• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-2023 NHL Misc. Thread

If they eliminate divisions and stick with conferences, they could do a 77 game season. Play each conference opponent 3 times (15*3), each cross-conference opponent twice (16*2). But odd numbers don't work for a schedule unless you’re the NFL, where most of you money comes from TV rather than the gate), half the league would have 1 more home game, but they’d alternate every year.
16x2 (32) Cross Conference
8x4 (32) Cross Division
7x6 (42) Intra Division

or

16x1 (16) Cross Conference
8x2 (16) Cross Division
7x6 (42) Intra Division

or

16x1 (16) Cross Conference
8x3 (24) Cross Division
7x6 (42) Intra Division

Now that was easy :unsure:

Cross conference 2x16 = 32
Cross division 2x8 = 16
Division 7x4 = 28
76 Games..
Oh, I'd get incredibly bored by that. That season when Carolina was in the Central on the pandemic schedule broke me of ever wanting to see Chicago or Dallas EVER again. I'm still sick of them.

Oh, I'd get incredibly bored by that. That season when Carolina was in the Central on the pandemic schedule broke me of ever wanting to see Chicago or Dallas EVER again. I'm still sick of them.
Remember the days of the Southeast, when divisional opponents played 8 times? No thanks.

I tend to agree. Although I will say that the first games I always look to trade are many of the cross conference rivals. Besides maybe wanting to see McDavid, do I care if I see Minnesota, Vancouver, etc.? Not really. I guess you have to have a mix though.

I tend to agree. Although I will say that the first games I always look to trade are many of the cross conference rivals. Besides maybe wanting to see McDavid, do I care if I see Minnesota, Vancouver, etc.? Not really. I guess you have to have a mix though.
What I'm looking for personally is some level of interest. A star player or two, maybe an interesting style of play ... something. Most Western Conference teams offer some reason to show up, aside from Arizona.

Sorry I had the multiplication right but order wrong. 7×4 should have been it.
4 games vs the 7 other teams.
And going to 84 is the next easiest from that going to 3 games vs the other in conference division. 4 extra H games 4 road and they flip yty

Sorry I had the multiplication right but order wrong. 7×4 should have been it.
4 games vs the 7 other teams.
And going to 84 is the next easiest from that going to 3 games vs the other in conference division. 4 extra H games 4 road and they flip yty
Cool. I still would prefer open Conference scheduling AND seeding for the playoffs. I just don't think the current Division structure is adding anything at all.

In last night’s Isles-Avs game, Mat Barzal was going to be called for tripping Cale Makar. The ref raised his arm, Makar saw it and waved it off, saying he fell on his own, which he did. No penalty was called. Contrast that with the friendly fire high stick that KK was assessed in the Kraken game. One of the refs (Garrett Rank?) acknowledged that it was a blown call but did nothing about it.

In last night’s Isles-Avs game, Mat Barzal was going to be called for tripping Cale Makar. The ref raised his arm, Makar saw it and waved it off, saying he fell on his own, which he did. No penalty was called. Contrast that with the friendly fire high stick that KK was assessed in the Kraken game. One of the refs (Garrett Rank?) acknowledged that it was a blown call but did nothing about it.

Wow. Regardless of the officiating that’s pretty classy by Makar. In a 0-0 game too.

Tomorrow’s game between the Jackets and Slugs in Columbus has been postponed. The Buffalo airport is still closed and the Slugs can’t get out of town.

They can put the snow shoes and cross country skis plus dog sleds and make an early outdoor game.

FWIW, I saw a couple of Caps fans at the game last night wearing branded Stadium Series gear ... which they clearly got out for Christmas while the Canes did not. Well done, doofuses.

FWIW, I saw a couple of Caps fans at the game last night wearing branded Stadium Series gear ... which they clearly got out for Christmas while the Canes did not. Well done, doofuses.
Nope…the Caps are on the same release schedule as we are...both teams dropped their logos on the same day. My guess is that you saw gear from previous Caps appearances in outdoor games.

I'm still concerned about the amount of Caps fans that will be in attendance in that game. If their season ticket holders got access to the tickets at the same time ours did, there's going to be tons of them there

Nope…the Caps are on the same release schedule as we are...both teams dropped their logos on the same day. My guess is that you saw gear from previous Caps appearances in outdoor games.
That's the story I received from The EYE personnel when I expressed my astonishment that the Stadium Series jerseys were not available before Christmas. They claim the NHL controls the release schedule. I was able to buy a sweet outdoor game sweatshirt for a mere $200, less the STM discount.

The Leafs were fined $100k by the league for violating the CBA by flying to St. Louis on 12/26.
The salary cap certainly frees up cash for them to flout CBA rules with impunity relative to most of the rest of the league.

Back