (15*3), each cross-conference opponent twice (16*2). But odd numbers don't work for a schedule unless you’re the NFL, where most of you money comes from TV rather than the gate), half the league would have 1 more home game, but they’d alternate every year.

If they eliminate divisions and stick with conferences, they could do a 77 game season. Play each conference opponent 3 times (15*3), each cross-conference opponent twice (16*2). But odd numbers don't work for a schedule unless you’re the NFL, where most of you money comes from TV rather than the gate), half the league would have 1 more home game, but they’d alternate every year.
Yup. And the way the divisions are set up, this wouldn't be that big a deal. Once you waded through the complaining from the "purists" of course.

But there's no way they give up full revenue games. I'd still rather see a balanced schedule with just conferences getting weight. I think you would see natural rivalries develop and then wane organically if you did that.

The holiday roster freeze goes into effect at midnight tonight and lasts until midnight on 12/27. No trades or AHL loans, but players can be recalled from the AHL, they just can’t be sent back down. I don’t think it will impact the Canes, they‘re not practicing today, so neither Aho or Andersen will play tomorrow, making Koochie and Drury safe.

The Globe and Mail had a story over the weekend, sadly behind their paywall, that London, ON police believe they have reasonable grounds to charge 5 members of Canada’s 2018 World Juniors team with sexual assault. They had opened the case in 2018 and closed it the following year. But over this past summer, they discovered a group text chat. No current Canes were on that team but Jake Bean was.

At some point I saw Bean's name on the list of players that fully cooperated with the investigation. Take that FWIW, the reporting has been erratic thanks to the tightly controlled way that Hockey Canada handled that whole mess.

Cam Atkinson will not play this season and the upper body injury may be career threatening.

Back